The bad, the ugly, the locked thread

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

9 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

The good, it was so ugly that it should lead to some coach firings 

Based on the comments, thats what it sounds like to me.  I feel like eventually Downing can be a good coach, but he's certainly not ready to be left on an island like this.  He needs an Al Saunders type around, I think.

Anyways I'll leave it there and move to a coaching thread.  Eager to see write ups in here since I didn't watch the game.

35 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Based on the comments, thats what it sounds like to me.  I feel like eventually Downing can be a good coach, but he's certainly not ready to be left on an island like this.  He needs an Al Saunders type around, I think.

Anyways I'll leave it there and move to a coaching thread.  Eager to see write ups in here since I didn't watch the game.

Don’t let the final score fool you. It wasn’t that close and the 15 points were scored in garbage time.

That's the problem with a rookie coordinator. They simply lack experience, seeing things, trying things, so they're plans become relatively vanilla and more reactionary. And lean towards other teams being able to take advantage of you for a couple quarters before you make changes. When you have a veteran team, rookie coordinators are usually a pitfall for a couple years.

15 minutes ago, NickButera said:

That's the problem with a rookie coordinator. They simply lack experience, seeing things, trying things, so they're plans become relatively vanilla and more reactionary. And lean towards other teams being able to take advantage of you for a couple quarters before you make changes. When you have a veteran team, rookie coordinators are usually a pitfall for a couple years.

I mean this offense is built to succeed now and Downing is destroying it. I’m not sure this offense has time to wait for Downing to gain experience.

31 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I mean this offense is built to succeed now and Downing is destroying it. I’m not sure this offense has time to wait for Downing to gain experience.

I agree. Which is why the next coordinators we choose are veterans of the trade.

Its truly mystifying how the team (mainly the offense) looked on the 1st 2 games. Downing looked like a offensive guru. Been a disaster ever since. That and the Oline stinking, receivers dropping passes left and right, and Carr looking timid at times in the pocket.

Just glas we can move on from this staff as a whole. Never a fan of Del Rio.

Good:

Irvin looks amazing. Still want another pass rusher added but the DC coordinator change has clearly rejuvenated his pass rushing skills. 

Marshawn Lynch once again plays well. Dude has probably been our most consistent offensive player. I feel bad that he came to play for his hometown team and we are crap.

Jared Cook played another good game and has quietly had one of his best years. It's hilarious that we waited until the 4th quarter to realize that he was a mismatch for them, as if we forgot about how big he was in the first game vs them.

Clive Walford also has come on as of late. He makes some great catches and I still believe he has potential. Sucks that he got concussed. 

Autry made a few nice plays. He deserves a nice payday but I hope it's not here. Too inconsistent and not starter material.

The Bad :

King - Punted like crap today.

Karl Joseph - He got his first pick of the year, but the guy is underwhelming. He doesn't make plays. Now I could live with that if he made up for it in other areas, but he doesn't. He's an average to bad tackler. Got embarrassed by both Chiefs TEs today in the open field, and has whiffed on a number of tackles throughout the year. He can't cover anybody who's bigger than him, which is basically everybody. The only thing he does well is blitz from time to time, oh yeah and he hits hard. Hate to say it, but he's looking more and more like another bad Reggie pick.

Pagano playing the corners so far off Hill - I understand the guy is the fastest player in the NFL but we were just straight up conceding uncontested first downs to him because we were so scared of the long ball. A good DC finds another way to negate that. 

TJ Carrie - For the most part he has been solid all year, but today we saw that he is just the shiniest turd in the toilet bowl out of all our DBs. He can't make a play on the ball to save his life. Those two long plays he gave up today reminded me of DJ Hayden.

Reggie Nelson - I really don't even need to say anything. 

Crabtree - We all harp on Coop for his drops but Crab has been right behind him. He killed two drives today with drops. And he honestly has been trash since the first month or do of the year. 

Holton - starting to call him Seth Roberts JR. Makes far too many mistakes for the little opportunities that he gets.

The Ugly:

Todd Downing - There was actually a thread on here recently where some were possibly discussing retaining Downing, saying that he's growing because we put up 21 and 20 points respectively against the Broncos and Giants lol. The guy is a friggin bum. Today was yet another pathetic display. Worst OC I can remember in recent memory. Literally every. single. offensive. player. has regressed. Nuff said. 

Derek Carr aka Derek Dalton - Somebody please tell me we just didn't give 125 million to a Andy Dalton/Ryan Tannehill tier qb? Carr was honestly the worst player on the field today and I am really beginning to question if this is who this guy really is. He's had a Cam Newton type regression after an MVP caliber season last year. We can blame Downing all we want, but Carr is the supposed franchise QB and he can't hack it right now. Missed two wide open long TDs, threw one of the worst INTs you will ever see. Almost got Coop killed two weeks ago, and today left both Lynch and Walford out to dry.

Doesn't survey the field, Scared to hold onto the ball for more than 3 seconds. Skittish in the pocket. His poise deteriorates if he's touched once. Has no improvisational skills whatsoever. Can't extend a play. Doesn't use his feet. Plays like he is scared to be touched. I question his football toughness. He's brittle and injury prone. 

I ageee with the above poster on Carr and Downing. 

To add add this is yet another game that Raiders didn’t show up to. The redskins, The Bills, The Ravens, The Patriots and now the Chiefs. This is all on coaching, they need to keep players motivated and prepared for games. It’s obvious that isn’t happening. 

Archived