Why are fans so against "retread" coaches?

patriotsheatyan

Coaches on their second teams have won 11/16 Super Bowls, and four straight SBs. The other five SB winning teams without a HC on his second team, three of them included mediocre at best coaches (McCarthy, Payton, Tomlin) who won because they inherited or signed HoF QBs. Another one was Cowher in his millionth season. 

Why so much obsession with getting a fictional young innovative coach who will take the league by storm and build a dynasty from next to nothing? The best coaches in the league during our generation have tended to be guys on their second job.

5 of the 11 were Belichick. And another two were Coughlin. And at least 7 of the 11 also had HOF QBs. Probably 8 and possibly 10. And Gruden inherited a super talented team albeit not at QB.

Im just pointing this out and I actually don’t disagree. And if you go another 4 years it’s 14/20. I really didn’t know there was a big aversion to retreads. I think if they’ve had previous success. Like Coughlin taking an expansion team to two conference championship games. Dungy and Gruden who helped make awful Raiders and Bucs teams contenders. And Belichick whose tenure in Cleveland was very underrated. Why not? What is stupid is how guys like Mularkey keep getting jobs 

Depends on the quality of retread, honestly. I was all for signing Reid, for instance, because he was incredibly successful in Philly. And I don't think anyone was really upset about Dungy going to Indy or Coughlin going to New York or Carroll going to Seattle. Because they were all successful in the prior stints. They all had winning records in their first attempts at head coach in the NFL. Kubiak and Belichek are the only two in that list that actually struggled to a degree in their first job. Kubiak predictably did not last long in Denver, he basically just won a superbowl with the roster pre-built for him. Belichek is just a spectacular kind of exception. So it depends on who exactly you're talking about as retreads that people against.

I know one of the bigger concerns is typically that of bad habits. Someone who has done a job for some time can very easily get set in their old ways, and in an evolving league, that gets risky.

Well lets look at two coordinators currently that have been head coaches before.

Jim Schwartz and Josh McDaniels. It really comes down to how they handled their situation, and if they were given a fair knock. If you ask me Josh McDaniels completely flopped. Jim Schwartz's book is still a bit more open though.

1 hour ago, Shady Slim said:

if you say that that trio of coaches is mediocre at best you must think belicheck is good on a good say bc that's ridiculous 

Guy doesnt even bother to give an analysis or break down facts to support the terrible points he is attempting to make.     

3 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Coaches on their second teams have won 11/16 Super Bowls, and four straight SBs. The other five SB winning teams without a HC on his second team, three of them included mediocre at best coaches (McCarthy, Payton, Tomlin) who won because they inherited or signed HoF QBs. Another one was Cowher in his millionth season. 

Why so much obsession with getting a fictional young innovative coach who will take the league by storm and build a dynasty from next to nothing? The best coaches in the league during our generation have tended to be guys on their second job.

Terrible selection data without also mentioning both the median and the bottom coaches when it comes to retreads. If the majority of head coaches in a given season are retreads than statistically of course the majority of Super Bowl winning coaches are going to be retreads. 

3 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Those coaches have done it on teams that usually go to SBs  anyway. Retread coaches just cause retread teams  to continue sucking. The only random  good one of recent  memory was Chucky.

Because most retreads aren’t guys like Belichick or even Reid or Arians. Most are John Fox, Jeff Fisher, Gary Kubiak, Rex Ryan, or Hue Jackson.

Even some successsful DCs/OCs like Jim Schwartz, Mike Smith, Josh McDaniels, and Wade Phillips are better off as coordinators.

Archived