General discussion thread.

hornbybrown

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

Win what now?

7-9?

8-8?

The objective is to sustainably compete to win and to win the SB and most anything we do to "win now" will be inconsistent with achieving the objective.

I think Sashi understood that.

Not so sure that the Haslams, Dorsey, Hueball, et al., do.

Those are Cousins records on a team with bad defensive play, with no running game, and this year virtually no weapons. If we signed him, we'd have several early draft picks along with additional free agency money to build a solid team from the top down. 

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

In his expertise that is what he believes is best for the team, and I’m gonna go ahead and take his word for what is best for this team over anyone on this board 

I mean...maybe.

Just because he’s on the team doesn’t mean he knows how to win football games. Ray Farmer was on football teams.

It’s the same argument that people use regularly “well they’re the experts so they know more than you”.  Quite simply, no.  If the Browns would have let me, or many other posters, run this team the last decade and a half we’d have been, at a minimum, no worse off.

Just because they’re professionals doesn’t mean they’re good at their job.

It’s a lazy argument that I only hear people parroting when they agree with the particular opinion.

46 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If we draft Sam Darnold, I expect heavy dosages of RPO in our offense next year. The guy can move and hit slants. It would open up our offense. It worked out pretty well for the Eagles.

I don't expect Hue Jackson or Todd Haley to do something outside of their rigid schemes. Neither seems to incorporate concepts based on their players. They both run power blocking schemes based off of play action shots down the field. Not very RPO-like. I'd love it if we did, but I don't expect it to happen.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't expect Hue Jackson or Todd Haley to do something outside of their rigid schemes. Neither seems to incorporate concepts based on their players. They both run power blocking schemes based off of play action shots down the field. Not very RPO-like. I'd love it if we did, but I don't expect it to happen.

you can easily run RPOs off of a power run scheme tho. 

IF you look at Haley and the steelers. He never truly had to change concepts. Steelers have always had Big Ben as the QB, a stud RB, and a legit downfield threat. Hell Steelers have had the combo of BigBen, Bell, and Brown since 2013. Heck how many teams can go 5 straight years with the same trio (QB, RB, and WR) for 5 straight years. I honestly cant think of the last team that had that kind of a stretch. Only one I can think of is Manning/Janes/Harrison

Also Haley could change due to the fact he might have a rookie QB being his starting QB. He has always had an established QB as his QB. Arizona he had Warner, KC he had Cassel, and with Pitt he has Big Ben. I could see him change it up, incorporating concepts that worked well for Darnold in college or what not. 

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't expect Hue Jackson or Todd Haley to do something outside of their rigid schemes. Neither seems to incorporate concepts based on their players.

Hueball obviously has a rigid scheme, the same one he force-fed last year even though it was or should have been apparent that it was not going to work as it requires elite talent across the board on the O, which we of course did not have.

Not so sure that the same can be said about Haley.

I see some serious head-butting down the road with Haley ripping Hueball's head off and using his throat as a receptacle for urine.

16 hours ago, buno67 said:

IF you look at Haley and the steelers. He never truly had to change concepts. Steelers have always had Big Ben as the QB, a stud RB, and a legit downfield threat. Hell Steelers have had the combo of BigBen, Bell, and Brown since 2013.

Ya, I think lumping Haley with Hueball as a guy wed to his scheme is off the mark.

I think Haley is smart enough to play to his players' strengths.

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

Ya, I think lumping Haley with Hueball as a guy wed to his scheme is off the mark.

I think Haley is smart enough to play to his players' strengths.

One thing I like about Haley, he has made a lot of WRs look really good in his system too. He understands schemes and concepts that get guys open. none of that 3Vert crap

On 2/16/2018 at 6:52 PM, bruceb said:

Win what now?

7-9?

8-8?

The objective is to sustainably compete to win and to win the SB and most anything we do to "win now" will be inconsistent with achieving the objective.

I think Sashi understood that.

Not so sure that the Haslams, Dorsey, Hueball, et al., do.

I don't think trying to go 7-9 with a veteran QB is going to hurt us in the long term.  I think it helps us in the long term to find out what we can have decent success doing and would help any future QB to walk into that situation.  I don't even think a QB as mentally deficient as rookie Kizer takes us from 8-8 to 0-16.  He had to do way too much last year because nobody really knew what they were doing.

I just don't buy getting your top 5 QB is the most pivotal aspect of establishing a successful team.  Minimizing what we demand from the QB will help us win whether they are playing great or not.

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Wonder if that's one of the things he and Hueball are "ironing out"?

maybe lol

Or they want to iron out the ability to give your QB to call a QB sneak whenever they want. Hue thinks its a great idea and Haley thinks it is dumb lol

Archived