Josh McCown has broken left hand, back injury

jetskid007

WHich is why it would be completely ridiculous to bring him back as a starter or even in general. he has never played a full year. You sold us on a bad year as fans, we deserve a QB we can be excited about next year. If we can draft one than FA. McCown has to be absolute last resort. Thanks for an exciting year, guy played his tail off but he'll be 39, I would rather add him to the coaching staff. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

WHich is why it would be completely ridiculous to bring him back as a starter or even in general. he has never played a full year. You sold us on a bad year as fans, we deserve a QB we can be excited about next year. If we can draft one than FA. McCown has to be absolute last resort. Thanks for an exciting year, guy played his tail off but he'll be 39, I would rather add him to the coaching staff. 

i would definitely keep him around so you dont have to start your rookie, if you draft one

I think we are going to find out very quickly why the whole team supported McCown. I'm not going to grade Petty on this game since he was just thrust into the lineup but he has to be able to show comparable ability to lead the offense for me to believe McCown was the wrong option.

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

I think we are going to find out very quickly why the whole team supported McCown. I'm not going to grade Petty on this game since he was just thrust into the lineup but he has to be able to show comparable ability to lead the offense for me to believe McCown was the wrong option.

Your point is correct, now it time to finally find out about Hack & Petty, if they both fail it time to cut ties with both of them. We played a team Sunday who has the worst offensive in the NFL, only Thomas is a star player. What I said last week is so true we have the best run defensive in the NFL. It is impossible to run on the Jets, and yet teams keep trying. It looks like Rob Anderson is no longer a secret, teams are now putting in their game plan to stop him, that's OK is just weakens them in other positions. We must do something about our lousy running game, Powell got 25% of his total yards in the Jacksonville, game. Mac has a big job in the offseason, he has holes on offensive that must be fixed. If he fails in the Draft & the FA period he must be replaced there can be no argument about that. And I don't even want to talk about Bowles.

If McCown is done for the rest of the season, the organization will go in full-development mode. Bowles made his proclamation last night that Petty would be the starter, but just keep in mind that he's answering a question in the heat of the moment, without getting the opportunity to speak with the front office/ownership. 

Regardless what happens here-on out, I think Bowles and his staff will have gotten a vote of confidence from the organization for how well this team has competed - and overachieved - this season. If the team can make Bowles feel comfortable about his job security given the injury to his starting QB, maybe he'll be willing to use the next 3 games to evaluate both QBs. We all know Maccagnan wants to see Hackenberg, and in their conference call to season ticket holders before the season, Maccagnan acknowledged that the "plan" was for McCown to start the season and Hackenberg to finish it. Maybe Macc can influence Bowles to get Hackenberg game action, possibly even even consider a time-split in 1st team reps for the two quarterbacks, to allow the front office and coaching staff to be able to evaluate both on the fly.  After all, they are your only two QBs under contract next year.

Call it a potential early look at your 2018 QB competition. 

We have to see Hackenberg just so we can say we've seen him in game action and basically confirm the narrative that he just is in over his head.

Petty still looked erratic. I dont care about reps, if you can hit a wide open target on a 5 yard out on 3rd down you have no business even being a backup. I was happy selecting Petty a few years ago because if you watched his film the kid could flat out throw the ball. Has definitely not translated. That's a Mark Sanchez throw. 

I don't know what will Bowles and Morton set up for qb reps this week but I hope Petty gets full reps. Over 3 years, he has only one connection and it is Robby Anderson. It isn't easy for Petty to take over the reins and make Jimmy G production.

Still, Jimmy G's presence has been outstanding and I don't think I would get that kind of feeling for Petty or Hackenberg. That is why I won't be surprised if McCown plays. eh?

Didn't know where to put this, but... 

Many in the media seem to be annoyed with Hackenberg not getting the starting nod over Petty. Here's what I expect will happen: 

Petty gets the start this week. He's tasked with going INTO New Orleans and faces one of the leagues better defenses. My guess is that he will play the entire game (unless it's a blowout), and unless he performs really well despite a loss, I expect Hackenberg will be the starter in week 16. Here's why: 

• Maccagnan is eager to get Hackenberg on the field, and although he doesn't have much influence over Todd in terms of coaching decisions, even ownership wants to see what they have in Hack. It's an organizational decision and if unless Petty is lights out, expect Hack to get his opportunity (evidenced by training camp distribution, where Hack virtually dominated 1st/2nd team reps). 
  • It's not beneficial to make Hack the starter after just one game being the backup.  He did receive plenty during training camp and preseason to be familiar with his OL and (most) of the receiving core, but gradually getting more reps this week, with starters reps next week, will give him a better opportunity to feel comfortable playing his first game at home before going on the road to NE. 
  • Petty will have had his opportunity to make his mark after this game. This will be his 5th start, and he has played about 17 quarters worth of football in the last year. While that's not enough to reach a verdict on a player's career, it is enough for a team who has a 22-year-old QB who was drafted in the 2nd round that hasn't had any game action in his career. 

Unless Petty is spectacular, which is going to be very difficult given the circumstance,  I expect Hackenberg to be the starting QB against the Chargers. 

Let’s get this Hackenberg show on the road. I expect an epic fail just as I did when he was drafted but I’m glad the time is finally almost here.

Its too late to play Petty now IMO. It’s more vital to get a better look at Hack than to pull a half measure and give Petty a start. It’s clear Bowles doesn’t want Petty as his QB. Might as well give Hack more time.

Unless Bowles still thinks his job is in jeopardy, which he probably does with this inept ownership. 

Hopefully Kamara goes wild in the first half (for my fantasy team purposes) and we make the change at half to Hack.  I hope he plays well but I just won't get my hopes up.  We likely lose out with Hack the rest of the way and get a top 7 pick and land one of Mayfield or Jackson.  We use our cap space to build a good team around one of them and bring McCown back to be a stable backup.

I'm 100% sure that we will look back at this injury similar to how Patriots fan look back at the Bledsoe injury. One of Petty or Hack will be the next Tom Brady. Book it.

Alright now that I got the kool-aid out of my system, can't wait to see Petty. But I don't think this is going to be Pretty. The Saints have a legit defense and Lattimore is a shutdown corner. He gave Julio Jones problems in that Thursday night game a week ago. Julio had 5 catches and 98 yards, but he had to work for those numbers. It was awesome to watch that match-up.

It's going to be a tough test for Petty and Anderson. 

Archived