Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

14 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

After seeing what Dobbs can do in this offense, Jayden Daniels really piques my interest. 

yes, i can see why... and he's played/started in 51 games in his college career, which included the Covid shortened 2020 season where he only started in four.

his most recent game:

On November 11, 2023, Daniels passed for 372 yards and three touchdowns and ran for 234 yards and two touchdowns in a 52–35 win over the Florida Gators. He became the first player in FBS history to record at least 350 passing yards and 200 rushing yards in the same game.

wiki

• Like 3

I will say, watching Dobbs really makes me wonder what the Vikings would have had if Spielman had traded up with Carolina and drafted Justin Fields. 

If nothing else changes, and Fields had been able to sit behind Cousins for a year, been given Jefferson, Thielen, Addison, Osborn, Cook, Hockenson, etc as his weapons, and eventually had O’Connell as his coach, what kind of QB is he? 

I’ll always have a soft spot for Fields, as he was one of my favorite QB prospects in recent years, and it’s such a shame he went to Chicago. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I will say, watching Dobbs really makes me wonder what the Vikings would have had if Spielman had traded up with Carolina and drafted Justin Fields. 

If nothing else changes, and Fields had been able to sit behind Cousins for a year, been given Jefferson, Thielen, Addison, Osborn, Cook, Hockenson, etc as his weapons, and eventually had O’Connell as his coach, what kind of QB is he? 

I’ll always have a soft spot for Fields, as he was one of my favorite QB prospects in recent years, and it’s such a shame he went to Chicago. 

Well, he can be part of a reclamation project since he likely won't be in Chicago next year.  I have to think they'll try to find a way to trade him for a mid-round pick, since it's almost guaranteed that they won't pick up his 5th yr option.  Obviously, they wouldn't trade him here, but he'll certainly have a better opportunity elsewhere. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think Jayden Daniel's pro comparison should be Josh Dobbs.

I don't think Dobbs has accomplished enough yet to warrant being a pro comparison for anyone...but this site did list the Vikings as the #2 destination for Daniels.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-football/top-5-potential-landing-spots-jayden-daniels-2024-nfl-draft

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Who would you start going foward? 

Dobbs? Hall? Mullen?

I don't really care.  If forced at gun-point, I'd probably start Hall, but in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter to me. 

Do you still think Josh Dobbs and Jayden Daniels are similar?  😉

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Mullens should have been put in at the start of the 2nd half last night, because Dobbs was not only being used wrongly, but, he, himself had been spooked by The Bears' defensive strategy, and also, he was having trouble handling the assignment of reading the whole field, and making decisions quickly enough.  Personally, I'd rather have The Vikings start Hall against The Raiders to see what he can do.  He played with poise and confidence on his 2 drives in his one start.  And having 2 full weeks for KOC and the QB coach to work with him before that game, will be the best chance to prepare him.  But, The Vikings want to win every game possible to get into The Playoffs (despite the fact that even winning the 1st game in The Playoffs is an extreme longshot.  So, unfortunately, it's likely they'll go with Mullens.  I think it would be better to see Hall play at least 3-4 games to be able to make better choices about which QBs they'll keep around for next season to compete for the back-up job and, possibly, the Team's 2024 partial or full-season transition(placeholder) QB.

• Like 1

Too early to pick a guy just to see what you have in him IMO.  Start the guy you think gives you the best chance of winning right now.  To me, talk of starting young guys to see what you have belongs in the tank thread. The thought of Mullens being the guy that gives the Vikings the best chance to win the next game is a realistic possibility.

No matter who the team starts, I can't judge them as I don't have a feeling for which QB would give a better chance of winning right now.  Whoever they pick, I just don't want them doing it to get a look at youth.  Start youth if they have climbed to the top of the depth chart. Otherwise, start whoever is at the top of the depth chart.

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Too early to pick a guy just to see what you have in him IMO.  Start the guy you think gives you the best chance of winning right now.  To me, talk of starting young guys to see what you have belongs in the tank thread. The thought of Mullens being the guy that gives the Vikings the best chance to win the next game is a realistic possibility.

No matter who the team starts, I can't judge them as I don't have a feeling for which QB would give a better chance of winning right now.  Whoever they pick, I just don't want them doing it to get a look at youth.  Start youth if they have climbed to the top of the depth chart. Otherwise, start whoever is at the top of the depth chart.

I don’t know, the unknown upside is something worth considering. It’s one thing if we’re just bridging a couple games until Cousins gets back, but we’re talking the rest of the season. I don’t see Mullens or Dobbs offering much hope for a playoff run.

• Like 2

Mullens gives us the best shot at the playoffs, Hall gives us the best shot at the SB and that's strictly because he is an unknown and there's always the chance, he becomes the next Tom Brady lol. And personally? I don't a crap about the playoffs without the shot for a SB. I think especially since Hall looked decent in the short time he played, let's just see him out. Let's make the offseason a little more clear.

• Like 1