Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

For 60% of the regular season, I agree. And I don't have the answer as to "why".

But in like 40% of the regular season and 100% of the postseason, it's a different style.

Even @MacReady acknowledged the difference, so you KNOW it's gotta be true.

Way too small of a random sample, two games. Also, it's not 100%. Everybody knew the 49ers were going down and scoring the last drive. 

• Like 2

Just now, Old Guy said:

Way too small of a random sample, two games. Also, it's not 100%. Everybody knew the 49ers were going down and scoring the last drive. 

It's 3 games. And I don't participate in using hindsight to justify things. 

The defense has stopped final drives in other big moments under Barry. 

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We're averaging 15.5 ppg on offense and 15ppg on defense in our 2 playoff losses with Joe Barry.

But can you keep him based off his entire body of work? We also had some luck in both games in the PO this year? His last loss yes also. But his in season coaching and units play is what presents a larger view, thoughts? 

9 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

The dream us dead. Most signs pointing to another year of Barry

I saw someone point out that this time last year MLF walked out there a said he anticipated Barry being back. Today he did not and said he’d review and make decisions. Dream ain’t dead yet baby

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I saw someone point out that this time last year MLF walked out there a said he anticipated Barry being back. Today he did not and said he’d review and make decisions. Dream ain’t dead yet baby

Read the quotes I just edited in.

I actually read the 2nd one wrong lol. But the contract not being up seems like a significant hurdle. TLDRd the **** out of that haha

I'll hold on though. 

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Read the quotes I just edited in.

I actually read the 2nd one wrong lol. But the contract not being up seems like a significant hurdle. TLDRd the **** out of that haha

I'll hold on though. 

It's not that much of a hurdle .. LaFleur can just offer Barry another role for 2024 and then get himself a new DC.  If the new DC doesn't want him around then just fire the guy.  I'm sure Barry could be valuable in some other capacity if retained.  He's had three mediocre seasons as a DC, and the Packers have reached a point where the bar must be raised.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's not that much of a hurdle .. LaFleur can just offer Barry another role for 2024 and then get himself a new DC.  If the new DC doesn't want him around then just fire the guy.  I'm sure Barry could be valuable in some other capacity if retained.  He's had three mediocre seasons as a DC, and the Packers have reached a point where the bar must be raised.  

Him staying around as a positional coach or something is just odd and also makes MLF look weak. Clean house and let the new DC pick whoever they want.

• Like 1

The very principle of Barry’s defense dictates we are going to make it easy for teams to get the closing minutes points they need.

When your defense is predicated on bend, don’t break, you’re going to bend enough to always give them the chance at the end.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MacReady said:

The very principle of Barry’s defense dictates we are going to make it easy for teams to get the closing minutes points they need. When your defense is predicated on bend, don’t break, you’re going to bend enough to always give them the chance at the end.

I've seen it in practice so many times, that I've wondered to myself if the D was more comfortable backed up to the EZ. It sounds stupid and I'm sure it's not the case....but just consider *how many times* the games on the line and we're squeezed into defending the shorter field.

33 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Oh I think he should be gone. Just now there's a step between "We've decided to go a different direction". Instead actively telling him "You're not good enough". We'll see if it gets done.

I think nows the time to get a top DC in here if one is available, if you gotta pay extra, you do it.  The offense is about to take off next year.  Need to lift this defense too.

• Like 3

I want to talk about a few other things that Joe Barry did this year which do not always show up directly on the game results:

1. He set his depth chart early in the offseason and did not deviate from it while the offense was doing exactly the opposite.   It took stokes and other injuries for decent to good players like Valentine to see the field.  Lukas Van Ness, despite being the first round pick never earned more snaps as the season progressed.  Again, it took an injury in the playoffs to eclipse that 40% snap mark.
  2. This is in stark contrast to the offense:  It was so clear that all the roster spots and starting spots and snaps were up for grabs from any worthy player on offense.  you can see it in the offensive line rotation.  That was never the case on defense.  Why is there so little experimentation and tinkering going on with a poor unit on a rebuilding/reloading team.
  3. The team was inconsistent, yes.  Which is really a fancy way of saying they were bad.  It means possibly you could be good, which means you are on the whole, quite poor.  I would characterize the defense as borderline unprofessional for stretches of the year.  The players did not agree with the coaching.  There was a lot of tension at the least.
  4. Players didn't improve their level of play over the course of Joe Barry's 3 years.  Quay Walker and Devonte Wyatt are the closest thing to players who looks a lot better since joining the Joe Barry Defense.  And they are both first round picks who joined after pettine and I would even say they improved at a normal level from  year 1 to year 2.
  • Like 2