A former Falcons player was one of the officials in the loss to the Falcons

Dome

The NFL has confirmed that former Falcons player Phil McKinnely served as the down judge for the Saints-Falcons game.

The strangest aspect of the assignment is that McKinnely isn’t a member of the crew that worked the game. He’s the down judge on Bill Vinovich’s crew, but he was assigned to work on Clete Blakeman’s crew.

“As per standard procedure, both clubs received the officiating crew for Week 14 on November 30,” NFL spokesman Mike Signora told PFT via email on Sunday. “The officiating schedule is made by the NFL Officiating staff, so they determine who is assigned to what game.”

The official game book appearing at NFL.com shows that Hugo Cruz, not McKinnely, served as the down judge for the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/10/nfl-assigned-former-falcons-player-to-officiate-saints-falcons-game/

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

How crappy is that. In one of the biggest rivalry games in the NFL, the NFL can't put out an officiating crew with no ties to either team?

Agreed. I don’t think it mattered, a bad ref is a bad ref, but why even take the chance? These are important games and fans are LOOKING for a reason to trash the NFL. They set themselves up with this one.

34 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I don’t believe that someone doesn’t have at minimal subconscious bias in that situation.

He’s been a ref in the NFL for 15 years, and worked in the SEC before that.

He played for Atlanta 40 years ago. Arthur Blank didnt buy them for another 20 years after he left. What ties does he have to anyone in that franchise?

Id be willing to bet his new bias lies solely on his new career which means officiating to the best of his ability, but that’s obviously just speculation. 

I honestly consider this a non-factor. I’d file it under the “couldn’t care less” category, but thats just me.

Does anyone know what he actually did in this game? Did he call any of the penalties? Any of the bad ones? 

7 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

He played for Atlanta 40 years ago. Arthur Blank didnt buy them for another 20 years after he left. What ties does he have to anyone in that franchise?

Id be willing to bet his new bias lies solely on his new career which means officiating to the best of his ability, but that’s obviously just speculation. 

I honestly consider this a non-factor. I’d file it under the “couldn’t care less” category, but thats just me.

Does anyone know what he actually did in this game? Did he call any of the penalties? Any of the bad ones? 

That was one of, if not the worst, officiated games that I could remember. Something that bad is hard to happen by pure chance. So...when you hear stories that suggest bias...it’s hard for me to completely sweep under the rug. I’m far from a conspiracy theory type of person...but I also notice when things are different. 

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

Something that bad is hard to happen by pure chance.

I think that suggests it’s even more likely to be chance.

If the NFL was rigging games, wouldn’t we have seen more egregious examples than this by now? If there is a “perfect storm” of bad calls and it only happens once, that says “bad luck” more than “The NFL is influencing games,” to me.

8 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

So...when you hear stories that suggest bias...it’s hard for me to completely sweep under the rug

I don’t know if I agree. What exactly suggests bias? Did he make any bad calls? Did he miss any egregious calls that any other ref would’ve made? What ties does he have to the current organization? I think these are questions I’d like answers to before I even CONSIDERED the idea that he’s purposely influenced the game unfairly.

18 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’m far from a conspiracy theory type of person...but I also notice when things are different. 

If we’re looking at this with a wider scope: Why would this game be the worst (aka most obvious) game you’ve seen? What’s so special about this game that it needed to be rigged? Why would they try it on prime time? Why would they attempt it with a former Falcon in the officiating crew?

It was a poorly officiated game, no doubt about that. But these questions would need answers before we got too crazy about any conspiracy theories, IMO

9 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Well, he needs some better focus. He is not a good ref, or at least the unit as a whole is not very good.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:21 PM, domepatrol91 said:

He was the ref that cut Lattimore off on the INT forcing him inside to Ryan... He also made a few questionable calls and non calls for Atl.

Word is he was also the ref that called the Bronco player that returned the blocked kick for a TD inbounds but I havent verified that yet.

Reguardless which side you sit on this, this is a clear reason why a ref with his background should NEVER be on the field in a game like that! What makes it smell funny is how he was suddenly added to the crew last minute. Still it brings a bad smell to the game and the NFL only has itself to blame for it.

3 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

He was the ref that cut Lattimore off on the INT forcing him inside to Ryan

He was moving quickly to the sideline like you're supposed to. That's a part of the game.

3 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

He also made a few questionable calls and non calls for Atl.

They all did, if we're being honest. I don't know that he looks any worse than anyone else officiating that game, or most games nowadays. 

Archived