Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

I would really be interested in bringing in Chris Ash.

He runs a 4-3 quarters defense with attacking blitz principles.

The Texas head coach went on to describe Ash's scheme philosophy, praising it for being both accessible for players and tough to read for opposing offenses.  

"When I interviewed Chris, he said 'be simple, but not predictable,'" Herman said. "I thought the greatest way to stay successful on defense. Be simple in what you do and what you ask your kids to do. Let them run fast, hit hard and tackle well, but have enough wrinkles where the offense cant get a bead on you.”

Edited by hoekd0250
  • Like 1

A name that hasn't been mentioned yet....Glen Schumann, DC for the Georgia Bulldogs. learned under 2 of the best, Smart and Saban

we need a young coach who LaFleur can bounce ideas off of and they can both push each other  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

I would really be interested in bringing in Chris Ash.

He runs a 4-3 quarters defense with attacking blitz principles.

The Texas head coach went on to describe Ash's scheme philosophy, praising it for being both accessible for players and tough to read for opposing offenses.  

"When I interviewed Chris, he said 'be simple, but not predictable,'" Herman said. "I thought the greatest way to stay successful on defense. Be simple in what you do and what you ask your kids to do. Let them run fast, hit hard and tackle well, but have enough wrinkles where the offense cant get a bead on you.”

Every team that had a pulse put up very good numbers against this guy's defense. Not sure he's a guy I want to lean on for us to turn the corner. 

Washington went up and down the field. Then look at what Michigan did to Washington a week later. 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Every team that had a pulse put up very good numbers against this guy's defense. Not sure he's a guy I want to lean on for us to turn the corner. 

Washington went up and down the field. Then look at what Michigan did to Washington a week later. 

badgers coordinator under beliema 

And coordinator for Ohio state during urban meyers run.
He was Texas coordinator in 2020.

last year db’s coach for the raiders.

Edited by hoekd0250
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'm feeling more and more like it's gonna be Leonhard and that's going to end well for us.

@beekay414 @Packerraymond what, if anything, can we glean from Leonhards recent roles and what, of anything, should the takeaway be? Did he improve the defensive staff/team he joined?

Also, why didn't he take a different coaching gig? Is he like a big on loyalty guy and didn't want to just do a year or two somewhere and is looking for a place to commit to longer?

Have no idea what he really did at Illinois, so can only really go off of his time at UW. 

I think as far as personality he's everything LaFleur wants as a coach, total players coach (which is why I don't consider Wink a real option), those kids were pushing management hard to remove the interim title and keep him as HC. Ultimately we know that didn't work out, but it wasn't because there was a lack of support there for him.

Defensively he kind of draws off his playing mentors and coaching mentors. His biggest playing mentor was obviously Rex Ryan and the bevy of assistants Rex had that become coordinators (Pettine included). You can also see a lot of Dave Aranda in him too, who was the Badgers DC when he was secondary coach, left for LSU and now is HC at Baylor.

From 30000 feet, you're basically going to see Pettine/Ryan's 3rd down looks, with blitzes, mock blitzing, stunts, etc.... 3rd down is the down that scheme targets to get to and there's a whole playbook of options for it. Looking to attack or deceive you rather than play coverage. I feel like Leonhard plays base early a lot more than Pettine did, but that's college where you don't have a gauntlet of pro QBs to beat you so we'll see there. Overall I'd expect a similar look to Pettine (who had us at 10 in DVOA in 2020) with a focus to tidy up the run fit issues that scheme had.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, persiandud said:

A name that hasn't been mentioned yet....Glen Schumann, DC for the Georgia Bulldogs. learned under 2 of the best, Smart and Saban

we need a young coach who LaFleur can bounce ideas off of and they can both push each other  

He's probably making 2-3x an NFL coordinators salary.

I still want Leonhard. I know their is a badger homerism their but he had those Wisconsin defenses playing well above their weight class talent wise. I've soured on Wink and I don't want another DC retread or a position coach although I wouldn't mind interviewing some Baltimore assistants. Give me someone who has coached as a DC in college at a high level but has some experience in the NFL. 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I like the thought of young offensive HC teamed up with an older DC.  Give me Mike Zimmer teamed up with Jim Leonhard.

Ummmm....so you want LaFleur fired and go with Zimmer as DC and Leonard as HC? despite the fact both are defence coaches.

You're worse than Belichick. 🤣

Not sure why some people are jumping the Zimmer bandwagon. He has been out of the NFL for three years with only one small side gig since then and that was 2 years ago. It's almost certain he's fully retired.

Edited by Chili

35 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I like the thought of young offensive HC teamed up with an older DC.  Give me Mike Zimmer teamed up with Jim Leonhard.

No .. no ..no.  Mike Zimmer is a crusty, old, grumpier guy than I am.  Give me a younger, up and comer who's been around college guys that can scheme and adapt.  Leonard fits the bill by himself.