Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

2/3 of the fan base will riot if Browning is the QB next year.  The rest will be excited that the one that got away returns

And then all of them would riot after they watched him play for more than a couple of games. 

• Like 1

What I can say is that over the past few days, I've been moving more towards the "just move on from Cousins" side of the tracks, but again, that would depend upon who they anticipate taking in the draft.  If they move up to get a Daniels or Maye, then yes, just cut ties with Cousins altogether and start them Day 1.  If they anticipate waiting and taking a McCarthy/Penix/Nix type of player, then either sign Kirk or a veteran. 

I think, despite all of the success that the Lions/Packers have had and looks like the Bears can have, this team can still compete with them in the division should Kirk return...but, it's just a question of whether they want to in '24, or whether they try to continue to set themselves up for '25 and beyond.  That's the most important question. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

2/3 of the fan base will riot if Browning is the QB next year.  The rest will be excited that the one that got away returns

I'm okay with Browning if we can't keep Kirk, but I want nothing to do with Zach Wilson.

38 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm okay with Browning if we can't keep Kirk, but I want nothing to do with Zach Wilson.

I really don't want either as a starter.  Of the two, I would take Browning as a backup if Cousins is signed.  

As far as rookies, I think Williams, Maye and Daniels will be gone in the top 5.  I don't see the Vikings moving up into the top 5 to get one of them.  If they stay at 11, McCarthy, Penix and Nix will more likely than not be available.  Which is less of a reach at 11?  Whoever that is, they shouldn't start in 2024.  Vikings can sign FA Minshew, or send a low draft pick to Washington for Brissett or a low draft pick to Carolina for Dalton.  Brissett will likely be available if Washington drafts Maye.  If I were Carolina, I would be hanging onto Dalton and wouldn't let him go for less than a 3rd or 4th round pick.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 8:28 AM, marshpit23 said:

Yeah, but he (Mullens), starting 17 games, might also break the most total yards (Vikings) in a season.

🤣 🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣 

Edited by Robb_K

I was thinking about our 2 game Superman recently. 

I doubt Dobbs is given a contract extension with us, but I wonder if after the draft if he'll sign on with a team who has an athletic QB. The idea is that Dobbs should be able to run the same type of offense as the starter does (similar to what Baltimore does with Jackson/Huntley or Philly with Hurts/Mariota).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What if Cousins came back after those 2 games? Or they Mullens was ready and they went with him because he was the original backup? How much different would the perception of Dobbs be?

He’d be making some money this offseason. And we’d have to endure endless discussions about how the Vikings should re-sign him and make him the starter long term. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He’d be making some money this offseason. And we’d have to endure endless discussions about how the Vikings should re-sign him and make him the starter long term. 

You're probably right. But I will always appreciate what he did in those two games.  He has a lot of gifts...unfortunately,  having an NFL caliber arm isn't one of them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Sorting through what the Vikings will do at quarterback this offseason isn't straightforward. Veteran starter Kirk Cousins is scheduled for unrestricted free agency. The Vikings have seemingly been preparing to replace Cousins after allowing him to play out the final year of his contract in 2023. A season-ending injury further complicated matters, but Cousins will be greeted with interest if his services reach the open market.

Jaren Hall isn't the long-term answer in Minnesota. Will the Vikings re-sign Cousins or reach for a quarterback like J.J. McCarthy or Bo Nix with the No. 11 overall selection? Trading for a quarterback like Fields, who still has untapped potential, offers general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah an alternative route.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2024/02/06/justin-fields-trade-options

For obvious reasons, it'll never happen, but someone went there nonetheless.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

What is going on?

Cousins, draft, Vet trade?

Someone make an opinion.  

Some of us say all of the above.  🤣

Ideally, I would say that they resign Cousins and draft a guy at 11, but others feel that if you're going to draft a guy at 11, then you shouldn't bring back Cousins because then you'd have an asset not contributing anything for a year or 2.  Another option is to let Cousins go, draft a guy and sign a vet in Free Agency for the short-term (like a Tannehill).  Not a huge fan of that, but it'd work.  The only way I'd be okay starting the rookie Day 1 is if it's one of the top 3. 

• Like 1