Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Are the Chargers incompetent enough to trade away Herbert?

I wouldn't think so.  It's not his fault that their defense is terrible despite having a defensive head coach.  They are still a top-10 offense. 

Plus, they can't...his dead money is $129M next year. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

I don't see Fields, Wilson or Jones ever panning out. Not as high level options, at least. Fields can start on 10 teams in the league. But those still won't be good teams, and he won't be leading them anywhere near a Super Bowl. 

Wilson is broken like Darnold and Sanchez before him. The Jets are where first round QBs go to die.

Mac Jones was never worth a first round pick. I understand why the Patriots took a flyer on him where they did, but his ceiling seems to be Brandon Weeden. Bounce around the league for a few years as a backup, then go sell real estate or insurance. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You guys needs to re-sign Cousins for 2-3 years. Trade for Zach Wilson so he can learn behind Cousins for 2 years. Jets would probably take a ham sandwich for Wilson. He has all the talent in the world, but he never got the chance to sit and learn. 

If Wilson were traded he'd only be under contract for the 2024 season at 5.5 million (as I understand his contract at overthecap- 5.5 to new team; dead signing bonus to Jets). I don't know if anyone knows of connections between the Viking's current regime and Zach Wilson during the scouting process, but trading for him on a contract that has him hitting free agency before the 2 years of learning is up (and with no time to see if sitting did any good) doesn't really work (IMO).

Not sure if there are any reclamation projects that are worthwhile, but I do agree they the Vikings need/should/perhaps already should have identified a QB in this draft and let him sit behind Cousins for a year or two. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

You guys needs to re-sign Cousins for 2-3 years. Trade for Zach Wilson so he can learn behind Cousins for 2 years. Jets would probably take a ham sandwich for Wilson. He has all the talent in the world, but he never got the chance to sit and learn. 

I have zero interest in Zach Wilson.  There's no talent there to reclaim.  He's basically Ryan Leaf (if you factor in the inflation of QB stats across the board since Leaf was in the league) without the criminal record. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

If Wilson were traded he'd only be under contract for the 2024 season at 5.5 million (as I understand his contract at overthecap- 5.5 to new team; dead signing bonus to Jets). I don't know if anyone knows of connections between the Viking's current regime and Zach Wilson during the scouting process, but trading for him on a contract that has him hitting free agency before the 2 years of learning is up (and with no time to see if sitting did any good) doesn't really work (IMO).

Not sure if there are any reclamation projects that are worthwhile, but I do agree they the Vikings need/should/perhaps already should have identified a QB in this draft and let him sit behind Cousins for a year or two. 

you really should post more often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

While I was all for the Vikings trading up to get him after we heard about Spiels' attempts, I'm generally wary of picking them up a few years later after they may have been ruined by the one that did draft him.  It's just a question of whether they are too far gone to be reborn.  It's not all that often that they are able to flourish somewhere else.   

I fhink Fields is redeemable.  I also believe his ceiling is Steve Young.  Mac Jones, Zach Wilson have been ruined by starting WAAAY to early in dysfunctional offenses with a lack of surrounding talent.  While the same can be said for Fields in Chicago, he has managed to maintain talent in spite of worst offensive schemes developed by Coordinators not named Judge and Patricia. 

Like I said earlier, I would want him backing up Cousins next season and optimally the season after. He needs a good deprograming.  O'Connell and Cousins could do him wonders.

KAM needs to take the QB position seriously in the next offseason & in his tenure as the Vikings GM. My dream scenario starts with re-signing cousins to a 1 year (hopefully team friendly) deal and then drafting a QB in the first round.

We can't have quarterbacks of Dobbs/Mullins caliber leading the team at any point.

Cousins, 1st round rookie, Hall should be our QB room next year

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, viking said:

KAM needs to take the QB position seriously in the next offseason & in his tenure as the Vikings GM. My dream scenario starts with re-signing cousins to a 1 year (hopefully team friendly) deal and then drafting a QB in the first round.

We can't have quarterbacks of Dobbs/Mullins caliber leading the team at any point.

Cousins, 1st round rookie, Hall should be our QB room next year

while i agree with your sentiments here, i can't see Cousins accepting a one year deal, based on his career negotiations so far.

a discounted salary, maybe. but a multi year contract, definitely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

while i agree with your sentiments here, i can't see Cousins accepting a one year deal, based on his career negotiations so far.

a discounted salary, maybe. but a multi year contract, definitely.

And with the expectation that the Vikings will be drafting a QB high

• Like 1

Has to be Mullens or Hall moving forward; timing and understanding of the offense just aren't there with Dobbs and defenses have been able to adjust to his off-script movement.

He's also done the OL no favors with his dropback depth.  I could be wrong, but Mullens wasn't sacked once behind an offensive line down two starters on the right side.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Jaren Hall was his backup at BYU and I'd take him and his 10 career passes over Zach Wilson.

• Like 2