2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

On 2/11/2024 at 8:22 AM, adamq said:

Would it be crazy to put Nabers over MHJ

Kinda, yeah.

I really don't think i see the hype with Nabers.  He's good, he's got the potential to be a real good Pro.  But he also reminds me lot bit too much of Calvin Ridley for my tastes.  They look like very similar prospects to me.  Great at using speed to run around and past collegiate DBs and rack up yardage when they end up with huge separation, busted or soft coverage, or schemed protected releases.  But i can't help but wonder if Nabers will be like Ridley as a Pro, where teams get all up in his face and disrupt him, will it throw him off as much?  He just seems like Ridley...butter soft.

He doesn't really seem to catch well in traffic, tight coverage seems to spook him, not big on out battling guys for contested catches.  He avoids contact with and without the ball in his hands and isn't going to give you much of anything in terms of YAC other than when he has miles of wide open empty turf to eat up, always looking to just get down or out of bounds or caught up by arm tackles.

I think the Bama game is the one that really just sealed it for me.  Statistically, a sparkly statline against the closest you're gonna face to "NFL caliber secondary".  But actually watching it, feels pretty hollow to me.  Doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence that he's got that "fight" in him.  Just not my kind of receiver.

I just don't see a True #1WR skillset there.  To face press and physicality and double coverage top attention from a good NFL secondary and win reliably.  He's more like one of those "big stats #2WR" types to me.  Who thrive in an environment where there's a bigger, more physical, more prevalent chain-moving, contested catch threat to worry about and draw attention away.  Probably have at least a few thousand yard+ seasons as a Pro in the right situations.  He'll potentially be a "fantasy football" stud.  But just don't see the sort of receiver that i tend to value really highly, at the very top of the draft.

Heck, i'd take Odunze over him very comfortably.  Probably others by the time i really settle things out by draft day.

But YMMV.  A lot of people seem to absolutely love him.  A lot of people adored Ridley too though (or even still do for some reason)...

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 10:03 AM, Chiefer said:

Any thoughts on Javon Baker? I’ve heard his name pop up as an underrated gem, haven’t turned on the tape yet. 

Fan, there is a lot of meat on that bone. He is a high upside deep threat who is really good at tracking the ball. I think he could be a tremendous value for a team who needs someone who can stretch the field and be a legit threat deep.

• Like 1

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

Fan, there is a lot of meat on that bone. He is a high upside deep threat who is really good at tracking the ball. I think he could be a tremendous value for a team who needs someone who can stretch the field and be a legit threat deep.

That’s exactly what the Chiefs need, does he have hands?? 

22 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Heck, i'd take Odunze over him very comfortably.  Probably others by the time i really settle things out by draft day.

But YMMV.  A lot of people seem to absolutely love him.  A lot of people adored Ridley too though (or even still do for some reason)...

I don't mind Nabers as a top 10 pick but I felt like I was missing something with everyone taking him over Odunze and putting him closer to MHJ. Might just be draft history biasing my take as I've seen the Odunze types succeed much more frequently/consistently than the explosive Nabers types. I'm on team Odunze unless others make a compelling case during the draft process (which I am glad to listen to).

• Like 1

I'm team Nabers as far as the versus Odunze debate goes. I like both a lot, but Malik gives you more after the catch and has more versatility around where you can line him up. He's a little undersized, but shows up in every facet as a contested catch-maker, can win over the middle, is a polished route runner with elite change of direction and as an elite athlete who can blow the top off a defense. I really don't know what there isn't to love about him as a prospect in this class. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Kinda, yeah.

I really don't think i see the hype with Nabers.  He's good, he's got the potential to be a real good Pro.  But he also reminds me lot bit too much of Calvin Ridley for my tastes.  They look like very similar prospects to me.  Great at using speed to run around and past collegiate DBs and rack up yardage when they end up with huge separation, busted or soft coverage, or schemed protected releases.  But i can't help but wonder if Nabers will be like Ridley as a Pro, where teams get all up in his face and disrupt him, will it throw him off as much?  He just seems like Ridley...butter soft.

He literally has the second best contested catch rate in this class...

On 2/12/2024 at 12:31 PM, Tugboat said:

He doesn't really seem to catch well in traffic, tight coverage seems to spook him, not big on out battling guys for contested catches.  He avoids contact with and without the ball in his hands and isn't going to give you much of anything in terms of YAC other than when he has miles of wide open empty turf to eat up, always looking to just get down or out of bounds or caught up by arm tackles.

It's crazy how two people can watch the exact same thing and come away with completely different observations. 
Not saying that one is right and the other isn't, just that it is damn hard to evaluate prospects! 
When I watch Nabers I see the opposite, an explosive WR that is great at YAC, an awesome route runner who is good at contested catches with a great catch radius and that absolutely has that "dawg" in him. 
I know most people won't agree but to me Nabers is way closer to MHJ than to Odunze (and I absolutely love Odunze). 
Nabers to me is a mix of Chase and DJ Moore and will be a top 10 NFL WR for a loooong time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MagicMT said:

It's crazy how two people can watch the exact same thing and come away with completely different observations. 
Not saying that one is right and the other isn't, just that it is damn hard to evaluate prospects! 
When I watch Nabers I see the opposite, an explosive WR that is great at YAC, an awesome route runner who is good at contested catches with a great catch radius and that absolutely has that "dawg" in him. 
I know most people won't agree but to me Nabers is way closer to MHJ than to Odunze (and I absolutely love Odunze). 
Nabers to me is a mix of Chase and DJ Moore and will be a top 10 NFL WR for a loooong time. 

Count me in the minority too. Odunze is great, and I would be thrilled for him to end up in Tennessee, but I would be way more thrilled to get Nabers.

Of course we need a tackle more, so I have to live with getting neither.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Count me in the minority too. Odunze is great, and I would be thrilled for him to end up in Tennessee, but I would be way more thrilled to get Nabers.

Of course we need a tackle more, so I have to live with getting neither.

I feel like this draft is very well set up for the Titans to pick either Nabers/Odunze or their top or 2nd top rated Tackle. 
They are in a great spot relative to their needs with QBs probably going 1-2-3

• Like 1