Week 12 GDT : Green Bay Packers (4-6) @ Detroit Lions (8-2)

Leader

The way I remember it was Rhyan was also still garbage in the preseason.  So much so that Newman got PT before he did this season.  It is great that he is looking better.  But let's not act like this was some obvious solution all along, or that Runyan was not more than fine before this season too.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The way I remember it was Rhyan was also still garbage in the preseason.  So much so that Newman got PT before he did this season.  It is great that he is looking better.  But let's not act like this was some obvious solution all along, or that Runyan was not more than fine before this season too.  

You remember it correctly.  Rhyan looking competent has kind of come out of nowhere.  Steno still seems reluctant to give him snaps.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

QB school week 12.  Lots to like.  Still some things to clean up.  Towards the end, JT metions the growth and evidence of that while still leaving some plays on the field.  

Compliments MLF on some playcalls.

These are my most looked for videos of the week.  It's all about mechanics with Love.  When he's on time and on rhythm he's pretty accurate .. when he's not it can be an adventure.  JT says there's a lot of moving parts with Love .. extra hops, etc.  If he cleans that up we've got ourselves a fairly accurate gunslinger who will win a lot of games in GB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

These are my most looked for videos of the week.  It's all about mechanics with Love.  When he's on time and on rhythm he's pretty accurate .. when he's not it can be an adventure.  JT says there's a lot of moving parts with Love .. extra hops, etc.  If he cleans that up we've got ourselves a fairly accurate gunslinger who will win a lot of games in GB. 

I don't think that is unusual for a young quarterback getting their first games. You can see he's getting more comfortable. I do agree cleaning up some of those mechanics this off season will go a long way towards him taking his game to the next level. 

When that happens, with the young talented skilled position guys, look out rest of the NFL. 

If he isn't already, he'll be the best QB in the NFC North be the end of the year. 

Rewatched the All-22.  Tried to pay attention to Runyan/Rhyan on offense and on the safeties on defense. 

Really didn’t see much difference in Runyan/Rhyan. It’s amazing how often they have nothing to do but have to look for work. Rhyan seems much more willing when doing so, but it really is hard to say. Runyan had one terrible pass set (Hutchinson beat him) and one terrible run set. Otherwise, he was just non-descript.  Nothing terrible from Rhyan but he only had the 2 series.  

Watching the safeties was pretty interesting to me because I rarely do so.  Owens is just a millisecond slow in recognition and its that millisecond that kills him sometimes. But, as was obvious from watching live, he was definitely a willing tackler this game. Johnson is a terrible tackler.  3 whiffs and 1 success in getting runners down in open field. I have no idea how he is in coverage because he is so often just running away from the LoS at the snap (by design, I assume).  Couple of times he ended up one on one he seems like he did OK. Ultimately, need to get him off the field ASAP. Maybe he’ll grow but, for now, having a safety who cannot tackle seems like a recipe for disaster. 

Edited by mikebpackfan

14 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

You remember it correctly.  Rhyan looking competent has kind of come out of nowhere.  Steno still seems reluctant to give him snaps.

Steno and/or MLF definitely are inclined to go with veterans on offensive line. But to me, the fact that Rhyan is getting snaps seems to indicate they at least know Runyan won't be here next year. They want to have an idea of what they have in Rhyan going into the offseason. 

On 11/26/2023 at 2:05 AM, mikebpackfan said:

Rewatched the All-22.  Tried to pay attention to Runyan/Rhyan on offense and on the safeties on defense. 

Really didn’t see much difference in Runyan/Rhyan. It’s amazing how often they have nothing to do but have to look for work. Rhyan seems much more willing when doing so, but it really is hard to say. Runyan had one terrible pass set (Hutchinson beat him) and one terrible run set. Otherwise, he was just non-descript.  Nothing terrible from Rhyan but he only had the 2 series.  

Watching the safeties was pretty interesting to me because I rarely do so.  Owens is just a millisecond slow in recognition and its that millisecond that kills him sometimes. But, as was obvious from watching live, he was definitely a willing tackler this game. Johnson is a terrible tackler.  3 whiffs and 1 success in getting runners down in open field. I have no idea how he is in coverage because he is so often just running away from the LoS at the snap (by design, I assume).  Couple of times he ended up one on one he seems like he did OK. Ultimately, need to get him off the field ASAP. Maybe he’ll grow but, for now, having a safety who cannot tackle seems like a recipe for disaster. 

thanks for your take, agree it's hard to just concentrate on safety play, because it is such a read and react position, they often look slow with that second part, do to confusion with the first part, specially young guys.

one benefit to all this is obviously developing backup talent, fat chance either of Owens or Johnson start for us next year, but playing now gives the coaches a heads up on whether or what to invest in the position, Savage was playing back to his earlier production of several years back, that little talking to he got out back of the woodshed last year seemed to have helped lol.

the one thing I notice with Rhyan is his anchor, the little I've seen of him has been solid anchor, don't remember ever seeing a DL pushing him backwards, while Runyan and Myers at times look like there on ice skates

45 minutes ago, turf toe said:

thanks for your take, agree it's hard to just concentrate on safety play, because it is such a read and react position, they often look slow with that second part, do to confusion with the first part, specially young guys.

one benefit to all this is obviously developing backup talent, fat chance either of Owens or Johnson start for us next year, but playing now gives the coaches a heads up on whether or what to invest in the position, Savage was playing back to his earlier production of several years back, that little talking to he got out back of the woodshed last year seemed to have helped lol.

the one thing I notice with Rhyan is his anchor, the little I've seen of him has been solid anchor, don't remember ever seeing a DL pushing him backwards, while Runyan and Myers at times look like there on ice skates

I watched Rhyan.  He got pushed back as much as you would expect a guard to be pushed back.  He gets pushed around more when he stands up high and stops moving his feet.  But yeah, he got pushed enough on his reps, as most guards do.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I watched Rhyan.  He got pushed back as much as you would expect a guard to be pushed back.  He gets pushed around more when he stands up high and stops moving his feet.  But yeah, he got pushed enough on his reps, as most guards do.

At least he hasn't whiffed on any blocks that I've seen.  We have a couple of guys that seem to do that more than we'd like.

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

At least he hasn't whiffed on any blocks that I've seen.  We have a couple of guys that seem to do that more than we'd like.

No, he has not.  We have a few who have done that enough.  But guards get walked back in the passing game.  It's a pass set.  What I like about Rhyan is that he recovers and anchors well.  When he has to move to run block, those feet take him where he needs to go pretty quickly and he does a really nice job of staying on blocks, as those feet can move quickly.

But, where I've seen him get into trouble is when he stands up and those feet just stop.  And that would be true about most any lineman out there.

Gotta say I disagree on that safety evaluation.

AJj does a good job covering 3/4s of backend when he's single high. Not the special athlete to be a total sideline to sideline guy. With reps I feel like he could close down more of the shots though. I think he does a solid job of playing to help with tackles. When he needed to get a guy down he got his guy down, when he was in a gang he took more big shots. Guy brings a big stick with him too. Jumped a few routes even though the ball didn't go there it was still real solid to see. I see legit starter potential here. Maybe Burnett kind of upside. 

Owens had a real solid game, for him. He seems to really understand the defense, one play he took the speed motion out into the flat but Quay didnt bump back into the MoF TE, luckily Goff missed it. There was another example or two that stuck out to me but its been a few days now since I watched it back. As a traditional safety you still see him run himself out of coverage, opening guys up. Not feeling guys coming into his zone. If you want to deploy him as the S/ILB and platoon him with Duff that's totally cool with me, but keep him close to the LoS.

In regards to Rhyan, his guy wound up on the ground twice. Something our line hasn't done near enough of this year. I don't recall too many games going his direction so tough to know if he handles those. I think it's time to give him a full game or two to know whether it's worth offering Runyan any offer this offseason or just collect whatever comp comes. 

• Like 1