Jump to content
hornbybrown

General discussion thread.

Recommended Posts

Haley's presser:

Sounds polar opposite to Hueball in terms of O philosophy.

Which is nice! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Haley's presser:

Sounds polar opposite to Hueball in terms of O philosophy.

Which is nice! :)

There scheme seems similar to me, vertical routes.

What is the difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

There scheme seems similar to me, vertical routes.

What is the difference?

2 significant ones:

1. Doesn't believe in "systems"...sounds more like take what they give you or what you can get; and

2. Thinks scheming to get the most out of players' skills and putting them in positions to succeed is important.

Those are concepts antithetical to what Hueball has done.

Edited by bruceb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bruceb said:

2 significant ones:

1. Doesn't believe in "systems"...sounds more like take what they give you or what you can get; and

2. Thinks scheming to get the most out of players' skills and putting them in positions to succeed is important.

Those are concepts antithetical to what Hueball has done.

But they are also what Hue was supposed to be good at. That was all of the talk (not here necessarily) when he was hired. He put players in a position to succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

But they are also what Hue was supposed to be good at. That was all of the talk (not here necessarily) when he was hired. He put players in a position to succeed.

Hue and every other coach.

Dude’s giving the standard answer, nothing more, we’ll see if that’s actually the case when the season rolls around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916360/article/joe-thomas-lobbies-kirk-cousins-to-consider-browns

Have to be honest, JT kind of annoying me a bit this offseason.

He has earnt every right to speak his mind I'm sure. Being undecided on retirement doesn't bother me but his comments on Cousins sort of do.

Maybe it's just because I personally feel signing Cousins will hamstring our future success, passing on blue-chip QB prospects and settling for a 30 year old just to get some wins now. A guy who by the way is 26-31-1.

I get that he's a legend but he's also just the Left Tackle. Playing GM a bit too much for my liking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916360/article/joe-thomas-lobbies-kirk-cousins-to-consider-browns

Have to be honest, JT kind of annoying me a bit this offseason.

He has earnt every right to speak his mind I'm sure. Being undecided on retirement doesn't bother me but his comments on Cousins sort of do.

Maybe it's just because I personally feel signing Cousins will hamstring our future success, passing on blue-chip QB prospects and settling for a 30 year old just to get some wins now. A guy who by the way is 26-31-1.

I get that he's a legend but he's also just the Left Tackle. Playing GM a bit too much for my liking.

The resident conspiracy theorist in my wonders if we don't make a concerted effort to land Cousins that JT will retire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Have to be honest, JT kind of annoying me a bit this offseason.

Me, too.

 

7 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I get that he's a legend but he's also just the Left Tackle. Playing GM a bit too much for my liking.

And not well.

His credibility with me dried up and blew away when he supported keeping Hueball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916360/article/joe-thomas-lobbies-kirk-cousins-to-consider-browns

Have to be honest, JT kind of annoying me a bit this offseason.

He has earnt every right to speak his mind I'm sure. Being undecided on retirement doesn't bother me but his comments on Cousins sort of do.

Maybe it's just because I personally feel signing Cousins will hamstring our future success, passing on blue-chip QB prospects and settling for a 30 year old just to get some wins now. A guy who by the way is 26-31-1.

I get that he's a legend but he's also just the Left Tackle. Playing GM a bit too much for my liking.

Disagree his window is closing.  A lot of browns fans windows are closing on this team.  The Browns should be in "win now" mode, and I completely agree with his previous opinions that tanking doesn't work in the NFL, basically everybody who isn't Sashi Brown in the league does.

Also I would be hesitant to trust my own opinion over Joe's anyways.  He's an intelligent guy and has firsthand NFL experience.  Landing Cousins would be hugely beneficial.  Spending a season developing a QB after spending the last 2 seasons trying to develop your roster sounds like a way to never figure out what you have.

Of course if we take one of the blue chip guys and they start lighting it up right away it would be better.  But the probability of that is lower than where Cousins could probably take us.

Hardly matters anyways though, I doubt we land Cousins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Maybe it's just because I personally feel signing Cousins will hamstring our future success, passing on blue-chip QB prospects and settling for a 30 year old just to get some wins now.

100% agree.

My biggest concern about Dorsey is his making decisions designed to produce results (i.e., wins) now.

Expedient (vs. principled) decision -making.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916360/article/joe-thomas-lobbies-kirk-cousins-to-consider-browns

Have to be honest, JT kind of annoying me a bit this offseason.

He has earnt every right to speak his mind I'm sure. Being undecided on retirement doesn't bother me but his comments on Cousins sort of do.

Maybe it's just because I personally feel signing Cousins will hamstring our future success, passing on blue-chip QB prospects and settling for a 30 year old just to get some wins now. A guy who by the way is 26-31-1.

I get that he's a legend but he's also just the Left Tackle. Playing GM a bit too much for my liking.

Joe's definitely earned his right to speak. Perhaps the way he is doing it is a bit taboo, but he's shown loyalty to the city and team through multiple free agency rounds where he really didn't have to. He's been through rebuild after rebuild and botched pick after botched pick, so yes, when he sees a former 4th round pick who has done the things Cousins has done, he sees a guy that can elevate this team to be so much better. When it comes to debating Cousins and how good or average he is, we may as well put that debate right up there with gun control debates and politics, because I'm not gonna sway any anti-Cousins people to become pro-Cousins, and vise versa. Joe is a smart dude. He isn't just a box score shopper. He knows Kirk's record, his TD-INT ratio, how bad his teams running game and defense was, and the positives and negatives of his game. 

 

Nobody would give a damn if Joe was saying "I think we should take Darnold #1". Everyone that doesn't like Cousins though has an issue with this because they fear that he actually may be able to sway their decision towards offering Cousins a big contract to come here, which will all but eliminate us taking a QB #1 and likely result in us trading the pick.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone in this organization has earned the right to speak their mind freely it is Joe Thomas, He could have bolted long ago and could have signed with any contender in this league, but Joes fatal flaw being how loyal he is he stuck around this dumpster fire wasting the best years of his hall of fame career, so yea he can say whatever the F@$& he wants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2018 at 6:52 PM, Rod Johnson said:

The Browns should be in "win now" mode,

Win what now?

7-9?

8-8?

The objective is to sustainably compete to win and to win the SB and most anything we do to "win now" will be inconsistent with achieving the objective.

I think Sashi understood that.

Not so sure that the Haslams, Dorsey, Hueball, et al., do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

If anyone in this organization has earned the right to speak their mind freely it is Joe Thomas

No doubt, but it would be nice if what he was saying made sense for the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×