Carson Wentz Injury Update Thread (Out for season)

Danger

We had one season last year where we had the same qb in all 16 games after all those years and now this happens to Carson. I wonder how lucky Giants fans may consider themselves with Eli starting all those years (except for that only game lol). And we still have to wait for our first qb to throw for 4,000 yards in a season, not that is important or anything.

I think Foles can be a decent game manager for us, so our defense and the running game has to step up big time if they are serious about making a push. I mean, before the season how many of you would have taken friggin' Case Keenum over Foles? And now the guy is playing pretty good, so my point is you never know. We all remember what Foles did in St Louis with a bad team around him, but we also remember what he did when he had playmakers in Philly. 

55 minutes ago, Phire said:

You're talking about several different things. Wentz doesn't "rely" on his legs the same way Cam Newton or Russell Wilson does. Those quarterbacks literally rely on their legs and will often lead their teams in rushing. That's not Carson Wentz at all. He isn't leading the league in touchdown passes because he relies on his legs. In fact, the vast majority of his plays are from the pocket. The vast majority of his good plays this year have come from the pocket. I think the fact that the plays that stand out to us were Carson being mobile makes it seem like that's all he does. It's not.

Pocket mobility is different from relying on legs. I don't even know why that's in the discussion. Tearing an ACL shouldn't have any effect on a QBs ability to navigate the pocket.

Sure, he doesn't rely on them to the extent of Cam/Russell, but he still relies on them a pretty great deal. He has more rushing yards than Dak Prescott, who I would say still depends on his legs pretty heavily.  Now obviously, Wentz is a lot better from the pocket than Prescott, but he is still reliant on his legs/athleticism for productive plays.

I talk about pocket mobility because it goes hand in hand with scrambling for athletic QBs.  Wentz is still more inclined to scramble than he is to navigate the pocket.  Wentz can make plays from the pocket, and he's made a number of good throws from it, but where he has really cut up defenses is when he has bought additional time and thrown outside of it or gotten out of what seems like a definite sack and run for a critical first down. 

You also seem to have misinterpreted my post a bit, where I feel he can improve is in navigating the pocket, and I'm optimistic that this injury will actually help him with that. Whereas this year he might've been more inclined to take off and run, hopefully he'll become more adept at keeping his feet active in the pocket and buying more time and manipulating pass rushers.  This is something both Rodgers and Brady do at an elite level and it doesn't depend on athleticism.  Wentz's feet in the pocket can tend to still get too static at times.

4 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

He has more rushing yards than Dak Prescott, who I would say still depends on his legs pretty heavily.  Now obviously, Wentz is a lot better from the pocket than Prescott, but he is still reliant on his legs/athleticism for productive plays.

this entire thought is poo

Just now, Matts4313 said:

this entire thought is poo

Good thing poo is real. The fact Wentz is better from the pocket than Prescott is especially sad considering that most of the time Prescott actually sticks in the pocket is when he has 15 seconds to throw the ball... and you still can't depend on his accuracy.  

9 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Good thing poo is real. The fact Wentz is better from the pocket than Prescott is especially sad considering that most of the time Prescott actually sticks in the pocket is when he has 15 seconds to throw the ball... and you still can't depend on his accuracy.  

Im not going to start this debate right now, it would be especially tacky considering the injury. So I will just say, sorry you lost your Wentz. That sucks, I know that feeling bro.

Y’all remember TO using that hyperbaric chamber to return from the broken leg? We need to get wentz one of these. ACL tears are definitely tricky. Some people don’t return to their old form while others return even better. Wentz will return better and hopefully sooner than later. Hopefully the scooter he gets doesn’t break like JP’s did that one year. 

34 minutes ago, Danger said:

If Wes Welker can come back from it with even less time I have no worries about Carson Wentz going into next season. the 9-12 months thing is from like more than a decade ago. 7-8 months is more typical these days.

I'm not overly concerned about him being ready next year. He'll probably miss all of TC and even the preseason but he'll be out there week 1. Players have torn ACL's in Week 17 or in the playoffs and have been out there week 1.

Archived