Should The Commish Be Able To Retroactively Change The Rules?

the lone star

What are your thoughts on the commissioner breaking the rules?

For example, let's say it's a dynasty league and Season 1 is played with a way for calculating next year's rookie draft? Is it OK for the commissioner to change the way to calculate the rookie draft after Season 1 has finished?

1 hour ago, the lone star said:

What are your thoughts on the commissioner breaking the rules?

For example, let's say it's a dynasty league and Season 1 is played with a way for calculating next year's rookie draft? Is it OK for the commissioner to change the way to calculate the rookie draft after Season 1 has finished?

No changes should be made after the initial rules have been put in place. I wouldn't like that. 

39 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

No changes should be made after the initial rules have been put in place. I wouldn't like that. 

Agreed. It creates a slippery slope.

Been there and done that in the past. Probably gonna have to leave the league now. Oh well, guess that means I should create my own.

42 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

But I am in a league where we vote on rule changes. We changed the way the draft order is chosen this past year, but I didn't quite like that we did that. If a vote is taken, it should be for the next draft, not the current one. That way the rule doesn't have any retroactive features to it.

I think he shouldn't be able to do it unilaterally. I think that all leagues should be open to evolving - my money league started as a standard league like 10 years ago, and we have since evolved into 2 quarterbacks, an additional flex spot, deeper benches, keeper costs, draft position, etc etc. But it would be something that is brought up and then voted on by the league as a whole. It's a 12 man league, at least 9 have to vote one way for it to go through. There have been some raging debates, as you would expect, but obviously nothing that destroyed the league. 

11 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

Agreed although if EVERYONE agrees to it then I'd be okay with it. 

As commish i asked the teams in the playoffs to change the setup from 2 rounds of 2 weeks to 2 rounds, but 1 week each. I asked the other 3 teams to vote on it and they all agreed so it changed. I will say i sort of wish i didn't because i think my team is the best and odds are in 2 matchups i would score more points than my opponents.

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Agreed although if EVERYONE agrees to it then I'd be okay with it. 

As commish i asked the teams in the playoffs to change the setup from 2 rounds of 2 weeks to 2 rounds, but 1 week each. I asked the other 3 teams to vote on it and they all agreed so it changed. I will say i sort of wish i didn't because i think my team is the best and odds are in 2 matchups i would score more points than my opponents.

Interesting. 

I also think some changes that don't affect any outcomes can be implemented. For instance, I forgot to select fractional scoring for passing, rushing, and receiving yards. Only receiving yards affected outcomes, so I had to keep that the way it was, but I was able to fix the other two.

However, I could have selected receiving as well and then just altered the points for the one game that it did change.

As commish of a newly started dynasty league, I don't think it is okay to change the rules for the upcoming draft. And I have a similar issue in my own dynasty league this year. Everyone in the league, its their first time doing a dynasty format and we have had some issues with tanking in the last few weeks that is giving some fringe playoff teams automatic wins. Unfortunately, the teams that tanked didn't have illegal lineups per our league rules, they just benched their better players for lesser players. Before the season, we set the rules that the draft order for the following season would be determined by finish in the standings. So for next year we are keeping the draft the same because that is what we set at the beginning of the year. We have already had a league vote that for our next draft (2019 draft) we will be altering how the order is chosen. It's a 10 team league with 4 teams making the playoffs. After this draft in 2018, the draft will be an even lottery for the 6 teams that don't make the playoffs and the final 4 teams will be based on season finish. We figured this would be the most fair way to try and prevent teams from tanking to the point we had this year.

While I think all leagues need to evolve and rules need to be voted on in order to pass, changing something like draft order before the next draft makes no sense to me. If they want to change it, change it for the 2019 season. In my redraft league we are going to propose that we add 1 keeper from the 5th round on for the cost of the round+1 the following season. As much as I would love to start this this season (I got Kamara in the 12th in that league lol), we are not going to implement it until 2019 if it passes because it could have changed how teams made roster moves throughout the season.

• 4 months later...
On 12/11/2017 at 1:18 PM, tntitans4life17 said:

As commish of a newly started dynasty league, I don't think it is okay to change the rules for the upcoming draft. And I have a similar issue in my own dynasty league this year. Everyone in the league, its their first time doing a dynasty format and we have had some issues with tanking in the last few weeks that is giving some fringe playoff teams automatic wins. Unfortunately, the teams that tanked didn't have illegal lineups per our league rules, they just benched their better players for lesser players. Before the season, we set the rules that the draft order for the following season would be determined by finish in the standings. So for next year we are keeping the draft the same because that is what we set at the beginning of the year. We have already had a league vote that for our next draft (2019 draft) we will be altering how the order is chosen. It's a 10 team league with 4 teams making the playoffs. After this draft in 2018, the draft will be an even lottery for the 6 teams that don't make the playoffs and the final 4 teams will be based on season finish. We figured this would be the most fair way to try and prevent teams from tanking to the point we had this year.

While I think all leagues need to evolve and rules need to be voted on in order to pass, changing something like draft order before the next draft makes no sense to me. If they want to change it, change it for the 2019 season. In my redraft league we are going to propose that we add 1 keeper from the 5th round on for the cost of the round+1 the following season. As much as I would love to start this this season (I got Kamara in the 12th in that league lol), we are not going to implement it until 2019 if it passes because it could have changed how teams made roster moves throughout the season.

Good Analysis. Thanks!

On 12/9/2017 at 10:21 PM, Forge said:

I think he shouldn't be able to do it unilaterally. I think that all leagues should be open to evolving - my money league started as a standard league like 10 years ago, and we have since evolved into 2 quarterbacks, an additional flex spot, deeper benches, keeper costs, draft position, etc etc. But it would be something that is brought up and then voted on by the league as a whole. It's a 12 man league, at least 9 have to vote one way for it to go through. There have been some raging debates, as you would expect, but obviously nothing that destroyed the league. 

Is this a redraft or a dynasty league?

I'd go with no for this. Now, if there is call for it in the league by the owners of the other teams with the exception of the one who is likely doing the unethical thing, I think that it is fair to look at a retroactive rule change. I'm assuming it would be a situation where the rest of the owners did or didn't do something in good faith and the other owner broken the trust of that. In that case, with majority agreeing to it, and probably 2/3's majority I'd say it would be acceptable to make the change retroactively.

I would say the other situation where I'd consider that to be acceptable would be if there seems to be some sort of collusion in the league. If the good buddy of one person tanks a game so that one of them can win the money or win more money or make it into the playoffs in a money league. I think that's grounds to adjust rules and hand out punishment even if the rules aren't explicitly set-up to prevent that. In that case I'd then strongly start looking for owners to replace them as well.

Archived