Carson Wentz Injury Update Thread (Out for season)

Danger

The 9-12 estimate seems a bit conservative. But it's Dr. Andrews so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. For a franchise QB you have a lot of time. Guys like Wes Welker get cut if you aren't being useful on the field. 

3 hours ago, Phire said:

The 9-12 estimate seems a bit conservative. But it's Dr. Andrews so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. For a franchise QB you have a lot of time. Guys like Wes Welker get cut if you aren't being useful on the field. 

And it's not like it's even that severe an ACL tear, and there's no MCL tear. James Andrews is the guy of guy on these but look at the comparative situations over the last decade.

5 hours ago, Phire said:

Since when do guys that regularly catch 100+ balls in their prime get cut over an injury?

Both Welker and AP just had abnormally quick recoveries from it.  But even for Welker, he had a good but not great season right afterward, it took him a full extra season to become the player he was before.   Same thing with Brady, which really sucks because if that's the case for Wentz than we are burning a year on his rookie contract.

ACL tears in QBs over the past decade or so...

Daunte Culpepper

• Injury: ACL, MCL & PCL tear
  • Recovery Time: 7 months (Nov 2005-May 2006)
  • Pre-Tear: 98.6 passer rating, 26 rush YPG (37 games; 2003-2005)
  • Post-Tear: 74.0 passer rating, 5 rush YPG (16 games, 2006-2008)
  • Verdict: Never the same

Carson Palmer I

• Injury: ACL & MCL tear, meniscus damage, dislocated patella
  • Recovery Time: 7.5 months (Jan 2006-Aug 2006)
  • Pre-Tear: 90.2 passer rating, 4.5 sack% (29 games; 2004 & 2005)
  • Post-Tear: 90.1 passer rating, 4.6 sack% (32 games, 2006 & 2007)
  • Verdict: No long term impact

Donovan McNabb

• Injury: ACL & meniscus tear
  • Recovery Time: 8.5 months (Nov 2006-July 2006)
  • Pre-Tear: 90.0 passer rating, 14 rush YPG (19 games; 2005 & 2006)
  • Post-Tear: 88.0 passer rating, 13 rush YPG (30 games, 2007 & 2008)

Philip Rivers

• Injury: ACL tear
  • Recovery Time: 4 months (Jan 2008-May 2008)
  • Pre-Tear: 87.2 passer rating, 5.1 sack% (32 games; 2006 & 2007)
  • Post-Tear: 105.0 passer rating, 4.9 sack% (32 games, 2008 & 2009)

Tom Brady

• Injury: ACL & MCL tear
  • Recovery Time: 9 months (Sep 2008-May 2009)
  • Pre-Tear: Tom Brady
  • Post-Tear: Tom Brady

Robert Griffin III

• Injury: LCL tear & re-torn ACL
  • Recovery Time: 8 months (Jan 2013-Sep 2013)
  • Pre-Tear: 102.4 passer rating, 54 rush YPG (15 games; 2012)
  • Post-Tear: 82.2 passer rating, 38 rush YPG (13 games, 2013)
  • Verdict: Never the same

Carson Palmer II

• Injury: Re-tore ACL
  • Recovery Time: 7 months (Nov 2014-May 2015)
  • Pre-Tear: 87.2 passer rating, 5.9 sack% (22 games; 2013 & 2014)
  • Post-Tear: 95.4 passer rating, 5.4 sack% (31 games, 2015 & 2016)

Joe Flacco

• Injury: ACL & MCL tear
  • Recovery Time: 7.5 months (Nov 2015-Aug 2016)
  • Pre-Tear: 87.6 passer rating, 3.5 sack% (26 games; 2014 & 2015)
  • Post-Tear: 81.4 passer rating, 5.0 sack% (29 games, 2016 & 2017)

I'll add some more later. More I like into ACL injury history in QBs, the more encouraged I am. 

2 hours ago, Danger said:

And it's not like it's even that severe an ACL tear, and there's no MCL tear. James Andrews is the guy of guy on these but look at the comparative situations over the last decade.

Well, no it isn't and I fully expect Wentz to be ready for TC. But here are the other issues. And you are TOTALLY fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

1. Philly had the luxury of playing some pretty awful teams this year or teams that had significant injuries and suspensions. Too that, I understand they lost Peters, Sproles, Hicks, etc. But when you are facing Osweiler, Trubitsky, the 49ers and that dreck etc, you have a very soft schedule. They ONLY beat 2 teams with winning records. I get it was who was on the schedule, but the fact remains they had a pretty soft schedule for such a good team.

2. That means next year they get everyone's best.

3. Wentz, without question morphed up his game in leaps and bounds. BUT now there is film on him and his new WR's (Jeffrey and Smith.) No doubt D.C's will be able to dissect a lot of their plays and look for tendencies, all QB's have them, and be better prepared for them.

4. Other teams in the division like Dallas may not have the distractions they had this year with all the suspension crap, JJ fighting Goodell, etc. And they have been on a rollercoaster: Great one year, suck the next, great one year, suck the next. Well, this is their suck year. Next year they will have the softer schedule and possibly NO suspensions to key players. Don't forget, Elliott to Dallas is like Wentz to Philly. They are the players that the entire offense works around. Without them, there is a considerable drop off in production and how teams plan for them. Dallas witnessed that this year. I feel Philly is about to. 

So, Wentz may be back next year stronger than ever, but he will have stiffer competition, D.C.'s that will have an entire year to plan for him and teams look for injured players and how to exploit that, sad to say. Just look at how Jordan Hicks ended Romo's career with that extra  little roll over on the shoulder when he was down.

So, Sorry to see Wentz go out like that this year but they still have a ferocious defense and a lot of weapons AND a lot to play for. Good luck in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Well, no it isn't and I fully expect Wentz to be ready for TC. But here are the other issues. And you are TOTALLY fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

1. Philly had the luxury of playing some pretty awful teams this year or teams that had significant injuries and suspensions. Too that, I understand they lost Peters, Sproles, Hicks, etc. But when you are facing Osweiler, Trubitsky, the 49ers and that dreck etc, you have a very soft schedule. They ONLY beat 2 teams with winning records. I get it was who was on the schedule, but the fact remains they had a pretty soft schedule for such a good team.

3. Wentz, without question morphed up his game in leaps and bounds. BUT now there is film on him and his new WR's (Jeffrey and Smith.) No doubt D.C's will be able to dissect a lot of their plays and look for tendencies, all QB's have them, and be better prepared for them.

4. Other teams in the division like Dallas may not have the distractions they had this year with all the suspension crap, JJ fighting Goodell, etc. And they have been on a rollercoaster: Great one year, suck the next, great one year, suck the next. Well, this is their suck year. Next year they will have the softer schedule and possibly NO suspensions to key players. Don't forget, Elliott to Dallas is like Wentz to Philly. They are the players that the entire offense works around. Without them, there is a considerable drop off in production and how teams plan for them. Dallas witnessed that this year. I feel Philly is about to. 

So, Wentz may be back next year stronger than ever, but he will have stiffer competition, D.C.'s that will have an entire year to plan for him and teams look for injured players and how to exploit that, sad to say. Just look at how Jordan Hicks ended Romo's career with that extra  little roll over on the shoulder when he was down.

So, Sorry to see Wentz go out like that this year but they still have a ferocious defense and a lot of weapons AND a lot to play for. Good luck in the playoffs.

I don't see how the "DCs will have film on him, be able to dissect him" applies to a 2nd year player w/ a 2nd year coach and OC. Did these DCs decide to just not watch any of the full 2016 footage of Wentz or Pederson/Reich offense? 

2 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Oh haven't heard this one before. Not like we didn't just go on the road and beat one of the best teams in the NFC without our starting QB in the fourth quarter.

Yeah, who knows what happens this year, but we can all be sure that this season was certainly not a fluke. Wentz played completely out of his mind this year, maybe he isn't quite as good statistically next year, but I have no doubt he will be at least good. This team is also going to be able to retain almost every key player on both sides of the football outside of Bradham at OLB.

Scheduling is a tossup. If you look at the teams we played this year and compared them to last years records, we would have had one of the hardest schedules in the NFL. The Eagles won 11 out of 13 games, losing two games on the road to good teams. Football is a weird game, anything can happen, but the Eagles aren't the Giants. The Cowboys will likely improve if they can get back to running the football and having Dak not turn it over at such a high rate. Their defense is still incredibly suspect and they don't have a ton of capital to fix it in one offseason. If they hit on draft picks maybe they can improve.

Bottom line is we don't really care about next season, cause even without Wentz we should still be the #1 seed in the NFC, while the Cowboys will be watching the playoffs from home.

The vast majority of NFL teams suck. Every team plays a ton of sucky teams. I don't know why people try to act like that's unique to the Eagles.

The Patriots play the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins six times every year. Nobody holds that against them.

Who to say next year's SOS will be so tough? Our 1st place seeding? You mean like the Cowboys/entire NCFE schedule this season based off the 2016 results? Going into the season the Eagles had one of the hardest SOS in the league on paper. Denver, Dallas x2, NYGx2, Raiders, Chiefs, Panthers, Seahawks....... But now that the bolded Sucked it's all of a sudden considered a easy schedule?

That's a argument I'll never understand? SOS is dictated by the results of the season before. With the parity in the NFL and constant change with Playoff teams year in and year out. You never can tell how a season will unfold or how difficult it might be the following year! 

Case in point expectation for the 2017 Cowboys, Giants, Broncos, Raiders and 2017 Eagles, Rams, Jaguars!

Eagles play the AFC East and NFC South. 

Got to play- Patriots, Panthers, Falcons, Saints

Get to play (cause they suck)- Bucs, Jets, Bills, Dolphins

Then the "1st Place Schedule" would be:

Vikings, Rams

to go along with the NFC East

Honestly, that schedule (as it looks now) isn't intimidating

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I don't see how the "DCs will have film on him, be able to dissect him" applies to a 2nd year player w/ a 2nd year coach and OC. Did these DCs decide to just not watch any of the full 2016 footage of Wentz or Pederson/Reich offense? 

Sure they did, but they DIDN'T have Jeffry, Smith, Ajayi, Blount , etc. And it's not just exclusive to second year players. It's EVERY year! The great QB's just figure out what the DC's are doing and retool their game. Look at Rothleisberger and Brady and heck even Brees. They make ANY WR look good because they can play to their strengths.

Now, can Wentz do this? My guess is yes. He is way above the average 2nd year player. But, it will be a process, not the cake walk he had this year.

Archived