QB's 1,2,3,4.

Kiwibrown

On 12/11/2017 at 1:23 AM, Iamcanadian said:

IMO, 3 of the top 5 picks are very likely to be QB's, but Mayfield might have to wait a while in round 1 to hear his name called, especially if he disappoints when they measure his height at the Combine, if he comes in under 6'???

I think the hand size and speed hurt him more. Those are 2 huge for a guy like him. Wilson had both. 

5 hours ago, ianlewis16 said:

In what possible world?

The current one. How many teams don't have a QB? A handful, sure, but you have a QB deep draft, Cousins,the 3 Minnesota guys, Alex Smith, Tyrod and AJ Mccarron available as vets at the least. I didn't even mention Mr.Kaepernick, but if you want to throw him in too, go for it. 

So you have needs where? Jax,Cle,Denver, Buffalo,Jets and Arizona?

So I'm thinking Cleveland and Buffalo come out of the draft with Darnold and Rosen. Denver adds probably Bradford or Taylor  and adds a lesser rookie like maybe Baker Mayfield in the 2nd. Jacksonville probably wants a veteran, so they maybe go with an Alex Smith, Cousins re-signs. I think Minnesota takes Keenum and Teddy both into next year. Miami will have Tannehill back. Arizona would make a lot of sense for Josh Allen, and they could sign the vet that Denver doesn't sign.Lamar,Kap,Mccarron and Bortles would be the Jets options in that scenario. 

Just an example scenario, but point being, its not hard to see each team having their starting QB spot filled with someone they are comfortable with and/or invested. So this is why I say QB is a bit of a descending asset. If you were to put a Winston or Carr on the market, I'm not sure you'd get the huge return that you'd have expected in past years, as teams have plenty of other options that cost less and potentially produce similar. 

Now maybe because these guys all have some question marks, you still get your 3 firsts or whatever, but will you next year? The year after that? There are only 32 slots open. You don't benefit from QB by comittee. 

On 12/13/2017 at 5:22 PM, Nastradamus said:

The current one. How many teams don't have a QB? A handful, sure, but you have a QB deep draft, Cousins,the 3 Minnesota guys, Alex Smith, Tyrod and AJ Mccarron available as vets at the least. I didn't even mention Mr.Kaepernick, but if you want to throw him in too, go for it. 

So you have needs where? Jax,Cle,Denver, Buffalo,Jets and Arizona?

So I'm thinking Cleveland and Buffalo come out of the draft with Darnold and Rosen. Denver adds probably Bradford or Taylor  and adds a lesser rookie like maybe Baker Mayfield in the 2nd. Jacksonville probably wants a veteran, so they maybe go with an Alex Smith, Cousins re-signs. I think Minnesota takes Keenum and Teddy both into next year. Miami will have Tannehill back. Arizona would make a lot of sense for Josh Allen, and they could sign the vet that Denver doesn't sign.Lamar,Kap,Mccarron and Bortles would be the Jets options in that scenario. 

Just an example scenario, but point being, its not hard to see each team having their starting QB spot filled with someone they are comfortable with and/or invested. So this is why I say QB is a bit of a descending asset. If you were to put a Winston or Carr on the market, I'm not sure you'd get the huge return that you'd have expected in past years, as teams have plenty of other options that cost less and potentially produce similar. 

Now maybe because these guys all have some question marks, you still get your 3 firsts or whatever, but will you next year? The year after that? There are only 32 slots open. You don't benefit from QB by comittee. 

Stop it! Carr and Winston are not being pushed out because teams salivating at the prospect of signing Colin Kapernick or Tannehill.

Also you make sound like it's assured these incoming QBs(Darnold,Rosen,Jackson) are gonna light the league on fire. Teams at the top may feel confident but they still have to prove themselves worthy of a 2nd contract.

On 12/10/2017 at 4:41 PM, CWood21 said:

No.

I thought I expanded on this, but I guess I didn't.  Going back to 2000, the NFL has seen 3 QBs drafted in the top 10 only twice: 2011 and 2012.  And in those two drafts, only two went inside the top 10.  There just isn't that much of a chance of that happening.  Right now, we're probably going to see two go in the top 5 (Rosen and Darnold), one more go in the top 10 (Jackson/Allen), and another one go late in the 1st round (Allen/Mayfield).  And that's probably in the most optimistic sense.

On 12/17/2017 at 4:55 PM, candyman93 said:

This won’t happen if Houston loses out and Cleveland picks at 1 and 3. I don’t see them passing on a guy like Barkley at 3 for a trade down unless it’s monsterous.

A Darnold/Barkley or Rosen/Barkley duo picks would make Browns scary good. Especially if their OL holds up better next season. I don't think John Dorsey can make a bad decision here.

Archived