Surprise cuts

49erurtaza

The Patriots have a bunch of quality guys who could wind up being on the outside looking in:

Dion Lewis - RB - With all the bodies added, he is the easiest cut to make financially. His injury history makes it easier as well

Danny Amendola - WR - Danny is a redundant player on the roster, but Brady trusts him in clutch situations. With the addition of Cooks, the emergence of sophomore Mitchell, the deep ball element that Hogan brings, and the all around guy Julian has been, and the special teams ace that Slater is, Danny becomes the sixth man on the pole. I have seen roster projections that make 6 WR's fit, but it will be tough.

Eric Rowe - CB - With the addition of Gilmore, Rowe becomes somewhat of a positionless guy. He isnt getting snaps in the slot or in nickel formations during OTA's. Reiss believes he will be a match up player, only used in specific scenarios. If Cyrus Jones can have a bounce back pre-season and bump Rowe further, he might be out. This would be the most surprising of the three thus far. 

On 7/26/2017 at 8:53 PM, bucstopshere said:

For the Bucs.....

RB Charles Sims

It's still extremely early but McNichols has been getting first team reps and he's been making plays. I'd say he's leading the way for our third down back. Sims is gonna have to do something soon or he's gonna be cut for sure.

I'm not sure that there will be for the Packers.  That said, there will be some pretty good WRs that don't make the squad.

On the bubble WRs:  Jeff Janis, Geronimo Allison, Trevor Davis, and 2017 draftees Malachi Dupree and DeAngelo Yancey.  There just isn't enough room on the roster for all of the WRs.  Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, and Jordy Nelson are locks, and there are probably 3 more spots available on the roster.  Janis is a very good ST player, and is fast.  Geronimo is big and sure handed, but doesn't play STs.  Davis is fast, with good hands, but wasn't quite ready as a rookie.  Dupree and Yancey are draft picks, and the team generally likes to give their draft picks a very good, long look.  The team also has WR Michael Clark, who is 6'6.

Probably also going to cut a DT that can play in the league.  Letroy Guion, Ricky-Jean Francois, and Brian Price can all contribute.  Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels are locks, and third round pick Montravius Adams would have to be a disaster to be cut.  That leaves five guys in the competition (Christian Ringo and Izaah Lunsford) with probably only one or two roster spots available.  Interesting tidbit, Dean Lowry is the only DE listed on the Packers' roster, the rest are DTs.  Still, there are probably only five or six spots for DL on the team (and Lowry will be one of them as well).

Also, Brett Hundley is legend.  Aaron Rodgers for surprise cap saver move.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

It's still extremely early but McNichols has been getting first team reps and he's been making plays. I'd say he's leading the way for our third down back. Sims is gonna have to do something soon or he's gonna be cut for sure.

Think McNichols will get the starter reps early on with Doug Martin serving his suspension?

3 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Think McNichols will get the starter reps early on with Doug Martin serving his suspension?

No. I still think it'll be Quizz. He earned it after last year. But I haven't heard anything about him during OTAs or through three days of practice. I dunno if we're taking it easy with him so he doesn't twist an ankle or something. But pads go on tomorrow. So I'm sure we'll see him then.

On 7/30/2017 at 9:53 AM, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I'm not sure that there will be for the Packers.  That said, there will be some pretty good WRs that don't make the squad.

On the bubble WRs:  Jeff Janis, Geronimo Allison, Trevor Davis, and 2017 draftees Malachi Dupree and DeAngelo Yancey.  There just isn't enough room on the roster for all of the WRs.  Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, and Jordy Nelson are locks, and there are probably 3 more spots available on the roster.  Janis is a very good ST player, and is fast.  Geronimo is big and sure handed, but doesn't play STs.  Davis is fast, with good hands, but wasn't quite ready as a rookie.  Dupree and Yancey are draft picks, and the team generally likes to give their draft picks a very good, long look.  The team also has WR Michael Clark, who is 6'6.

Probably also going to cut a DT that can play in the league.  Letroy Guion, Ricky-Jean Francois, and Brian Price can all contribute.  Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels are locks, and third round pick Montravius Adams would have to be a disaster to be cut.  That leaves five guys in the competition (Christian Ringo and Izaah Lunsford) with probably only one or two roster spots available.  Interesting tidbit, Dean Lowry is the only DE listed on the Packers' roster, the rest are DTs.  Still, there are probably only five or six spots for DL on the team (and Lowry will be one of them as well).

Also, Brett Hundley is legend.  Aaron Rodgers for surprise cap saver move.

There are some folks on other Packers message boards who feel Richard Rodgers could be a casualty this year after we signed Bennett and Kendricks.

For the Texans...

WR Jaelen Strong is in a do or die situation. He's always had something slow him up from playing to his true potential, and the staff is needing to see something out of him to justify keeping him as a backup WR. If he can't keep up with Braxton Miller at the least, the Texans should look elsewhere for the #4 WR. He brings no ST value, so his money has to be earned as one of the top 3 WRs.

RB Alfred Blue has been a consummate pro, backing up Arian Foster and Lamar Miller and really chipping in as a ST standout on coverage teams. That might be his saving grace, as the Texans drafted his replacement in D'Onta Foreman, and have names such as Akeem Hunt and Tyler Ervin as more dynamic options in the offense. Blue's ability in coverage might be the only thing that keeps him on over the rest.

LB Brian Cushing would be the biggest shock of the group, but it would mean that the Texans saw a lot of great things from 2nd round pick Zach Cunningham. Cunningham was drafted to become the successor to Cushing and future running mate for LB Bernardrick McKinney, so if Cushing was cut, it would mean the the overall plan would be a year ahead of schedule. 

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

There are some folks on other Packers message boards who feel Richard Rodgers could be a casualty this year after we signed Bennett and Kendricks.

I think that is wishful thinking from a group that likes to find scapegoats.  Richard Rodgers in the flat doesn't play to his strengths, why do they run it so often? Must be Richard Rodgers' fault.  It will take a huge camp from Beau Sandland or Aaron Peck to keep Rodgers off the team.  To me, that would be a huge surprise.  It will be interesting to see whether or not the team brings Rodgers back after this season, he won't be on his rookie deal anymore.  

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

LB Brian Cushing would be the biggest shock of the group, but it would mean that the Texans saw a lot of great things from 2nd round pick Zach Cunningham. Cunningham was drafted to become the successor to Cushing and future running mate for LB Bernardrick McKinney, so if Cushing was cut, it would mean the the overall plan would be a year ahead of schedule. 

Is there any cap benefit to this? 

2 minutes ago, texans_uk said:
1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Is there any cap benefit to this? 

6.5 mil in savings, just under 3 mil in dead money

13 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:
23 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Is that dependent on cutting him before the season is out? 

Those would be the numbers until the new league year starts after this upcoming season

I think next season is $7mm with no dead money. Ideally it's one more season of Cush, but no promises after this upcoming season.

Archived