Who Has The Worst Offensive Roster?

BetterCallSaul

Has to be the Patriots, right? Murray, as awful as he is in the red zone, has shown way more than Mac. Bryce isn’t having an amazing start, but he’s definitely talented. 

Outside of QB - NE has Stevenson who had a good season last year, but is much less consistent this year. Trent Brown is having a good season but dude’s probably one of the least reliable players in the league. Left guard Cole Strange hasn’t been healthy and hasn’t looked great fighting through it. Right guard has largely been either rookie Sidy Sow or rookie Atonio Mafi - Sow’s looked a little better than Mafi but not above replacement level or anything. Onwenu is a solid younger piece and Andrews is pretty good but getting older. 

Henry and Gesicki are definitely solid players, tbf. They’re not producing all that much but it’s clear they’re not the problems. At receiver….Parker is nicked up and seems to only be able to catch 50/50 balls down the sideline…sometimes. Bourne actually shows some juice but not consistently at all, and he’s going to be coming off a torn ACL now. Thornton is a bust. JJSS can’t even get on the field. Damario Douglas is the only receiver on the team worth a damn. 

So at the end of the day, the only salvageable pieces on here really, are a super inconsistent, older tackle in Trent Brown, a solid OL piece in Onwenu, two solid tight ends, and a rookie Damario Douglas maybe. Andrews too, I suppose. Everyone else has been playing replacement level football this season. 

It might be kind of cheating to look into 2024, but when discussing cores I think it’s relevant. What does this team have to count on next season, like actually rely on getting solid play from? Gesicki, Henry, Brown, and Onwenu are setup to be UFAs. So it’s not QB, as of now. Not RB, Zeke will be gone (he’s meh anyway) and Stevenson is inconsistent. It’s not TE, no one’s under contract. It’s not OL, only Strange, Andrews, and two late round guards are under contract. Not WR, obviously. They don’t have a core to build upon. They’ve got the cap space and hopefully a top 5 pick but who really trusts Bill to spend it effectively lol.

Edited by Soko
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

To no one's surprise, the Jets are 4th worst:  no QB, no one significantly better than average at their specific position, mediocre O-Line, and no WR2.

Breece Hall & Garrett Wilson?

The O-line has been terrible, might not have a WR3 either. 

20 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Breece Hall & Garrett Wilson?

Both #1s, not quite in the top 16 [with that blocking and quarterbacking].

The O-line has been terrible, might not have a WR3 either. 

Agreed, though technically they lack a WR2 (33rd to 64th), which will be more difficult to replace.  The O-Line is even worse than the  sum of its parts.  There is worse coaching in the league but that remains an issue.

The good news is that the defense is rather solid and if they do find a second target even an average QB--say, a slightly washed cagey superstar--could do wonders here.

58 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Both #1s, not quite in the top 16 [with that blocking and quarterbacking].

Breece is definitely a top 15 RB. 13th in rushing yards, but has a better ypc than everyone in front of him, besides Mostert, and 6 of the players with more rushing yards have played 9 games to Hall's 8. Breece is a top 10 RB.

Edited by Jeezla

30 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Breece is definitely a top 15 RB. 13th in rushing yards, but has a better ypc than everyone in front of him, besides Mostert, and 6 of the players with more rushing yards have played 9 games to Hall's 8. Breece is a top 10 RB.

He's had such a weird season.  He's averaging 5.2 YPC despite the fact he's averaged 3.3 or less in 5/8 games.  But in the 3 games where he did better than 3.3, he did way better (12.7 on 10 carries (83 yard carry), 9.3 on 6 carries (43 yard carry), and 8.0 on 22 carries (72 yard carry).  Also the only games he's ran for 50+.

I do think he is one of the best RBs if I was making my own list, so I agree with you there. Just feel like when you dive deeper, he really hasn't been all that efficient this year (not that I fault him for it).

Edited by iknowcool

The Raiders are going to be pretty bad after Davante gets traded in the offseason. Josh Jacobs already looking like DeMarco Murray after Dallas ran him into the dirt. Mayer has some promise, but that's a bleak looking roster outside of Adams. And they've won too many games to get a Drake Maye or even whoever the #3 QB prospect is. Vegas gonna draft Bo Nix or Penix at pick 13, and he's gonna have Jakobi Meyers as his best weapon.

Edited by Jeezla

34 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

can you name 15 RB's that have been more efficient this year?

I guess it depends on how you look at it.  I don't think he's more efficient than say, Derrick Henry, even though Henry has a lower YPC at 4.4.  Breece has been a low-volume back and his YPC is strongly influenced by his 3 big runs.  Hall deserves credit for that, but to put it into context, you remove those 3 runs (83, 43, and 72) and he's had 91 carries for 295 at 3.1 YPC.  And those 3 games are the only games he's had longer than a 10 yard run (Henry has done it in all but 2 of his games).  His rushing success % (PFR) is 41%, which isn't great and is much lower than a lot of other guys.  26th among qualified RBs. 

7 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

And those 3 games are the only games he's had longer than a 10 yard run

It would probably help if he had more than 2 games with over 12 carries.
Either way, I think Hall is an obvious top 15 RB, talent/skill wise, and imo he should be even more explosive next year. I think he came back from his injury a little too soon and neutered himself of like 10% of his explosion. Next year he should get that 10% back, and hopefully NYJ can also add a good OL or two, but he should still be good even if they don't.

Edited by Jeezla

8 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

It would probably help if he had more than 2 games with over 12 carries.

Probably.  And like I said, I agree Breece Hall is one of the best (from a talent standpoint) RBs in the NFL.  But considering how lackluster his rushing production has been outside of those 3 runs, it is likely more carries would just level out and decrease his YPC.

Edited by iknowcool

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Probably.  And like I said, I agree Breece Hall is one of the best (from a talent standpoint) RBs in the NFL.  But considering how lackluster his rushing production has been outside of those 3 runs, it is likely more carries would just level out and decrease his YPC.

Which was my point.  That I don't think he's been as efficient as his YPC would indicate.    

I don't think it's a great year for RB efficiency in general, unless you play for Miami.
Prime AP/Marshawn would probably have a hard time being consistently efficient behind the Jets OL with Zach as their QB. Bum OL and frequent 8/9 man boxes? Good luck with that.

Edited by Jeezla

6 hours ago, iknowcool said:

He's had such a weird season.  He's averaging 5.2 YPC despite the fact he's averaged 3.3 or less in 5/8 games.  But in the 3 games where he did better than 3.3, he did way better (12.7 on 10 carries (83 yard carry), 9.3 on 6 carries (43 yard carry), and 8.0 on 22 carries (72 yard carry).  Also the only games he's ran for 50+.

I do think he is one of the best RBs if I was making my own list, so I agree with you there. Just feel like when you dive deeper, he really hasn't been all that efficient this year (not that I fault him for it).

Sounds like teammate Dalvin Cook in his younger days.

Which is still a good thing, FWIW.