Marcus Mariota - When is the time to panic?

titans0021

35 minutes ago, footlunder said:

EPIC.

Flawless victory I have nothing to say to those calling Mariota bust after 1 bad season, when Peyton Manning sucked his rookie season, Brett Favre wasn’t a household name till the falcons traded him to GB, Aaron Rodgers didn’t see the field till his 4th season. Oh & some guy name Jared Goff was a bust his rookie yr but in his 2nd year he’s a God.. yeah I say all the Mariota a bust talk, we dead it by simply not responding to BULL SH*+ The guy as a rookie no running game no OL to protect him, threw 19TDs & 10 pics oh he was not viewed as a pocket passer & didn’t play under center at all in college. Next season gets a running game balls out  26TDs 9int & has yet thrown an int in the red zone..But 1 bad year ?????

He is playing in a system that is made for Big Ben, Matt Ryan, and really does not utilize any of his natural gifts. Those guys are stand in the pocket and let plays develop and deliver the ball as they get hit. Thats not our guy. Our offense does not lend its self to developing a rhythm as a passer which is what a young QB needs. Constantly standing in and delivering on 3rd and 10 is not something that helps a young mobile QB develop. Zero roll outs, zero bootlegs, and a terrible screen game...not the ideal situation for a developing QB.  

Sure they threw in a few read options....but his real talent is when the field is spread...finding the match-up that can be exploited. Instead he lines up in 2 TE and 2 man deep routes. I heard it said today that the offense is so predictable and D's know what 3 routes we run.  Nearly every throw that he completes is contested.  Other teams are able to scheme guys open. Our guys rarely schemed open, and never have open field, all catches we make the defender is right there to take us down. 

Another thing about this offense that doesn't suit Marcus is the fact that he never has a lane to scramble, the formation is so condensed and there are 14 or 15 player between the hashes so his only option is to get to the outside which gives the defense time to cover since there is no throwing lane until he gets outside the hashes. 

As mentioned in another thread he wasn't able to work on his game last off season due to his leg injury, brand new receiving corps, and his mechanics are clearly off and have been all season. They have certainly gotten worse with the hammy and now the knee. I don't think he has been confident in his mechanics even going back to the preseason, coming off the broken leg.

I think that he will be much better with an actual offseason to work with receivers and work on his mechanics. If he gets to work in an offense that is more suited to him, even better. Look at Geoff...from flop to pro bowler in one season....why....the offense is creative and they tailored it to his skill set. 

Driving into work today. Takes about 25 minutes or so. And like everyday I listen to sports radio. 

And it got me to thinking of the 1999 year. Titans were fresh and new to the city. Undefeated at home. Loudest crowd in the league title. Times were good. 

I don't know if many of you remember those days. Some of you were on elementary school maybe and just a casual fan. Something resonated with you to make you be a fan. 

I don't think this team is anything like the 99 team but the comparison has been made locally. The main connection is the un-interesting  offense. The struggle to beat teams convincingly and the heavy lean on the running game. 

However the current team is missing a key piece. Jevon Kearse. That was a scale tipping factor. 

One thing that is so in common is our QB. Both were heralded college players. Heisman worthy or winning level players. 

I don't know it people remember how loud the screams were for us to bench and or cut McNair. It was his 5th year in the league. Number 5!  Third full year as a starter. The fans were screaming for us to start Neil O'Donnell. 

McNair only played 11 games that season. In the wild card game he threw for a grand total of 76 yards.  He didn't throw for more than 200 yard until the super bowl that playoff run. 

Can you imagine the uproar if that was today with sports radio and social media. 

I'm a history buff, so I'm attentive to all things. And right now it's like deja-vu. Marcus will be fine. Even if he does nothing more than throw for 210 yards a game with 1 TD and a 20 rushing yards. 

He needs to evolve, the same as McNair needed too. He also needs to be let loose like McNair was allowed too by Dinger. 

If its around. Try to dig up articles from that season. Try to hear what they were saying about McNair. Will he be healthy enough to play in this league. Can he handle an NFL offense. Read about how they cheered when he got injured and Neil came in. Read about how people thought we should draft Tee Martin to replace him. 

I'm not worried about Marcus. Eventually we will all get our wish and see a new offensive system for him. One that fits him better and allows him to be himself more. 

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Driving into work today. Takes about 25 minutes or so. And like everyday I listen to sports radio. 

And it got me to thinking of the 1999 year. Titans were fresh and new to the city. Undefeated at home. Loudest crowd in the league title. Times were good. 

I don't know if many of you remember those days. Some of you were on elementary school maybe and just a casual fan. Something resonated with you to make you be a fan. 

I don't think this team is anything like the 99 team but the comparison has been made locally. The main connection is the un-interesting  offense. The struggle to beat teams convincingly and the heavy lean on the running game. 

However the current team is missing a key piece. Jevon Kearse. That was a scale tipping factor. 

One thing that is so in common is our QB. Both were heralded college players. Heisman worthy or winning level players. 

I don't know it people remember how loud the screams were for us to bench and or cut McNair. It was his 5th year in the league. Number 5!  Third full year as a starter. The fans were screaming for us to start Neil O'Donnell. 

McNair only played 11 games that season. In the wild card game he threw for a grand total of 76 yards.  He didn't throw for more than 200 yard until the super bowl that playoff run. 

Can you imagine the uproar if that was today with sports radio and social media. 

I'm a history buff, so I'm attentive to all things. And right now it's like deja-vu. Marcus will be fine. Even if he does nothing more than throw for 210 yards a game with 1 TD and a 20 rushing yards. 

He needs to evolve, the same as McNair needed too. He also needs to be let loose like McNair was allowed too by Dinger. 

If its around. Try to dig up articles from that season. Try to hear what they were saying about McNair. Will he be healthy enough to play in this league. Can he handle an NFL offense. Read about how they cheered when he got injured and Neil came in. Read about how people thought we should draft Tee Martin to replace him. 

I'm not worried about Marcus. Eventually we will all get our wish and see a new offensive system for him. One that fits him better and allows him to be himself more. 

I feel pumped up right now!! Wanna go hit somebody!!!!

It's easy to say Marcus has been underwhelming this year, and it is true...but, who isn't on the offense?  The line has regressed, the WR's have messed up more plays than I'd like to admit, the RB's look blind to hitting holes and try to bounce everything outside.  Marcus does also admit that he is struggling with throwing off his front foot, possible the injury last year in the back of his mind.  I ain't giving up on him, but then again, my name is VYoung10, so I am about as clueless as can be when it comes to trusting QB's.

Unless the injuries become bad enough to a point at which they totally derail his career, Mariota will be fine. He has all the necessary tools and smarts to make it in the league. He'll eventually find his footing, I just don't believe it will be under the current coaching staff, and depending upon our decisions as an organization moving forward, I'm beginning to have my reservations as to whether it will even be in Tennessee. 

I feel like all this talk about Marcus being a bust is way premature. I'm not going to panic about him until he gets fully healthy and we can see him with an offensive staff that actually opens things up for him. We're going to have him for at least two more years, and he has shown at times that he could be truly special at QB, but like others have said, our entire offense is under performing. Just like people are too quick to crown guys after 1 year of great play, the same is true when it comes to calling guys busts after a bad year. The HC decision looms large on Marcus' development to me. We have at least two years left to figure out if Marcus is our guy, and I think the best chance we can give him is by getting a HC that opens up the offense for him now as opposed to in the final year of his deal where we couldn't get to see a full picture of what he could be, because he had another wasted year under this Mularkey offense.

Archived