General discussion thread.

hornbybrown

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Defensive lines are underrated. Give me a great QB + great pass rushers and I will figure out the rest.

Browns could go full jags. Sign Cousin and draft Barkley and Chubb. Have that elite DL and a rushing attack that could take over a game. With a QB who can make plays when truly needed. Trust Cousins a lot more than Bortles. Got the rest of the draft and FA to add more pieces and part

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Browns could go full jags. Sign Cousin and draft Barkley and Chubb. Have that elite DL and a rushing attack that could take over a game. With a QB who can make plays when truly needed. Trust Cousins a lot more than Bortles. Got the rest of the draft and FA to add more pieces and part

If Cousins decided to come here, I would not hate this plan. I still think that Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold are good enough that we could take one and sign a lesser vet to stopgap for a year to set us up for the longhaul. But if you get the chance to get a (I think) clear top 12ish QB, then you go for it.

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

If Cousins decided to come here, I would not hate this plan. I still think that Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold are good enough that we could take one and sign a lesser vet to stopgap for a year to set us up for the longhaul. But if you get the chance to get a (I think) clear top 12ish QB, then you go for it.

I want both, Cousins and a QB #1 overall. Be set up for short term and long term futures 

I think it’s a horrible decision to just get Cousins. I believe that’s very short minded solution to losing. Trust me I want to get to winning as soon as possible but after thinking about it. And how enticing it would be to get cousins for maybe 5 years I think the smart move would be too get Alex Smith for the next 2-3 years. Pay him a premium. Draft Darnold and Barkley and set up our window to open for 2020. If we get Cousins we’ll never be drafting this high as long as his contract meaning we’ll never be picking the best QB prospect. We have that opportunity now. And I don’t want to pass it up. We’ve earned it. Just make it the pick 

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

I want both, Cousins and a QB #1 overall. Be set up for short term and long term futures 

Someone won't be happy.

Say we select Darnold #1 he isn't waiting around 4 or 5 years to become a starter, he will hold out, demand a trade or more realistically not sign and re-enter the 2019 draft. It has to be either/or. We could draft a QB later, like 2nd round where QBs know they will probably have to wait to start but not #1 overall picks or even top 5 picks.

1 hour ago, bosko1616 said:

I think it’s a horrible decision to just get Cousins. I believe that’s very short minded solution to losing. Trust me I want to get to winning as soon as possible but after thinking about it. And how enticing it would be to get cousins for maybe 5 years I think the smart move would be too get Alex Smith for the next 2-3 years. Pay him a premium. Draft Darnold and Barkley and set up our window to open for 2020. If we get Cousins we’ll never be drafting this high as long as his contract meaning we’ll never be picking the best QB prospect. We have that opportunity now. And I don’t want to pass it up. We’ve earned it. Just make it the pick 

Spot on.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Someone won't be happy.

Say we select Darnold #1 he isn't waiting around 4 or 5 years to become a starter, he will hold out, demand a trade or more realistically not sign and re-enter the 2019 draft. It has to be either/or. We could draft a QB later, like 2nd round where QBs know they will probably have to wait to start but not #1 overall picks or even top 5 picks.

It's hard for me to fathom us getting a 30 YO QB who in the last 3 years of being a full-time starter has gone for 81 td's to 36 int's and completed 67% of his pass attempts, and then spending a #1 pick on a QB. Kirk is literally top 10 in every statistical category, in most categories top 8, with a terrible running game, whose offensive weapons have gotten worse and worse each of those 3 years. 8 of the top ten QB's in passing yards this year are or will be turning 30 before a 2018 regular season game is played. in 2017 7 out of 10 were at that milestone. There would have been 8 but Brady had to miss 4 games due to being suspended. 

Does anyone really understand just how bad Washington is at running the football? They had nearly 300 fewer rushing yards than we did, on more carries, with a top 8 statistical QB in the game. Cousins led the team in rushing TD's. 

Let me lay it out for those who aren't following. We would have a chance to land a top 8 QB for the first time since Kosar, and have two picks in the top 4, as well as 5 total picks in the top 65 of the draft, plus about another 65-70 million to spend. 

Brady is 40

Rodgers is 34

Brees is getting ready to turn 40

Eli is 37

Peyton played until he was 39

Roethlisberger is 35

Rivers is 36

Matt Ryan is 32

Flacco is 33

The way the game is officiated today a QB can play until they are 40 years old, and not just play, but play well. IF we got a QB on Kirk Cousins level to sign with us, the future becomes now. Not next year, or in two years, or when our top draft pick QB actually develops, but Now. 

17 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

It's hard for me to fathom us getting a 30 YO QB who in the last 3 years of being a full-time starter has gone for 81 td's to 36 int's and completed 67% of his pass attempts, and then spending a #1 pick on a QB. Kirk is literally top 10 in every statistical category, in most categories top 8, with a terrible running game, whose offensive weapons have gotten worse and worse each of those 3 years. 8 of the top ten QB's in passing yards this year are or will be turning 30 before a 2018 regular season game is played. in 2017 7 out of 10 were at that milestone. There would have been 8 but Brady had to miss 4 games due to being suspended. 

Does anyone really understand just how bad Washington is at running the football? They had nearly 300 fewer rushing yards than we did, on more carries, with a top 8 statistical QB in the game. Cousins led the team in rushing TD's. 

Let me lay it out for those who aren't following. We would have a chance to land a top 8 QB for the first time since Kosar, and have two picks in the top 4, as well as 5 total picks in the top 65 of the draft, plus about another 65-70 million to spend. 

Brady is 40

Rodgers is 34

Brees is getting ready to turn 40

Eli is 37

Peyton played until he was 39

Roethlisberger is 35

Rivers is 36

Matt Ryan is 32

Flacco is 33

The way the game is officiated today a QB can play until they are 40 years old, and not just play, but play well. IF we got a QB on Kirk Cousins level to sign with us, the future becomes now. Not next year, or in two years, or when our top draft pick QB actually develops, but Now. 

See @Bosko1616 post previous to yours.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

See @Bosko1616 post previous to yours.

I'm sorry but at this point of my fandom I'm not interested or concerned about my 401k investments, I'm interested in what is going to get us winning football games right now. IF it's cousins, it's a guy we can get high quality play out of for at least the next 5-7 years. 

Brady was a 6th round QB. 

Keenum wasn't drafted.

Bortles was a top 5 pick.

Nick Foles was a 3rd round pick. 

3/4 of the starting QB's in the Championship games were drafted 3rd round or later, and the guy drafted early is one of the worst starting QB's in the league, and we are hellbent on only finding a guy if we take him early. 

5-7 years of mediocrity or 10-17 years of really good?  Potentially championship quality team. I just can’t figure any scenario of cousins giving us super bowl quality play. Unless we go all in on the defense and get maybe 5 years of really good play. Meanwhile the cap is strapped and we have to blow it up again and be crap for years as per usual. Yeah it will be better than 2007. But not by much. 

Do you guys realize that when Darnold gets to cousins age we will have had him for 10 years?  Instead of spending 30 million dollars per year we’d have Darnold on the cheap. Which leaves us tons of cap space to logically build the team around him. I have no doubt that Darnold will be a better qb than cousins. I want to be the picksburgs of the nfl. The Green Bays. The New Englands. Since some here feel we can have a qb into their 40s than Darnold can play for just about 20 years. 

Just take Darnold. It’s quite literally not that hard. 

Or if you prefer, Rosen or Mayfield. Don’t care as long as it’s our guy. 

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

5-7 years of mediocrity or 10-17 years of really good?  Potentially championship quality team. I just can’t figure any scenario of cousins giving us super bowl quality play. Unless we go all in on the defense and get maybe 5 years of really good play. Meanwhile the cap is strapped and we have to blow it up again and be crap for years as per usual. Yeah it will be better than 2007. But not by much. 

Do you guys realize that when Darnold gets to cousins age we will have had him for 10 years?  Instead of spending 30 million dollars per year we’d have Darnold on the cheap. Which leaves us tons of cap space to logically build the team around him. I have no doubt that Darnold will be a better qb than cousins. I want to be the picksburgs of the nfl. The Green Bays. The New Englands. Since some here feel we can have a qb into their 40s than Darnold can play for just about 20 years. 

Not sure how the guy with the proven stats of a successful QB can lead to mediocrity, but the guy that everyone says is a developmental project and not a sure thing (who yes, is also my QB #1 if we draft one high) is no doubt going to be successful. 

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Whether we go with Cousins, Darnold or trade for Tom Brady we need to build on the defense. There is a reason that 4 of the top 5 defenses in points against and 3 of the top 4 in yards against are still playing. You usually need a good QB and a top tier defense to make the conference championship game. There are exceptions, whether it be any given Sunday, an elite defense or elite QB but if you want to be consistently good and a contender you need the defense whether you have an okay, good or great QB.

Sam Darnold isn't going to lead the 31st defense in points against anywhere whether he turns into Brady Quinn or Tom Brady.

Archived