Marcus Mariota - When is the time to panic?

titans0021

On 12/13/2017 at 5:22 PM, SARGO127 said:

I know he won't be traded. But...realistically, what is his trade value? 

My buddies at work say he's not worth a 1st round pick.

Elway would be throwing a first-round pick at us before we even finished saying he's available.

14 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I guess i never answered the original question of the thread.

When to panic? 
After next year.  If he is still making these mistakes and more INTs than TDs, then we are majorly concerned.  

I think that's where I'm at right now... not panicking yet... but a slight sense of concern is creeping in.

He improved from year 1 to year 2 with the same staff he has now.  He's improved in some areas this year, but he still has those WTF moments... but now I'm convinced this has been due more to injury than just to his mechanics crapping out due to coaching.

But that in itself raises concern.  He was hurt a couple of times year 1... ended year 2 early from the broken leg... and now he's had multiple injuries in year 3 that may (or may not) be affecting his mechanics and overall effectiveness.  He missed a lot of this past offseason recovering from the broken leg... and it sounds like he may need to get some more stuff cleaned up this offseason... all signs pointing to no major work... but you know never know, since whatever is bothering is having a pretty significant effect on him.

I’m not panicking yet especially since the way Mariota keeps going with injuries and bad play he is helping the Titans case to not make him the highest paid QB in the league. He still will cash in but won’t be the top QB contract in the league if he continues to down this path.

Mariota is still a good QB even if he has another 10-6 season next year I’m not looking to move on from him. 

The only thing I ask from the Titans is to invest in a legit back up don’t have another Rustee Smith type. Find a Volek type. Titans don’t have to waste a pick on it but Foles was an option, Hoyer was an option. There are guys out there that are capable of helping if Marcus goes out for a game or 2 that are way better options than Cassell

So according to PFF... I know... Mariota has been a top 10 QB.

1 thing I did find interesting was the "turnover worthy pass %" stat. I had mentioned a few weeks ago how unlucky I thought he was this year in terms of ints. I felt like a lot of his bad throws ended up as picks, where other QBs had a little better luck... 

This figure from PFF seems to confirm what I saw a few weeks ago... They have Mariota rated 7th in the NFL with a 2.5%... And had this to say:

"He stands out when pressured, and makes very few turnover-worthy throws despite his high interception totals. That indicates that Mariota is running into some bad luck in that virtually every turnover-worthy throw he makes winds up being a turnover."

http://titanswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/07/marcus-mariota-pro-football-focus/?utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spotim_recirculation&spotim_referrer=recirculation

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Also we havnt made the playoff in 9 years and we are on the verge of doing that. If we do I don’t get why anyone wants to move on from him just because of a loss to Arizona

"Cause I don't like him. And I never will. Things are getting worst despite our improved record. We need to be proactive in all situations. Whenever we get a coach and he struggles, then we should replace him."

I think that pretty much sums it up. 

If this was next year, I'd understand more. But year two and on the verge of playoffs for the first times since 2008, to me doesn't mean fire the head coach. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000896059/article/carson-wentz-jared-goff-among-top-young-qbs-to-build-around

Mariota, 24, is not having a good season. But I honestly just love this guy. He's an athletic player with outstanding speed and accuracy. In my opinion, the Titans' run-oriented offense is not taking advantage of what Mariota can do best. Tennessee should be spreading the field and putting Mariota in position to win with his elusiveness and vision. Frankly, I think his struggles -- including a career high interception total -- can be blamed more on scheme than on Mariota's decision-making. If he were in an offense that maximized his mobility, I don't think he'd be turning the ball over at nearly the same level. Mariota is tough, mature and, in the right system, capable of taking a team to the Super Bowl.

So much truth in this section about Mariota.

• 1 month later...

@KingTitan I read that entire Twitter thread earlier today. He isn't a Titans fan buy seems to agree with all of our complaints about the offense. 

Also, the no look pass is something I never see talked about with other QBs. He's just so good. I think it also has something to do with how his feet can get messed up. He's always talking about bad footwork when he has a bad pass, but I think it's due to him trying to get guys open with his eyes because they weren't getting open on their own.

34 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

@KingTitan I read that entire Twitter thread earlier today. He isn't a Titans fan buy seems to agree with all of our complaints about the offense. 

Also, the no look pass is something I never see talked about with other QBs. He's just so good. I think it also has something to do with how his feet can get messed up. He's always talking about bad footwork when he has a bad pass, but I think it's due to him trying to get guys open with his eyes because they weren't getting open on their own.

Yeah, I had my share of concerns with Marcus this season, but the guys that seem to pay close attention to QB play usually have a lot of praise for him. Need Corey Davis to step up desperately. Somebody has to get consistent separation other than Delanie. Hopefully LaFleur will work on some of the smaller mechanical things, but man it would be nice to have quality receivers and play calling that could scheme receivers open.

Archived