For as long as I can remember, fans of most teams thought their offensive line was bad

CP3MVP

I been watching since 1992 and I think if you asked most fans they would think their teams offensive line was terrible. This has always been the case. If you went to a typical fan forum board in 2003 and looked at what most fans were saying they always criticized the line play.  I only bring this up because there seems to be an online consensus now that “offensive line play is the worst in nfl history” across the board and only like 5 teams in the league have good o lines but how true is this? Do you think fans in general are bad at evaluating offensive lines? For one many automatically look at sacks and assume it’s all the line and not the QB 

23 minutes ago, Danger said:

Can't imagine.

Jeff Stoutland is a god amongst men and puts out an impeccable product here for a decade now.

Before him Howard Mudd, before that Juan Castillo.  OL play in Philadelphia has spoiled Eagles fans almost as much as All Pro LB play has for the 49ers.

Something we as Eagle fans know nothing about!

Edited by Nabbs4u

On 11/10/2023 at 10:54 PM, CP3MVP said:

I been watching since 1992 and I think if you asked most fans they would think their teams offensive line was terrible. This has always been the case. If you went to a typical fan forum board in 2003 and looked at what most fans were saying they always criticized the line play.  I only bring this up because there seems to be an online consensus now that “offensive line play is the worst in nfl history” across the board and only like 5 teams in the league have good o lines but how true is this? Do you think fans in general are bad at evaluating offensive lines? For one many automatically look at sacks and assume it’s all the line and not the QB 

Yes us yahoos are bad at evaluating offensive lines. And fans are usually only watching their own team's line from week to week anyhow. 

One of the positives of the digital age is that in recent years there have been content creators that legit know what they're talking about which can help educate fans about the intricacies of various aspects of the game, like OL play. It's a huge investment of time though to educate oneself. But even knowing a little goes a long way. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

It's easy for fans of bad teams to scapegoat the O-line when they want to feel better about their QB or skill positions. I'm sure as a Jets fan I'm as guilty as anyone, though we have been pretty bad the last few years (and decimated with injuries).

The QB has so much to do with OL, at bare minimum sacks. Alex Smith took a lot of sacks, regularly in the 40s and 35 his last year. Mahomes behind the same OL, 26, and at 9 games this year has only 12. 

Now if your OL is truly awful then even pocket wizards can’t do anything about that. The run game can also largely be an OL factor and that is readily noticeable by casuals. 

9 hours ago, Chiefer said:

The QB has so much to do with OL, at bare minimum sacks. Alex Smith took a lot of sacks, regularly in the 40s and 35 his last year. Mahomes behind the same OL, 26, and at 9 games this year has only 12. 

Now if your OL is truly awful then even pocket wizards can’t do anything about that. The run game can also largely be an OL factor and that is readily noticeable by casuals. 

Yup. Smart QB's who know how to manipulate the pocket and know when to bail or get rid of the ball will reduce those problems. Not all sacks are equal

The fact is, an offensive line unless it is fantastic isn't going to hold up forever. 

33 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Yup. Smart QB's who know how to manipulate the pocket and know when to bail or get rid of the ball will reduce those problems. Not all sacks are equal

The fact is, an offensive line unless it is fantastic isn't going to hold up forever. 

While this is all factually true, All QB even the Greats/HOF'R's are/were effected by poor overall protection. 

While they can limit hits and sacks by maneuvering within the pocket, getting the ball out quick. Everyone of thier overall play if under constant unwavering pressure is effected.

Let's not pretend otherwise.