NFL assigned former Falcons player to officiate Saints-Falcons game

everlong

3 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I'm one of the people that doesn't think the ref playing for the falcons 40 years ago matters today. 

But I don't see the situations as that comparable.What would Olsen be privy to as an announcer that could've helped him or his team?

I've wondered this and truly I don't know that it matters. He was going to watch the film anyways.

Although that's just one perspective. Maybe being there did give him a distinct advantage. I don't know.

51 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

If what you are saying were true, we shouldn't have terrible primetime games at the frequency that we do.  We wouldn't get a 40 something -8 blowout in a superbowl, and we wouldn't be suspending popular players.

Like every good conspiracy, this one is just as false.

Biased Refs probably do exist, but they are rare and limited to an individual level, and a whole crew wouldn't be able to keep up that charade for long, much less the whole league.  Someone's gonna blow a whistle like they always do when shady dealings are going on.  One thing humans can't do is keep a secret.  The more people that have to be in on it, the less likely it is to be true.

If it were real you would in fact have more games decided halfway through the 3rd qtr...not less. 

There would be no clear favorites.QBs  wouldnt,couldn't  last 15 years. Coaches wouldn't last after 3 years of a losing record. 

Just now, biletnikoff said:

If it were real you would in fact have more games decided halfway through the 3rd qtr...not less. 

There would be no clear favorites.QBs  wouldnt,couldn't  last 15 years. Coaches wouldn't last after 3 years of a losing record. 

And you know this how?  It makes perfect sense that a lot of games aren't blowouts.  Even the worst NFL team is hard to blow out every game.  This isn't Alabama vs Mercer.  The disparity in talent at the NFL level is much lower than at the collegiate or high school level.  

The only "fixing" that is being done are rules giving a slight edge to offenses to have higher scoring games in general, and rules stopping QBs from being hit hard so our star players won't get hurt every year.  There is absolutely no conspiracy to fix games for certain teams to win.  The fact that teams like the Patriots have had sustained dominance is actually evidence against a fixed league.  The Patriots are clearly outplaying their opponents, they aren't garbaging up the field and getting reffed to the superbowl.  When you put yourself in a position to win every year, you will inevitably get some good calls along the way that are gonna make people think it's fixed in your favor.  And Goodell certainly wouldn't have suspended Brady for four games if he had some secret desire to keep the team on top.

To believe in this conspiracy(and any conspiracy actually), you basically have to bury your head in the sand, ignore evidence to the contrary, make tons of unfounded assumptions, and let yourself become overwhelmed by confirmation bias.

28 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

And you know this how?  It makes perfect sense that a lot of games aren't blowouts.  Even the worst NFL team is hard to blow out every game.  This isn't Alabama vs Mercer.  The disparity in talent at the NFL level is much lower than at the collegiate or high school level.  

The only "fixing" that is being done are rules giving a slight edge to offenses to have higher scoring games in general, and rules stopping QBs from being hit hard so our star players won't get hurt every year.  There is absolutely no conspiracy to fix games for certain teams to win.  The fact that teams like the Patriots have had sustained dominance is actually evidence against a fixed league.  The Patriots are clearly outplaying their opponents, they aren't garbaging up the field and getting reffed to the superbowl.  When you put yourself in a position to win every year, you will inevitably get some good calls along the way that are gonna make people think it's fixed in your favor.  And Goodell certainly wouldn't have suspended Brady for four games if he had some secret desire to keep the team on top.

To believe in this conspiracy(and any conspiracy actually), you basically have to bury your head in the sand, ignore evidence to the contrary, make tons of unfounded assumptions, and let yourself become overwhelmed by confirmation bias.

I know this how? Because  I rely on my  common sense. Everything you describe is because you believe a reality  they created for you on your tv. All you know is you watch guys run around a field catching  or dropping balls. You can't prove  you know their motivation  for it.

Everyone on the browns, Giants, Bengals,Bears, make the same money as the wnning team guys. Making money Is the motivation, not to win.

I'm sorry but how do you know you aren't  the one with the confirmation bias? I just told you that the real world isn't  as exciting  as tv sports world.Nothing in your life compares. 

Common  sense tells me there's  no way last year that the Falcons  only run 5 or 6 run plays in the second half unless they are throwing the game.  It's too obvious,it's too simple. I know I am right. I don't a need conformation or approval.

No one is that stupid to do that on purpose unless they are trying to lose.

Everyone in the entire country would have run 14 of their first 18 plays and eaten the entire 3rd qtr..truth and reality are that simple. Sports is entertainment, not competition. 

3 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

I know this how? Because  I rely on my  common sense. Everything you describe is because you believe a reality  they created for you on your tv. All you know is you watch guys run around a field catching  or dropping balls. You can't prove  you know their motivation  for it.

Everyone on the browns, Giants, Bengals,Bears, make the same money as the wnning team guys. Making money Is the motivation, not to win.

I'm sorry but how do you know you aren't  the one with the confirmation bias? I just told you that the real world isn't  as exciting  as tv sports world.Nothing in your life compares. 

Common  sense tells me there's  no way last year that the Falcons  only run 5 or 6 run plays in the second half unless they are throwing the game.  It's too obvious,it's too simple. I know I am right. I don't a need conformation or approval.

No one is that stupid to do that on purpose unless they are trying to lose.

Everyone in the entire country would have run 14 of their first 18 plays and eaten the entire 3rd qtr..truth and reality are that simple. Sports is entertainment, not competition. 

Because I'm not going to blindly believe whatever I want when the evidence against strongly outweighs the evidence for.  I mean really, really think about what all HAS to occur for the entire league to be in on the fixing scheme.  Like the old saying goes, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  A claim of conspiracy to fix the NFL is an extraordinary claim.  The only evidence for such a claim is extremely minimal and circumstantial.

In any case, you can believe whatever you want and the league is certainly incompetent on many levels.

I never thought the NFL wanted to "fix" games in terms of who wins. They are much more interested in the conduct of the games and who watches

throwing a flag to keep a game close into the 4th quarter ? That I could possibly believe. And the episode with Jeff Fisher shows that the networks do have a direct communication link to the Refs. The networks told the refs they needed to squeeze in a couple more commercials and when the refs told Fisher to call a time-out, he told them to go pound salt. So the refs asked Del Rio, and he obliged, even though the game was decided and headed toward victory formation

The NFL owners/networks care about making money -  and keeping a game competitive, deeper into the 4th Q  is one way to do that.

As noted by others - I don't think there is any way they could fix the actual outcome of games even if they wanted to.

4 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Have you read this thread? Or just popping in for that?

No, I did not read the entire thread, but I did read the top post on page 1, and I hear the whiny of refs, by saints fans, since last Thursday. Just making a statement here.

On 12/13/2017 at 11:52 AM, BladeKor said:

Saints fans didn't have a problem whith the katrina refs... Just saying.

On 12/13/2017 at 6:20 PM, BladeKor said:

No, I did not read the entire thread, but I did read the top post on page 1, and I hear the whiny of refs, by saints fans, since last Thursday.

So you're just making general statements to attack an entire fanbase. That's textbook trolling.

Did you know that the OP (the only post you claim to have read) isn't even a Saints fan?

On 12/18/2017 at 9:15 PM, BladeKor said:

Calm down princess.

Yep. Glad we got that sorted out.

You type, and all that comes out on the other end is garbage. Please take that crap back to your home forum, I don't think they want it either but at least it's SOMETHING getting posted there.

Here's some opinions of Saints fans that you apparently missed through all the "whining" you've been dealing with. 

On 12/10/2017 at 2:32 PM, domepatrol91 said:

at the end of the day, all these refs have favorite teams, players and coaches. Being a former falcons player doesn’t automatically make him biased, even in a Saints/Falcons game. 

On 12/12/2017 at 3:48 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Like every good conspiracy, this one is just as false.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:02 PM, JMG5 said:

That's strange, but I don't think it really had anything to do with the game.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:30 AM, Jlowe22 said:

Had nothing to do with the game, the refs were just terrible like they usually are regardless of who plays.

On 12/12/2017 at 6:06 PM, Raves said:

Did this guy change the outcome of the game?  Probably not.

Does this open up the NFL to criticism?  Most definitely.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:23 AM, whodatworm23 said:

I wasnt agreeing with Hebert nor was I saying this game was fixed... All im pointing out is the reason the NFL for the most part has reframed from having these types of situations exist is for exactly this reason so they have only themselves to blame for the out cry that some fans view as an uneven playing field. 

On 12/14/2017 at 1:05 AM, jcvoodoo said:
On 12/13/2017 at 2:09 PM, navysaintsfan said:

I blame Payton for the loss more than anything. This game could have been won even with refs against us (which I don't believe was the case).

I argree with ya navyman. Kamara's concussion was unfortunate, but Payton jumped the gun by abandoning the run game completely. And, the extremely questionable playcalling is the final 4 minutes of the game. First and goal...can escape Atlanta with a win (in their house!) and improve to 10-3...let's run 3 straight pass plays and have Brees force things...yep, that's good coaching.

9 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

So you're just making general statements to attack an entire fanbase. That's textbook trolling.

Did you know that the OP (the only post you claim to have read) isn't even a Saints fan?

Yep. Glad we got that sorted out.

You type, and all that comes out on the other end is garbage. Please take that crap back to your home forum, I don't think they want it either but at least it's SOMETHING getting posted there.

Here's some opinions of Saints fans that you apparently missed through all the "whining" you've been dealing with. 

I don't like Saints fans, anything to rub you knuckleheads the wrong way.

Archived