Don't You Dare MOCK Us!

vike daddy

1) CHI -- Caleb Williams QB
2) ATL -- Jayden Daniels QB
3) NE  -- Marvin Harrison Jr. WR

4) MINN --  Drake Maye QB
Once Drake Maye falls past the Patriots at No. 3, the Vikings scramble to move up and get him. The Cardinals don't mind moving down and adding more picks to build out their roster, and the Vikings add a player in Maye who could prove to be their franchise QB for the next decade.

5) LAC -- Joe Alt OT
6) NYG -- Malik Nabers WR
7) TENN -- JC Latham OT
8 ) WASH -- Olumuyiwa Fashanu OT
9) PITT -- J.J. McCarthy QB
10) NYJ -- Rome Odunze WR
11) AZ  -- Nate Wiggins CB
12) DEN -- Dallas Turner EDGE

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-3-teams-trade-up-to-take-qbs-within-top-10-including-steelers-replacing-kenny-pickett/

• Like 1

11. Minnesota Vikings

J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

Look, I have been on record that there is no denying J.J. McCarthy's physical tools. He is athletic, has a big arm, and has good overall size. There's no question about his flashes because when he dials it up, it sure looks pretty. With that said, I do think it's fair to question why Michigan seemed to limit his exposure and treat him with kid gloves. This is a risk for the Vikings, but I think it's one they can afford to take.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2024/02/25/nfl-mock-draft-2024-pre-nfl-combine

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The simple fact is that running the ball comes with less risk than passing it. Michigan knew they could beat everyone by running the ball down everyone’s throats. No need to up the risk just to showcase a QB for the NFL Draft. 

I agree about the run game.  However, we have not seen what McCarthy can do when the run game is ineffective and the game and the team is on his shoulders. This is a concern for me.  The combine won't answer the questions or concerns. 

That being said, I think some team will jump ahead of the Vikings to draft McCarthy in the top 7.  If he's still there at 11...pick him.  If not, trade down, get someone like Chop Robinson and pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick.

• Like 1

Minnesota Vikings: Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama

Arnold has all the tools to be a top cornerback in the NFL and still has plenty of room to grow, given that he will be just 21 when the 2024 NFL season begins.

Targeted 79 times in coverage in 2023, he allowed just 51.9% of those to be caught and recorded a combined 18 interceptions and pass breakups.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-post-combine-2024-nfl-mock-draft-chicago-bears-caleb-williams-brock-bowers

I lost all confidence in this "post-Combine" mock when they had McCarthy falling all the way to #30 and being drafted after Bo Nix.  Apparently, they haven't paid any attention to anything that's happened over the last month.

• Like 1

11. Minnesota Vikings

Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson

At the NFL Combine, Nate Wiggins showed that he is an elite-level athlete, and that's exactly what the Vikings need in a defense that likes to blitz and play man. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2024/03/03/nfl-mock-draft-2024-post-nfl-combine

I still can't get over some of these people that continue to insist on trying to force CBs to the Vikings.  McCarthy, Verse, and Murphy on the board and they have the Vikings drafting a CB that probably should go at least 5 picks later. 

• Like 4

First-Round Pick (18th overall)
Jared Verse – EDGE (Florida State)

You may be wondering why the Vikings are selecting 18th overall, and that’s because we traded down from the 11th overall pick. While rumors have circulated that Minnesota could trade up for a quarterback in this year’s draft, they may not have enough draft capital to get a deal done, and most of the top options could be off the board if they’re still at the 11th overall pick.

If they can’t get a quarterback, they could also find several options at edge rusher, cornerback, and defensive tackle, so trading pick No. 11 to the Jacksonville Jaguars for picks No. 17, 96, and 117 makes sense.

Second-Round Pick (35th overall)
Michael Penix Jr. – QB (Washington)

If the Vikings don’t make a move or can’t find their quarterback in the first round, a trade-up early in the second round is a possibility. After sending the 42nd and 109th overall picks to the Arizona Cardinals for the 35th overall pick, the Vikings take a chance on Micael Penix Jr. with their second selection of the draft.

Penix didn’t draw as many headlines as J.J. McCarthy, but he was just as connected to the Vikings in Indianapolis this past week. A pocket passer with a big arm, Penix can make most of the throws needed in Kevin O’Connell’s offense and has a playing style similar to Kirk Cousins. Penix has an extensive injury history but scored a major win after his medicals came back clean at the combine. While Penix will carry some risk as a 24-year-old, he also could sit behind Cousins or a bridge quarterback acquired in free agency.

Third-Round Pick (96th overall)
Leonard Taylor III – DT (Miami)

The Vikings have plenty of needs outside of quarterback and edge rusher, but they need an impact player on the defensive line. Leonard Taylor III is one of the most polarizing prospects in the draft but has shown the potential to wreak havoc on the interior. Two years ago, Taylor posted a PFF grade of 87.3 and had four sacks but slumped to 74.7 and one sack with the Hurricanes last season. Some of that has to do with motivation but others point to his technique which could be improved under Flores.

Fourth-Round Pick (No. 117 overall)
D.J. James – CB (Auburn)

The Vikings could use an impact player at cornerback, but their best chance might be in free agency or early in the draft. If they wait, they’re likely to use a strength-in-numbers approach, which could point them to D.J. James.

James is small (6-foot-1, 164 pounds) and could give Minnesota fans Cameron Dantzler flashbacks. But he’s excellent in man coverage and could be a fit in Brian Flores’s scheme, either on the outside or in the slot. James will have to put on some weight and he might not be a total ideal fit. But he has enough to work with and could wind up being a rotational piece in the Vikings’ secondary.

Fourth-Round Pick (No. 130)
Trey Benson – RB (Florida State)

After the release of Alexander Mattison and Cam Akers’ pending free-agency, the Vikings could double up on Seminoles and take Trey Benson in the fourth round. Benson has speed (4.39 second time in the 40-yard dash) and power (3.53 yards after contact) to his game, but he also has issues with his patience and vision. While he’s also adequate in the passing game, he could also refine his technique to become a true threat.

Fifth-Round Pick (No. 145)
Tajh Washington – WR (USC)

Fifth-Round Pick (No. 157)
Drake Nugent – C (Michigan)

Fifth-Round Pick (No. 166)
Braiden McGregor – EDGE (Michigan)

Sixth-Round Pick (No. 179)
Jaylan Ford – LB (Texas)

Seventh-Round Pick (No. 227)
Evan Anderson – DT (Florida Atlantic)

https://thevikingage.com/posts/minnesota-vikings-draft-2024-post-scouting-combine-7-round-mock-draft/5?fbclid=IwAR37sk34ufXydt9akLeLi__Cks-4QSn2eE5sLc2FzFv--WDfDtdqYn2BZDc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

First-Round Pick (18th overall)
Jared Verse – EDGE (Florida State)

You may be wondering why the Vikings are selecting 18th overall, and that’s because we traded down from the 11th overall pick. While rumors have circulated that Minnesota could trade up for a quarterback in this year’s draft, they may not have enough draft capital to get a deal done, and most of the top options could be off the board if they’re still at the 11th overall pick.

If they can’t get a quarterback, they could also find several options at edge rusher, cornerback, and defensive tackle, so trading pick No. 11 to the Jacksonville Jaguars for picks No. 17, 96, and 117 makes sense.

Second-Round Pick (35th overall)
Michael Penix Jr. – QB (Washington)

If the Vikings don’t make a move or can’t find their quarterback in the first round, a trade-up early in the second round is a possibility. After sending the 42nd and 109th overall picks to the Arizona Cardinals for the 35th overall pick, the Vikings take a chance on Micael Penix Jr. with their second selection of the draft.

Penix didn’t draw as many headlines as J.J. McCarthy, but he was just as connected to the Vikings in Indianapolis this past week. A pocket passer with a big arm, Penix can make most of the throws needed in Kevin O’Connell’s offense and has a playing style similar to Kirk Cousins. Penix has an extensive injury history but scored a major win after his medicals came back clean at the combine. While Penix will carry some risk as a 24-year-old, he also could sit behind Cousins or a bridge quarterback acquired in free agency.

Third-Round Pick (96th overall)
Leonard Taylor III – DT (Miami)

The Vikings have plenty of needs outside of quarterback and edge rusher, but they need an impact player on the defensive line. Leonard Taylor III is one of the most polarizing prospects in the draft but has shown the potential to wreak havoc on the interior. Two years ago, Taylor posted a PFF grade of 87.3 and had four sacks but slumped to 74.7 and one sack with the Hurricanes last season. Some of that has to do with motivation but others point to his technique which could be improved under Flores.

Fourth-Round Pick (No. 117 overall)
D.J. James – CB (Auburn)

The Vikings could use an impact player at cornerback, but their best chance might be in free agency or early in the draft. If they wait, they’re likely to use a strength-in-numbers approach, which could point them to D.J. James.

James is small (6-foot-1, 164 pounds) and could give Minnesota fans Cameron Dantzler flashbacks. But he’s excellent in man coverage and could be a fit in Brian Flores’s scheme, either on the outside or in the slot. James will have to put on some weight and he might not be a total ideal fit. But he has enough to work with and could wind up being a rotational piece in the Vikings’ secondary.

Fourth-Round Pick (No. 130)
Trey Benson – RB (Florida State)

After the release of Alexander Mattison and Cam Akers’ pending free-agency, the Vikings could double up on Seminoles and take Trey Benson in the fourth round. Benson has speed (4.39 second time in the 40-yard dash) and power (3.53 yards after contact) to his game, but he also has issues with his patience and vision. While he’s also adequate in the passing game, he could also refine his technique to become a true threat.

Fifth-Round Pick (No. 145)
Tajh Washington – WR (USC)

Fifth-Round Pick (No. 157)
Drake Nugent – C (Michigan)

Fifth-Round Pick (No. 166)
Braiden McGregor – EDGE (Michigan)

Sixth-Round Pick (No. 179)
Jaylan Ford – LB (Texas)

Seventh-Round Pick (No. 227)
Evan Anderson – DT (Florida Atlantic)

https://thevikingage.com/posts/minnesota-vikings-draft-2024-post-scouting-combine-7-round-mock-draft/5?fbclid=IwAR37sk34ufXydt9akLeLi__Cks-4QSn2eE5sLc2FzFv--WDfDtdqYn2BZDc

I know edge rusher is a first round worthy choice. I have no problems picking Verse at 11. However aren't there some big powerful DT's around 11 that are also attractive to the Vikings possibly?  Everyone seems to think our 1st round pick will be a QB,or an Edge rusher, or CB.  I don't think CB is a first round issue.  QB is likely to be moot if we don't trade up...which I am not in favor of unless Daniels or Maye are available outside the top 3 (I don't see a realistic path for the Vikings moving into the top 3 positions). 

Edge is a concern, especially if Hunter departs. But, I would think having a good to great disruptor coming up from the middle flushing the QB out of the pocket or stuffing the run would be of great help to Flores defense. I don't know if we will get the chance in FA. If we don't get a chance, would you say DT would at least be equal to Edge as a high value need?

I know that I am a big proponent of trusting the front office since they are the ones getting paid to do this. But if they take a cornerback in the first round, I might be in need of a new television.

• Like 7

11. Minnesota Vikings

J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

We obviously don't know if free agent Kirk Cousins will return to Minnesota, but McCarthy fits coach Kevin O'Connell's scheme so well. Yes, the passing sample size is limited -- he only hit 25 or more passing attempts in 12 of 28 career starts -- and his combine workout was inconsistent, but his efficiency at Michigan is noteworthy (72.3% completion rate). The infrastructure in Minnesota -- with Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison and T.J. Hockenson catching passes -- is set up well for a young signal-caller to grow, too.

42. Minnesota Vikings

Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has leaned on explosiveness in defensive prospects since taking over as Minnesota's GM. Jenkins has those traits -- he posted a 30-inch vertical at 299 pounds -- and the Vikings' defensive line could be headed for some turnover.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39637717/2024-nfl-mock-draft-predictions-two-rounds-64-picks-jordan-reid-combine

This is why I love Jordan Reid.  😉

• Like 3

7. Minnesota Vikings (from TEN)*: J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

Projected trade: Vikings send No. 11, No. 109 and a 2025 second-rounder to the Titans for No. 7

Bringing back Cousins and drafting McCarthy is the ideal outcome for the Vikings, as that would bridge the short-term with the long-term at the roster’s most important position. But with Denver, Las Vegas, New Orleans and maybe a few other teams potentially in the McCarthy market, it might require a trade up for Minnesota to nab the Michigan quarterback.

https://theathletic.com/5314966/2024/03/05/nfl-mock-draft-2024-jayden-daniels-quarterbacks/?access_token=595014

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Projected trade: Vikings send No. 11, No. 109 and a 2025 second-rounder to the Titans for No. 7

i'd be surprised if TENN took those trade terms. i don't think i would if i was their GM.

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'd be surprised if TENN took those trade terms. i don't think i would if i was their GM.

According to most trade charts, that's probably reasonable value to only move up 4 spots. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1