General discussion thread.

hornbybrown

20 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I wouldn’t draft darnold if we got smith and could resign him long term. Smith is still young for a QB. He’ll be 34. He’s got another 5-6 years. We need talent on the field not on the bench. We don’t have that luxury. Let kizer sit behind him. Maybe he could benefit from a few years behind smith. 

Lol what?

Pass on the best QB in the draft so we can let Kizer develop?

Smith is solid, but let’s not get carried away here.

6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I choose the Rams ot be my playoff team. 

I am now 0-17 on the year. 

i am going to have to pick up a new team this week., I could very well go 0-19 this year. I am excited by this prospect. 

PS. You can be a Browns fan and root fo a different team during the playoffs and it isn't a conflict of interests cos the Browns never go to the playoffs. It is great it is like having two seasons of football. 

And then there is the Superbowl, then the draft. 

being  a Browns fan is great, so much diversity in interest. 

I also picked the Rams. Love their defense and the Goff Gurley combo is nice. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol what?

My goal wouldn’t be to develop kizer. Its to have a good QB on this team for 5-6 years. And if kizer learns anything from smith in that time then good. But I want to draft players who will play now rather than these QBs who I’m not high on anyway sit for a few years. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I usually have favorites per game. I was rooting for KC because I thought they had a better chance to knock off NE/Pitt. I guess I should root for Jax for the same reason but I'll root for Buffalo. N.O./ATL in the NFC, just personal preference.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol what?

Plus, we've all been spoiled by this generation of QBs lasting so long. QBs playing until they're 40 (at a high level) is NOT normal. Now, rule changes might have made it more likely than it used to be, but it's still rare. And we're starting to see some of the current greats physically breaking down well before 40 (ROFLsberger is 35 and thinking about retiring). So, a 34 year old QB is NOT young, he's just still not in huge risk of immediate drop off. Not drafting a franchise QB because of a 34 year old incumbent is crazy unless that incumbent is a top 5 QB like Brady, Brees, etc. And even then it's probably a good choice (Favre/Rodgers).

33 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

My goal wouldn’t be to develop kizer. Its to have a good QB on this team for 5-6 years. And if kizer learns anything from smith in that time then good. But I want to draft players who will play now rather than these QBs who I’m not high on anyway sit for a few years. 

If you’re not high on these guys as prospects then you must be one of those special fans who doesn’t want to draft a an high unless they are Luck, Manning or Elway.

Good luck with that.

Alex Smith is decent, no doubt, but he’s not someone who is so good you don’t draft a guy at 1 when you get the chance. Hell, the Chiefs thought the same thing and moved up to grab his replacement last year.

Expecting a qb to play well until theyre 40 is hopeful at best. 

Even if you had a HOFer or borderline HOFer, you still take the QB. The Colts did it with Luck, the Giants will do it with Eli, the Steelers would do (if in position) with Ben, Saints, Chargers, etc., all take the QB at one regardless of who the QB is if they’re in their mid 30’s. It’s asinine not to.

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

you guys need to stop jinxing other teams fanbases by adopting their teams in the playoffs. It's like those scary movies where you leave the haunted house but the ghost follows you to your new one. 

Welp, I'm 0-2 so far in my playoff predictions. Not exactly surprised LA or KC lost, as LA doesn't have playoff experience and Andy Reid teams tend to choke in the playoffs. I picked Jacksonville and Carolina for today's games, but again I could see both games going either way - especially the CAR/NO game.

And @sdrawkcab321 - I'd be furious if we passed on one of the top QBs just because we landed Smith. He's an above average QB who would be great to have for the immediate future, but he's not a long-term answer. He wasn't exactly a long-term answer for KC, and he's even older now. Yes, all of the QBs this year have flaws and question marks, but I'd still say a few of them have franchise QB potential.

6 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

you guys need to stop jinxing other teams fanbases by adopting their teams in the playoffs. It's like those scary movies where you leave the haunted house but the ghost follows you to your new one. 

Maybe we have met the enemy?

47 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I posted this in another thread, but you're 100% right. When the Browns left Cleveland I started rooting hard for the Buffalo Bills. Their first playoff game the Music City Miracle happened. 20 years later and here we are.

It's GOT to be my fault.

2 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

oh screw them. other fan bases deserve to feel our pain

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

If Gruden can make 100 mil. I wonder how much Belicheck gets paid.

Although Kraft is reportedly being an idiot.

I read somewhere yesterday it’s estimate belicheck makes about $12.5 M a year. 

Link 

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/01/07/bill-belichick-contract-extension-salary-10-million

Archived