Carson Wentz Injury Update Thread (Out for season)

Danger

1 hour ago, BLick12 said:

You keep saying this in every thread. Our defense has had like 2 or 3 bad games this season and the rams offense has been very good this year. Even still, the defense made a game changing play to force a turnover that ultimately won the game. But regardless, our defense has won us many games this season. Wentz has been great this year but it's foolish to think he's done it all himself and gotten no help. Our defense has been every bit as strong if not stronger than our offense this year.

If we can continue to run the ball and foles can make defenses at least respect a deep pass a little, we should be competitive even against playoff teams.

How can you say that when we needed Wentz throwing 40+ times and 4 TDs in 3 quarters for us to even keep pace with the Rams? If Foles had played the whole game, we'd have gotten blown out, no question. Are you banking on this being an anomaly of a performance for our defense? I would agree that if Foles can make defenses at least respect the deep pass a little AND the defense plays great, then we should be competitive, but I don't see it. Last week the excuse was (and I was guilty of this delusional thinking as well) "Oh well Russell Wilson poses such a unique problem, he's our defenses kryptonite!" Laughable. Russell Wilson has been around for years, he has been running the backyard offense ever since Lynch left. There is no excuse for not preparing for that, and if we did prepare for it, well then that just says all you need to know about our defense and the coaching. This week the excuse is that the Rams are a great offense? They're a good offense for sure, but they are NOT special and there is nothing to feel good about "holding" them to 28 pts and 6.8 YPP. That's about average for them...  but shouldn't a good defense at least slow them down? The Seahawks held the Rams to 10 pts and 5.3 YPP,  the Jaguars held them to 13 pts and 4.9 YPP, the Vikings held them to 7 points and 4.7 YPP. You look at their schedule and you see what's going on, much like our defense, their offense built its' reputation beating on poor defenses. The Saints game I don't even factor because the Saints were missing their 2 starting corners, one of which is their defensive MVP and an elite CB already in Lattimore. Even then the Saints did a better job than we did. 

So while statistics may paint them as a great offense, I'd beg to differ that they're only good, and not good enough to overcome good defenses... likewise, while numbers may paint our defense as great, I'd say they're only good, and not good enough to hold in check good offenses.

Our defense has struggled 5 times: the Chiefs, the Giants, the Chargers, the Seahawks and now the Rams. Outside of that I would agree they have been impressive, but "outside of that" includes no good offenses, or even good teams. Prior to these last few games, I could ignore those early games and chalk it up to the D coming into their own, and I don't regret doing that because I weigh what happened 1 week ago more than what happened 10 weeks ago... and that's exactly why I am very low on this defense right now, and will be until they prove otherwise. They won't really get an opportunity to prove me wrong until Dallas w/ Zeke (though they can prove me right against the Raiders and Giants, but I'll pray to God they don't). I just feel this defense has 2 giant weakpoints that have been identified and blown open in the past 2 weeks: tackling in space, and extended plays. The former doesn't need much explaining, we've missed so many tackles the past few weeks, it's evident and extremely concerning. The second I need to explain a bit since extended plays hurt any team, it just feels they especially hurt this team. Like our corners are only taught to cover for x amount of seconds, or more realistically, they are taught to trust the front 7 which allows them to play aggressive and very effective coverage early, but are left in compromising positions if that pressure didn't come/QB got away. Whether literally extended by a QB scrambling, or extended in the sense it lasted longer than anticipated because the DL didn't get pressure, it always looks like there's no contingency plan in this Schwartz defense to account for it. Maybe it would be easier and more proper to just say this defense has discipline issues, which, considering we're dealing with repeat offender Schwartz, is most likely.

Where did I suggest Wentz has gotten no help? Our offense has been very good, but not god enough to carry a team to 11-2. We reached our 10-1 mark through all units firing, and that's generally the case with any team to achieve 10-1 unless you're dealing with a particularly special group on either side. However, you take Carson out of that offense, and I genuinely think it goes from very good (~top 5) to average (if Foles plays "well"). A defense needs to be great to carry an average offense. I am confident we don't have that. That is why, to me, losing Wentz spells the end of the season even if Foles plays a game manager role to perfection (which is perhaps a big if). 

I bolded that 1 part, because if there's anything I want people to take away from and address in this long semi stream of consciousness post, it's that.

2 hours ago, MightyMouse07 said:

So this is going to affect him for training camp most likely then. Recovery time is usually 7-9 months. That is going to suck. I wonder how it will affect him mentally going forward. 

I don't think so, it might be torn but it's not a severe tear, and recovery time ain't as long as it used to be. He'll be good for pre season next year. That alone is still 8 months away. He's always been a student of the game so even if he's not necessarily getting reps he'll still be learning.

1 minute ago, Daimonas said:

tbh i think we still win with foles, We were murdering them on the ground but we just never ran until foles came in.

That's because like Andy with McNabb, DTM has a Superman complex for Wentz. Knows he can make plays out of nothing ,whine of of water so keep putting the ball in his hands. I get it! Really do. Put the ball in your best players hands as much as possible. However not when there's no need to because your gashing them on the ground with Ajayi!!

With Foles, He did what he was supposed to do with Carson. Pound the Rock. Take the ball out of your QB hands so he doesn't continually take punishment.

If Pederson doesn't turn Foles into a Game manager leaning heavy towards the run moving forward, He truly with justify the DTM nickname! Only a Moron would ask Foles to throw 50x a gm as though the Offense won't skip a beat with him at the helm either.

Unfortunately, I think that's exactly what he's going to try and Prove next week. 

Archived