Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

I think at this point you have to be lookin to see what's out there as a DC.  You don't want to can Barry and find out there's garbage out there.  Change just for change can get you in trouble.

Let it play out.  Pretty sure if there is a suitable replacement, MLF would consider it, but it has to fit.  There's a lot that goes into it.

If he can find an upgrade that fits, go for it.

With so many sure that the cutting of ties with Barry will solve all the world's problems that other inhouse possibilities or outside additions get little discussion. It is possible that Barry remains and someone like Staley is added to the staff as a Senior Defensive Asst./Asst. Head Coach or some other title of importance. 

And yes, I am aware that Bisaccia is already listed as the Asst. Head Coach. 

27 minutes ago, R T said:

With so many sure that the cutting of ties with Barry will solve all the world's problems that other inhouse possibilities or outside additions get little discussion. It is possible that Barry remains and someone like Staley is added to the staff as a Senior Defensive Asst./Asst. Head Coach or some other title of importance. 

And yes, I am aware that Bisaccia is already listed as the Asst. Head Coach. 

You have to do something like this if you bring back Barry. Barry absolutely 1000% should've been fired after Carolina. This staff has no one close to being ready to be a DC, so retaining Barry was the right call. If the choice to retain him is made again, a DC worthy addition to our staff is a must. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Every time the other team gets the ball, I think they are going to go down the field and score. Against good teams, I'm shocked when it doesn't happen. 

My statement is a little unfair to Barry's total body of work, but he just doesn't dominate teams to where you know they can't beat us. With the draft investments we've made on defense, we are not getting a decent ROI from our DC. It's time to move in a different direction. No promoting from within either. 

this is a good point, Old Guy

look at the SIGNIFICANT allocation of resources we have given to this side of the ball. not only draft capital but % of the cap as well

I have felt in his time here that Barry did not get the best of this unit, especially when considering the level of investment. this cannot continue, a change must be made

3 hours ago, persiandud said:

this is a good point, Old Guy

look at the SIGNIFICANT allocation of resources we have given to this side of the ball. not only draft capital but % of the cap as well

I have felt in his time here that Barry did not get the best of this unit, especially when considering the level of investment. this cannot continue, a change must be made

The resource allocation is such a bogus argument I really don't know why educated posters make it.

How many 1st round offence players did Rodgers ever have? When was the last time we drafted an offence player in the 1st round bar Love? Sherrod, Bulaga, Rodgers, Walker and Frank's, that is all the 1st rounders in the last 23 years we have invested in!!! Did any of that hamper Favre and Rodgers, having consistently great offences???

On the flip our 2nd rounders have been dominated by offence players, going back the last 23 years we have drafted 18 offence players in the 2nd round against 7 defence players. Furthermore, the majority of our 1st round investment on defence comes at the bottom of the 1st and the difference between a player in the 20's and 40's is slight compared to a top 12 pick and a late first rounder.

Does any of that make a difference. Nope! It doesn't matter what draft allocation you put in, players are found all over the place in a draft. Is it a negative that Aaron Jones was not a first rounder but a 5th rounder and the 2nd running back we took in that particular draft????

Main thing is do we have talent on defence regardless of what has been invested thus far? Campbell went from All Pro to All Poop, Jaire can't stay healthy, Clark's form has dipped but picked up recently, Gary got paid and has done diddly and Savage is on an expensive one year deal for his level of play. We need more talent in the team regardless of what has already been invested. We have got lemons and hence we have lemonade.

While you look at the journeyman that came on cheap deals and how they have played: Rasul, Owens, Nixon, Ballentine, Campbell (before he got paid), Rudy Ford, Jarran Reed, all of these guys have played well (enough) and that is a credit to the coaches and Gute.

Bottom line regardless of who the coach of the defence is, the defence needs more talent injected into it and what has been invested in didn't yield the return that was hoped and that is the nature of the NFL not all 1st rounders are studs.

Edited by Brit Pack

@Brit Pack i agree with your post on several points. it doesn't matter where you get good players. our offense has a bunch of players that weren't selected in the 1st round, in fact only 1 (Jordan Love). we've built a good offense and that's a credit to our scouting and coaching to develop those guys

however, if you keep spending premium picks on one side of the ball, there comes a level of expectation with that

for instance, let's say a team spends 3 1sts on their offensive line, and another team spends 3 7th round picks. you can't tell me that the team spending 7th round picks to fix their OL carries the same level of expectation. 1st round picks are paid more. NFL teams spend more time developing their 1st round picks

so you're telling me it doesn't matter that we've spent so much money and draft capital, but it does. it sets the team back

maybe we shouldn't keep spending premium picks on defense! let's stack strength on strength and build a ridiculous offense. but you know what, i don't care where Gutey finds defenders, we need more talent. get it however you can. the defense isn't good enough