Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

2 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

MLF needs to be careful here.  He needs to make a change, but his next DC might sink MLFs ship.  You can't hire a risky candidate.  You gotta know the guy you bring in can elevate this defense.  

Any choice he makes carries risk, and getting it wrong again will absolutely get him fired.  There is no such thing as "knowing" the next guy will elevate the defense beyond the general truth that the bar has been set very low by Barry.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

MLF needs to be careful here.  He needs to make a change, but his next DC might sink MLFs ship.  You can't hire a risky candidate.  You gotta know the guy you bring in can elevate this defense.  

He hired a risky candidate he  knew to begin with in Barry!!   If he doesn't get a quality guy in there his ship will sink regardless.  Make the frickin change and don't make the same mistake.

• Like 2

it's been said, but I'd sure like to see Jim Leonhard in the DC chair- at Wisconsin his D was really disruptive based on linebacker play... I think he would turn Rashan Gary and Quay Walker into all-pro consideration type of producers

i'm not interested in retreads like Zimmer, (though I wouldn't hate Lovie Smith) also not interested in Fangio guys as they've been exposed, and maybe that could be argued about Leonhard, who came from a Ryan family system, but I'm not so certain. 

Whoever it is, I hope they come in with an attitude.  This defense has had a reputation of being soft for a few years now- and I actually think they have some young players on D that play with some edge and intensity to use as building blocks.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Any choice he makes carries risk, and getting it wrong again will absolutely get him fired.  There is no such thing as "knowing" the next guy will elevate the defense beyond the general truth that the bar has been set very low by Barry.

There are some more riskier than others.  You want a guy with a proven track record if possible.  A guy like Leonhard or Al Harris is risky.  They might turn out great, but would you put your job on the line for either of them?  

Tough call, but he's gotta get rid of Barry for sure.

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Whats your new avatar from

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's worth remembering that MLF is part of the problem here.  His obsession with the Fangio defense is what brought Barry here in the first place.  I think Staley being the next guy is a very real possibility.

Hiring one "fangio guy" after he offered it to a non-fangio guy is an obsession with fangio defense? I don't think you can say that unless he does it again.

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Hiring one "fangio guy" after he offered it to a non-fangio guy is an obsession with fangio defense? I don't think you can say that unless he does it again.

He's said over and over that this is the style of defense he wants to play.  I think I can call it an obsession.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

It's worth remembering that MLF is part of the problem here.  His obsession with the Fangio defense is what brought Barry here in the first place.  I think Staley being the next guy is a very real possibility.

I brought Staley up as a possibility a couple of months ago.   Did great with the Rams but having Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey and Von Miller certainly helps.   I wouldn't be surprised.

16 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

There are some more riskier than others.  You want a guy with a proven track record if possible.  A guy like Leonhard or Al Harris is risky.  They might turn out great, but would you put your job on the line for either of them?  

Tough call, but he's gotta get rid of Barry for sure.

No more retread D coordinators .. they don't have a job for a reason.  Fresh blood, fresh energy, fresh ideas, fresh aggression is what the GB Packers need.

• Like 2