2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

12 minutes ago, adamq said:

Dyami brown wasn't nearly as big (same height though) or physical as Legette but that's the NFL career path I worry XL could have.  Hope I'm wrong, I've learned about his personal life/ journey and he's a guy to root for

I also kind of liked Dyami Brown lol, but i don't think he had nearly the same natural athletic tools to work with.  He felt pretty "topped out" athletically to me as a prospect.  Legette feels like he's got a lot more headroom there that he hasn't been able to consistently unlock yet.

• Like 1

I like Burton and think he’s firmly a second rounder. I think his tape isn’t as good as it could have been at Bama because of his QB and the fact that they schemed him to just run go routes a lot of the time.

Good hands, good size, deep threat ability, and underutilized in school imo.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I like Burton and think he’s firmly a second rounder. I think his tape isn’t as good as it could have been at Bama because of his QB and the fact that they schemed him to just run go routes a lot of the time.

Good hands, good size, deep threat ability, and underutilized in school imo.

This is an interesting take on Burton. 

For me, i struggle a bit with trying to decide how much of it was just "underutilized" vs just straight up "underperforming".  There's definitely an element of that to his tape, where it feels like a lot of plays, they didn't even bother to design in a real role for him.  "Just run down the field as a distraction and wave your arms around or something i don't care".  But i feel like the lack of consistent presence and performance maybe goes beyond that.  Because like you said...he does have those tools to have done a lot more.  Really good impact receivers tend to find a way to make themselves more involved and uplift a bad QB at the collegiate level.

Jermaine Burton is just so underwhelming physically. He doesn’t have great speed or size. He isn’t explosive after the catch. He reminds me of Robert Woods at max. Which is a good player if he reaches that ceiling, but that’s kind of a low “best case scenario” when I hear “top 4 WR” in this class. 

Oh yeah, I like him but I don’t think there’s any reasonable argument that he’s better than WR8. And I don’t have him there.

Thomas, Mitchell, Coleman, and McConkey are outright better prospects no matter how you slice it.

I wouldn’t say he’s underwhelming physically at all. He posted good numbers on every test he did at the combine, and got behind CBs on his deep routes regularly.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Oh yeah, I like him but I don’t think there’s any reasonable argument that he’s better than WR8. And I don’t have him there.

Thomas, Mitchell, Coleman, and McConkey are outright better prospects no matter how you slice it.

I wouldn’t say he’s underwhelming physically at all. He posted good numbers on every test he did at the combine, and got behind CBs on his deep routes regularly.

For me, it's really just a question of why he doesn't use those tools to do more?  They aren't consistently there on display either.  Sometimes they show up and it's like..."well why weren't you doing that the whole time?"  Since he's clearly capable of it and the testing really bore that out.  More often, he's just kind of...out there, existing.  Barely.  Where the physical tools do seem very underwhelming because they're not really being used at full throttle.

45 minutes ago, Danger said:

How do y'all feel about the Other dudes at Washington

JaLynn Polk and McMillain

I like McMillan more than Polk. Well rounded receiver that can fit a lot of roles. Polk is a poor man’s Odunze: contested catch big body receiver.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Danger said:

How do y'all feel about the Other dudes at Washington

JaLynn Polk and McMillain

I think Polk is a solid, unspectacular contested catch/possession type WR2/3 type.  The sort of guy who will give you some size as a WR2/3 and when you throw it up to them in softer matchups/attention, they'll probably come down with it most of the time.  Move the chains, but probably just going down wherever the catch point is.  Not going to be much YAC tacked on.  Someone mentioned Mohamed Sanu at some point, and that latched on for me as a suitable comp.

McMillan is a little trickier.  He's got so many instances where he's just the totally "forgotten man" who runs wide open through a defense in that scheme with those two guys ahead of him.  There are things to him that look like a decent slot receiver.  Working underneath, screens, climbing his way up the seams and running to open space.  But it's not as easy to evaluate how it'll translate when he's not just schemed wide open all the time.  Not a standout athlete or with any real standout skills.  Hard for me to project him as more than a slot/WR3 type option to depend on.  But it's tough, because he's real good in his role and does exactly what he's asked to do there.  Also seems to have pretty decent feel for timing and space and runs decent routes.  Overwhelmingly meh.

48 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Where's the crow eaters on this one?

I still stand by that he’s not as freakish of an athlete as Marvin Harrison and even his teammate Brian Thomas. Malik definitely tested very well in the vertical. As always a pro day 40 time can leave some doubt. It looks like they only hand timed him as I did not see any equipment for an electronic time.

In other words, his hand times ranged anywhere from “mid 4.35 range to 4.40 range”. More than likely he would have been a high 4.3/low 4.4 range had he had electronic timing putting him where many (myself included) would have predicted in the first place.