Surprise cuts

49erurtaza

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not too sure if this would be considered a major surprise cut, but Sean Smith for Oakland. Smith was a "big" FA addition last offseason after being a solid CB for KC, but was a major disappointment for Oakland last season. He simply can not cover athletic WR's. He is far too slow and not agile enough to keep up. He was eaten alive most of last season and already has struggled throughout TC and PS. He looks like one of the worst CB on the entire team.

Reggie is a master at working contracts to the Raiders benefit after a year or two, so I believe if we cut Smith next year we won't have any dead money. However at this point in time I am not completely sold that he will survive that long with us. If he continues to look poor and when Conley comes back (hopefully soon from a chin injury), Smith could be pushed out the door.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm not too sure if this would be considered a major surprise cut, but Sean Smith for Oakland. Smith was a "big" FA addition last offseason after being a solid CB for KC, but was a major disappointment for Oakland last season. He simply can not cover athletic WR's. He is far too slow and not agile enough to keep up. He was eaten alive most of last season and already has struggled throughout TC and PS. He looks like one of the worst CB on the entire team.

Reggie is a master at working contracts to the Raiders benefit after a year or two, so I believe if we cut Smith next year we won't have any dead money. However at this point in time I am not completely sold that he will survive that long with us. If he continues to look poor and when Conley comes back (hopefully soon from a chin injury), Smith could be pushed out the door.

They should give the niners a call. Our cornerback depth is pretty bad, and after watching our top corner have a dreadful game against KC on saturday, there's certainly concern regarding our back end. Not sure that the niners would be interested, but it would be worth the look for both teams. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

They should give the niners a call. Our cornerback depth is pretty bad, and after watching our top corner have a dreadful game against KC on saturday, there's certainly concern regarding our back end. Not sure that the niners would be interested, but it would be worth the look for both teams. 

If the Texans had draft capital to trade, I'd like to kick the tires and see if a deal can be made. Smith has length and I think he understands our system (did he play in KC during Romeo Crennell's tenure in KC?)

11 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

If the Texans had draft capital to trade, I'd like to kick the tires and see if a deal can be made. Smith has length and I think he understands our system (did he play in KC during Romeo Crennell's tenure in KC?)

He arrived one year post-Crennel.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'd take him back. Cheaply, mind you. He'd still be a great fit for our system. I said from the start when Raider fans were asking me about him, how well Sean Smith does depends 100% on how you use him in terms of scheme and matchup. He could never cover very athletic receivers.

13 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:
19 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Add Kony Ealy to the Patriots surprise cut list 

What's the deal with this?

He has been in BB's doghouse all camp, didnt get game 1 off with other starters, and doesn't seem to be performing well in practice. Heres a Mike Reiss synopsis:

"He has an opportunity to emerge at left end with Ninkovich's retirement, but it was telling watching Wednesday's walk-through practice and seeing him working mostly with the backups and end-of-roster players. Something hasn't seemed to click with Ealy and the Patriots. When I've watched him, he hasn't consistently gotten off blocks. Once thought by some to be a roster lock, it now seems safe to say he's in a legitimate fight to earn a spot."

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

He arrived one year post-Crennel.

I'd take him back. Cheaply, mind you. He'd still be a great fit for our system. I said from the start when Raider fans were asking me about him, how well Sean Smith does depends 100% on how you use him in terms of scheme and matchup. He could never cover very athletic receivers.

It doesn't help him that he has a very poor DC in Norton. Tbh Norton could be shown the door halfway through the season too if the D continues to suck. We brought in ex- Charger DC John Pagano as an assistant coach. It is very well known that Norton could be JDR's scapegoat and replace him with Pagano the second Norton is fired.

Back to Smith, something has to change. He started to improve slightly later in the year but is definitely not worth what he is getting paid.

13 minutes ago, RedRider said:

Is Kony Ealy the Patroit who hasn't shown up to some practices (or some of camp, something like that), and said it was because, "Bill and I have something worked out. It's cool." ?

Yea

"On the training camp field for the first time on Friday, Patriots defensive end Kony Ealy said it was not an injury that kept him off the field for yesterday’s opening day of camp.

“No, just something that.. you'd have to ask coach Bill [Belichick] — me and him had something going on or whatever,” Ealy, slightly stammering while looking for the right answer, offered when asked about his absence."

Take from that what you will. I think he's been reprimanded for something.

Archived