Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

8 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I really don't like how his DBs try and jump every route so I like the concept more than the actual idea 

We have to be aggressive and we have to re-learn how to force a turnover.

56 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:
1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Stop it! You are the king of revising statements to cover for being wrong. "Can't win a Super Bowl if a quarterback counts more than 12% of the cap!" 

Like @Packerraymond said, @incognito_man never said he had to stay. He was pointing out why he maybe should stay. Big difference. 

I think even that was a bit exaggerated.  Incog, and I were both arguing "for" Barry after the 49ers game but it was more about eliminating conformation bias than anything actually for Barry, at least on my end.  Blaming the DC for Christian McCaffrey breaking a tackle just isn't fair to Barry.  He didn't call the "miss a tackle play" when radioing down to the field.  The reasons to fire Barry played out in the regular season, both this year and parts of last year.  The last 4 games of this season didn't add to that, and were actually pretty good.

yeah, this. I was literally just asking questions and REPEATEDLY said DC was an upgradeable staff position and that Barry's regular season performance was not good enough.

It's so weird to me how people get so attached to their opinions (especially on stuff like coaching changes where fans have less than 1% of the relevant information). Number of folks here tethered their online identities to Joe Barry, so simply pointing out ANYTHING that was not expressly negative of him felt like an attack on them. It, of course, was not.

As I repeatedly said, I am very excited to see who MLF brings onboard and who Gute will give them in FA and the draft to re-tool that unit (which badly needs it on the back-end).

Someone should add a poll or new thread w/ leading names so we can vote on our favorite replacement!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Barry and me, me and Barry. No more! It will take time for me to get over this but at least we had London together, no one can take that away from us. I will miss that sweet face. Game days will never be the same again!!!!

image.png

ya holding a lead late in games will be a new experience for all of us ,lol, I couldn't control myself Brit haha.

we'll love the new guy, I'am optimistic.

• Like 1

I hope LaFleur is willing to go with someone that will be allowed to run their own show.  I really think there probably should be close to a clean sweep on that defensive side.  A lot of these position coaches have been around for all or some of this, and they've got the Barry stink on them.  

• Like 2

I gotta think MLF has somebody in mind.  Don't think you fire Barry and go see what's out there?  Still gotta go through the process but I think he's gotta have a lean somewhere. JMO

• Like 1

Just no to any of the HCs or DCs that were fired or "let go" this year. That includes Vrabel (his track record stinks imo). I don't want a loser culture coming in, we need energy on this defense. 

Edited by BluePacker
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I hope LaFleur is willing to go with someone that will be allowed to run their own show.  I really think there probably should be close to a clean sweep on that defensive side.  A lot of these position coaches have been around for all or some of this, and they've got the Barry stink on them.  

Big time. Don’t force Jerry Montgomery on anyone again 

I just want two things 

1. someone is adaptive . Someone who gameplans around the strengths of the team and weaknesses of the opponents. 

2. someone who puts the players in the best place to succeed. Similar to game planning around strengths I guess. I just want a coach who bases what they do on the players they have and not scheme dependent . 

• Like 1

Defensive coordinator is cyclical just like hiring an offensive minded young coach to go with your young QB.

It was true around the time we hired Pettine, I remember doing the digging, that typically you get a first and second year boost from your DC before they completely fall apart. It was true for Capers (second year I believe was Super Bowl year), and it was true for Pettine.

In my opinion, defensive coordinators don’t have to be smart or even good. They just have to have the fundamentals down and be creative.

Then, if they leverage that into a head coaching position, good. If not, you move on after year three at the most.

This is why I don’t want any repeat offenders. You’re not going to suddenly change your entire mindset. If you’ve been around the league, there’s plenty of tape and teams will know what to expect and how to prepare.

This is why I want Al Harris or some other former player, young and hungry and wanting to become a head coach.

Al Harris is a great choice. Hire him as defensive coordinator. Give him year one to just have fun with it and confuse opponents through creativity and aggression. Get him into the QB room in year two, get him an understanding of how the offense operates, prepare him for a head coaching bid.

Take the NFL perks of having him get a head coaching gig.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Defensive coordinator is cyclical just like hiring an offensive minded young coach to go with your young QB.

It was true around the time we hired Pettine, I remember doing the digging, that typically you get a first and second year boost from your DC before they completely fall apart. It was true for Capers (second year I believe was Super Bowl year), and it was true for Pettine.

In my opinion, defensive coordinators don’t have to be smart or even good. They just have to have the fundamentals down and be creative.

Then, if they leverage that into a head coaching position, good. If not, you move on after year three at the most.

This is why I don’t want any repeat offenders. You’re not going to suddenly change your entire mindset. If you’ve been around the league, there’s plenty of tape and teams will know what to expect and how to prepare.

This is why I want Al Harris or some other former player, young and hungry and wanting to become a head coach.

Al Harris is a great choice. Hire him as defensive coordinator. Give him year one to just have fun with it and confuse opponents through creativity and aggression. Get him into the QB room in year two, get him an understanding of how the offense operates, prepare him for a head coaching bid.

Take the NFL perks of having him get a head coaching gig.

I see your point, but just wonder if the Packers completely shredding that defense 2 weeks ago would play a part in that decision?

Edited by NFLGURU