Tanking

Big T

6 hours ago, drew39k said:

With the bears win, the pats just moved into the third slot in the draft. The Panthers pick at 1(bears get it) then the cardinals and pats are both at two wins.then there are 7 teams sitting at four wins.

I'm going to lose my mind if we lose the rest of our games until week 18 and then beat the pats to gift them a top 2 pick in a QB draft. I can see them stealing a win somewhere and the game becoming "loser gets 2nd overall pick" and us deciding to put Rodgers out there to break the streak.

We can't get ahead of Cardinals. And perhaps Patriots, lol.   I am perfectly fine with ending up at 2nd spot for two reasons.  Olu Fashanu and trade down for richer return.  Not sure about Bears' OL situation but I do hope they take Harrison Jr there if no trade.

55 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

But just not rush to sign him.

Becton is done, the guy is "always" on the cusp of an injury, even the year first year he was healthy he missed games, followed by 2 years in a row of missing the entire season, now this year he has missed 1 game so far and has played like a statue, his knee is shot and he is on the lower run of OT's in football statistically. 

I doubt Becton gets any kind of deal unless it has a clause in it regarding his health and an out for the team signing him.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

I doubt Becton gets any kind of deal unless it has a clause in it regarding his health and an out for the team signing him.

If Becton hits FA, he will be signed by a team.  FRP OT's always get another shot.  The question is will he take a prove it deal from the Jets or any other team?  My gut believes he will want to move on from the Jets and sign somewhere else unless the Jets massively overpay.  I can't see JD overpaying for Becton.  Right now we have AVT, Tippmann and Tomlinson as our starters for next year followed by scrubs and unknowns.

On 11/27/2023 at 3:33 AM, WheatieMan said:

I think, honestly, the Jets have to trade the ‘25 1st and 2nd picks to pick up Devonte and/or ‘24 draft capital. That’s the only thing that makes sense. Let’s say you trade your 1st 2nd next year to pick up 2nd and an extra third. Then you can take the QB Rd1 depending on who drops, or trade up. Then hope Tippman and Warren can be starters next year. Becton probably has to be moved or be a backup. Maybe get a tackle/guard in FA. But receiver G OT QB have to be addressed.

If they skip the QB this year and just sign a backup, you are certainly tanking in ‘25 anyway because ‘24 is all-in.

So, basically keep doing what we have been doing.  HOPE the OL will play OK.  Hope the FA OT will play well.   Its gotta work at some point, right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xrade said:

So, basically keep doing what we have been doing.  HOPE the OL will play OK.  Hope the FA OT will play well.   Its gotta work at some point, right?

You either move ‘25 assets to ‘24 to draft a TE/WR or trade for a Rogers WR, or draft OL. Trading back in the 1st round is also an option, but that requires luck (like someone dropping). Pats got lucky last year when they were able to trade back and prevent the NYJ from taking OL (or more so JD shooting himself in the foot).

There is no reason not to give up a 1st in ‘25 for Devonte. The point value would be a 2nd rounder in ‘24. You have to keep the QB happy. There is no point drafting a QB unless he literally falls into your lap. Pats Bears Cardinals all need QB. Jets aren’t getting a franchise QB unless they are trading ‘25 assets to move up.

If I am JD, I take the top tackle and then move into the 2nd round if another OL falls by trading ‘25 picks. Or I use those picks for Devonte (along with picks 3-6 this year).

Edited by WheatieMan

Safe to say Tippman wont be leaving his center spot any time soon. 

So we have him and Vera Tucker. Beyond that we have nothing. Carter Warren I feel has played better than Becton. But he is not the answer at LT and theres not much in FA nor do we have capital to trade for anyone or to trade up. 

We literally go into 2024 with no starting LT or RT and a garbage LG. Im trying to decide if thats better than what we did for 2023 since we wont be trying to "make anyone work"

We have to get an OT early. Here's why:

1) OT has the lowest bust rate of any position taken in the first round and this class has two potential blue chippers in Fashanu and Alt. Your chances of landing an actual upgrade are going to come by committing premier draft equity because games are won and lost in the trenches. OT's also always get overdrafted because of the league wide need and the quality of talent dwindles quicker than a lot of positions from round to round.

2) With that said, teams don't typically like to let good homegrown OT's get away in free agency, which is why the options for 2024 free agency are horrible. Us letting Becton get away is giving other suitors an option in a weak free agent OT class.

3) Furthermore, we need not one but TWO tackles this offseason. I can't get on board with committing long term money to Becton. Someone like Jonah Williams would be a win for us as a replacement (won't even say upgrade) considering the options, but he's not even that good and we won't be alone in needing OT help. We don't have the cap space to overpay for a mediocre player just to fill a need anyway.

4) To make matters worse, we don't have a second round pick. Our best o-line upgrade can't be a 3rd round rookie.

As bad as I want a QB of the future or stud WR early, this is the responsible course of action.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

You either move ‘25 assets to ‘24 to draft a TE/WR

This is what I want to do if Odunze or Coleman start sliding.

Or we could take a WR early and do the same for an OT, but I don't think we'll have good options in the late first. Otherwise, I'm good with taking multiple WR's in round 3 and 4. This WR class is awesome, elite talent at the top and strong depth throughout. Get one flanker and one slot receiver 

Lazard is not a long term option and Gipson is not someone we should be wanting to count on. We need multiple WRs in addition to multiple OTs but I think it will be easier to find WRs with our later picks.

I don't think the Raiders have any plans on trading Davante and he's gonna cost us anyway. 

19 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

If I am JD, I take the top tackle and then move into the 2nd round if another OL falls by trading ‘25 picks. Or I use those picks for Devonte (along with picks 3-6 this year).

Now you're talkin'!  We need another quality WR (or two) very badly but not at the expense of fixing the OL.  Quality WR will be available in FA no need to spend ANY draft picks for one.

19 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

You have to keep the QB happy.

I don't give a rats *** about making AR happy.  The $ he is getting should make him happy.  How about this; before trading top draft picks to make AR happy, how about he makes us fans happy first?  The Jets made him happy this year by getting three totally useless asshats.  **** AR if he is not happy about getting Devonte.  OK, mini rant over.  AR should be more happy about getting the OL fixed so he can maybe play more than 4 snaps next year.  We have Wilson and will most likely get a good FA WR.  Couple that with adequate TE and RB play and that may, arguably, more than he ever had in GB.

19 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

We should just tell JD to only pick the good OL that don't get injured.

This is sports man, it's all a gamble.

What's your point?  I merely replied to a post that mentions "hoping" the OL plays well and any FA OL we gets play well.  Since it has not yet happened in a long time (except for Moses) going that route is just more of the same.  I did not mention anything about injuries.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

What's your point?  I merely replied to a post that mentions "hoping" the OL plays well and any FA OL we gets play well.  Since it has not yet happened in a long time (except for Moses) going that route is just more of the same.  I did not mention anything about injuries.

Our OL play is directly correlated to the number of injuries our OL experience. It's not like Becton and AVT are bad OL - they are just oft hurt, which is just as bad, but it's not something you can plan for when drafting.

I think they want AR to break the streak against the Pats, meaning Pats will draft ahead of them. You could do Miami (week 15) home Commanders (week16) off TNF (week 17 @Browns short rest). Week 18 @NE. But it depends on who is out there on the O-line. You could also have something flukey happen like the Jets winning two in a row with Boyle and the Browns/Steelers losing two in a row, which opens a clear path for Rogers.