Mike Mularkey is Jeff Fisher 2.0

RuskieTitan

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I mean this goes both ways.... All I’ve heard before this game and all year is because the Titans have a winning record that everything is peachy and nothing is wrong. The record isn’t the issue. The way the offense is playing is the issue. Firing the OC does nothing. Not sure what that solves. Basically just a scapegoat for an idiot HC. This is the NFL and no I don’t expect this team to blowout every team or even every bad team. However, I do expect the offense to put up more than 7 points against Arizona, 12 against the worst team in football, etc. especially when the head coach has an offensive background.

I don't think this is accurate.
You have one side trying to prove a point and you have another.  I think it's been pretty clear from those who are happy about the winning record that we aren't thrilled with the way the team has played. I don't think people have been celebrating INTs, bad calls and just overall bad play. What I specifically have celebrated is a winning record, having significant games in December, and a chance at the playoffs.  If I was in a coma and the first thing I asked is what are the Titans doing? And you tell me..
They are 8-5, a game back from the division lead, top 10 defense (overall), and hold the top Wild Card spot with 3 games to go.  I'd be like YESSSS!  Now when you showed me the games, told me Mariota has more INTs that TDs, and the offense as a whole has been bad.... then I'd be like "dang, but we still can make the playoffs right?"

You specifically have legit concerns and gripes with the team. I would think there are some things you like about the team and part of you has to be somewhat happy about the chance of the playoffs, otherwise you wouldn't be here. So where is the big difference?  You being more vocal about the things you hate vs what you like. I think that is where it lays.  I like to look at what went right and try to build off it. You on the other hand might look at what went wrong to eliminate it.

"You just ok with being an average/mediocre team, with a losing mentality."  What I often hear.  At some point you have to stick with someone and ride through tough times.  There is only one team that pretty much has found the secret to winning in the NFL. The other 31 teams go through ups and downs. That is the norm. It's not normal to have 15 straight seasons of winning 11 games or more. lol  It's just not.

This year the team hasn't played well.  But Murlakey is 17-11 as a full time head coach of the Titans over 2 years.
Other coaches in their first two years with a team:
Mike Tomlin 22-10
Mike Zimmer- 18-14
Bill Belichick- 16-16 (Patriots)
Jeff Fisher 15- 17
Mike McCarthy 21-12
Andy Reid- 20-12 (Chiefs)
Sean Payton- 17-15
Pete Carroll 14-18 (Seahawks)
Mike Murlakey 17-12 (3 games left)

Mike Murlakey has a better start  than
Super Bowl winning, Pete Carroll, Sean Payton and Bill Belichick
My lord! :) I bet those teams sure are glad to have stuck through those horrible times.

Is he Jeff Fisher 2.0?  Maybe. I would need more than 2 season to make that declaration. 

38 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

"You just ok with being an average/mediocre team, with a losing mentality."  What I often hear.  At some point you have to stick with someone and ride through tough times.  There is only one team that pretty much has found the secret to winning in the NFL. The other 31 teams go through ups and downs. That is the norm. It's not normal to have 15 straight seasons of winning 11 games or more. lol  It's just not.

are you trying to say that we've had anything even vaguely approaching "ups"

Just now, -Hope- said:

are you trying to say that we've had anything even vaguely approaching "ups"

Yes. I'm talking about franchise as a whole.  But I'm sure you don't consider it as ups.  So I guess the answer you'd want me to say is no and we should fire Murlakey to get a new HC. You may think the problem is deeper than the HC, so maybe...restart everything?  Ownership, scouts, GM, trainers, QB?  How far do you think the blame goes?

Have we have sustain success, no. Not many teams have.

The last couple hiring cycles, people wanted Mike Zimmer, Josh McDainels, Chip Kelly and Hue Jackson.  Those were the names people screamed the most. Mike Murlakey has a record on par with Zimmer and has a better one than Jackson and fired Kelly. 
Josh is a TBD on how he'd do. He is the unknown thing people are screaming for now.

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Yes. I'm talking about franchise as a whole.  But I'm sure you don't consider it as ups.  So I guess the answer you'd want me to say is no and we should fire Murlakey to get a new HC. You may think the problem is deeper than the HC, so maybe...restart everything?  Ownership, scouts, GM, trainers, QB?  How far do you think the blame goes?

Have we have sustain success, no. Not many teams have.

The last couple hiring cycles, people wanted Mike Zimmer, Josh McDainels, Chip Kelly and Hue Jackson.  Those were the names people screamed the most. Mike Murlakey has a record on par with Zimmer and has a better one than Jackson and fired Kelly. 
Josh is a TBD on how he'd do. He is the unknown thing people are screaming for now.

if you consider almost getting to the playoffs an up, then we're not even operating on the same plane of reality and i don't even know what to say to you

4 hours ago, -Hope- said:

if you consider almost getting to the playoffs an up, then we're not even operating on the same plane of reality and i don't even know what to say to you

You don't have to say anything to me, honestly.  :)

Question I ask is how far do you think the blame goes?  What are you suggesting happen? 
Owner sell the team? Fire all the scouts? Replace the GM? Cut Mariota and find a new QB?
What are you suggesting? You allude to not being happy with the team or what they have done overall since they have come into existence. What realistically do you think can happen that would make you happy about this team for years to come?

What is success to you? What team is a model of success to you, that you think this team could get too? 
Is it the record breaking, history making, once in a lifetime run the Patriots are on? Is that a level you think that is easily attainable?
Is it the Steelers? A team we have bent over backwards trying to emulate and hired pretty much all their leftover coaches?
Maybe it's the Packers? Who happened to draft 2 HOF QB's, you know that is so very common. We just haven't tried to do that all have we.
Maybe it's the Saints. Who hired a former OC and only won 17 games his firs two seasons. We definitely shouldn't do that. That'd be stupid.

So you can either attempt to answer those questions and have a discussion or let me and Dr. Strange operate in our realms of reality where I'm sipping out of my Titans Pimp Cup wearing Two-Tone Blue Glasses to see the world peacefully.

The comparison to Fisher from Mularkey's first two stints doesn't really work. He wasn't loved in Buffalo and Jacksonville. Guy was a hard *** at both stops. Overly strict. It was covered well by Paul Kuharsky when we announced we'd hired him full time, how he'd changed his personality and ways of dealing with players.

Mularkey isn't going anywhere. Robiskie will be replaced or demoted in the off-season(hell if this keeps up we might see a change in-season). We'll see how it goes from there.

20 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I don't think this is accurate.
You have one side trying to prove a point and you have another.  I think it's been pretty clear from those who are happy about the winning record that we aren't thrilled with the way the team has played. I don't think people have been celebrating INTs, bad calls and just overall bad play. What I specifically have celebrated is a winning record, having significant games in December, and a chance at the playoffs.  If I was in a coma and the first thing I asked is what are the Titans doing? And you tell me..
They are 8-5, a game back from the division lead, top 10 defense (overall), and hold the top Wild Card spot with 3 games to go.  I'd be like YESSSS!  Now when you showed me the games, told me Mariota has more INTs that TDs, and the offense as a whole has been bad.... then I'd be like "dang, but we still can make the playoffs right?"

You specifically have legit concerns and gripes with the team. I would think there are some things you like about the team and part of you has to be somewhat happy about the chance of the playoffs, otherwise you wouldn't be here. So where is the big difference?  You being more vocal about the things you hate vs what you like. I think that is where it lays.  I like to look at what went right and try to build off it. You on the other hand might look at what went wrong to eliminate it.

This year the team hasn't played well.  But Murlakey is 17-11 as a full time head coach of the Titans over 2 years.
Other coaches in their first two years with a team:
Mike Tomlin 22-10
Mike Zimmer- 18-14
Bill Belichick- 16-16 (Patriots)
Jeff Fisher 15- 17
Mike McCarthy 21-12
Andy Reid- 20-12 (Chiefs)
Sean Payton- 17-15
Pete Carroll 14-18 (Seahawks)
Mike Murlakey 17-12 (3 games left)

Mike Murlakey has a better start  than
Super Bowl winning, Pete Carroll, Sean Payton and Bill Belichick
My lord! :) I bet those teams sure are glad to have stuck through those horrible times.

Is he Jeff Fisher 2.0?  Maybe. I would need more than 2 season to make that declaration. 

Don’t ever put mularkey in the sentence wit these coaches, they all have the 1 thing mularkey doesn’t & that’s a brain. He simply can not coach period. I’m so sick of us cutting him a break based on our record, but tell the truth we’re losing bigger than the record when our QB is struggling because the coach doesn’t have the brain to run an offense. I don’t care if we won the super bowl I would fire him just like Jerry jones did jimmy Johnson, who could actually coach. Just how John elway cut tim Tebow after they made the playoffs, because he wanted to win & he knew a real QB could take them beyond the 1st round. Cut bait wit this clown get a HC that can develop Marcus, because next yr won’t be as easy as this year in the AFC South

49 minutes ago, VYoung10 said:

Not going to lie, but I know why Mariota is struggling this year.  He wants to give the team the best team friendly deal he can.  So, if he shows signs of struggles, we can get him cheap.  His agent won't have the bargaining room.  

Such a team player. That's my QB.

And Mularkey's not getting rid of Robiskie after the season, is he?

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

Such a team player. That's my QB.

And Mularkey's not getting rid of Robiskie after the season, is he?

If Mularkey actually balks at getting rid of Robiskie at the end of the year he HAS to go. The more quotes that come out from Mularkey about the offensive woes the more I think he's just completely delusional. I remember getting to this point with Whisenhunt where it was like "Wow this guy seriously has no clue what he's doing." Whisenhunt believed his system was bulletproof even when it clearly wasn't working. Mularkey is starting to head down that road. 

33 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

If Mularkey actually balks at getting rid of Robiskie at the end of the year he HAS to go. The more quotes that come out from Mularkey about the offensive woes the more I think he's just completely delusional. I remember getting to this point with Whisenhunt where it was like "Wow this guy seriously has no clue what he's doing." Whisenhunt believed his system was bulletproof even when it clearly wasn't working. Mularkey is starting to head down that road. 

Him mentioning how our offensive woes are still "very fixable" this late in the season, was alarming to me. That's been said the entire season and we're still struggling mightily. It's like you said, it feels like he's being stuborn in regards to our offense.

Also found it interesting that we saw Marcus visably angry and frustrated for the first time regarding, not just his play, but the offense in general.

Mariota is a square peg in a round hole. I don't care what anyone says, that is one of the main problems with the offense this year. He is, and has always been, a rhythm player. 3 and 4 wide sets, fast paced offense, short to intermediate passes, that is where he would thrive. He played so well last season because our running game was literally dominant, and frankly, it's a lot easier for just about any QB to milk off of that. He is a good player, but I fear this coaching staff is going to ruin him, or at least the early portion of his career. If we are too stupid to put a proper system around him as coaches, or the proper coaches around him as an organization, I hope he goes elsewhere after his rookie deal and absolutely tears it up. Would serve every ounce of this organization right. 

And that's not to say Mariota has played well. He has largely been hot garbage this year. However, I think it's a combination of two things. 1) Not having a real offseason, and 2) Playing in a system that simply does not fit his skill set physically or mentally as a football player.      

As for our coaching situation, Mike Mularkey will never win anything of significance here. 90% of us knew that when he was hired and it holds true today. However, AAS likes the guy, and it will probably take a really bad season (think 4-12 or 5-11) before anything happens. Personally, I feel it's inevitable, whether it's next season or the year after. When the players stop buying in, it's going to be ugly. We will have a terrible season, but that's likely what it will take before Mularkey gets canned. The only hope he has of achieving any semblance of long term success here is to fire his "buddy" (and that's EXACTLY what that hire was), hiring a competent OC who is good with QBs, and giving him full control of the offense. 

I'm not holding my breath... Personally, Mularkey strikes me as a guy who is scared he might potentially hire his own replacement. I've often wondered if that's one of the main reasons we ended up with Robiskie in the first place. Pure speculation on my part.     

8 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Don’t ever put mularkey in the sentence wit these coaches, they all have the 1 thing mularkey doesn’t & that’s a brain. He simply can not coach period. I’m so sick of us cutting him a break based on our record, but tell the truth we’re losing bigger than the record when our QB is struggling because the coach doesn’t have the brain to run an offense. I don’t care if we won the super bowl I would fire him just like Jerry jones did jimmy Johnson, who could actually coach. Just how John elway cut tim Tebow after they made the playoffs, because he wanted to win & he knew a real QB could take them beyond the 1st round. Cut bait wit this clown get a HC that can develop Marcus, because next yr won’t be as easy as this year in the AFC South

I remember during the Vince days it all about his record. 

"he is a winner!" 

And I'll be honest. I don't care if Marcus goes down as the worst QB ever to live and never progresses past what he is now. If find ways to stack up wins with him and Murlarkey. If the world goes crazy and he actually leads us to playoffs consistently and a super bowl, I'm ok.

I understand your point but if we continue to win ( we are winning currently) and say we consistently go 10-6 or 11-5 with playoff runs and super bowl shots  then I'm good.

But being it's only year 2, I'm not ready to pull the plug on the hc and QB. Changes and adjustments are needed. But not a total overhaul of the team and staff  quite yet. 

If the year ends and we don't make playoffs, then I'll be more on board. 

One of the most annoying things about Mularkey for me (the list is growing daily) is the fact that he always blames the players' execution when a play failed in a key situation or the offense just falters in general. I've never heard him take responsibility for the fact that the offense is struggling. It's always the receivers aren't running well enough or the backs aren't running well enough. Which has been true at times, but Mularkey and the offensive staff deserve just as much blame for the offense faltering as the players do. It goes both ways.  On a team where being accountable is supposed to be one of the buzz words for the entire team culture, our coaching staff doesn't seem to be holding their end of the bargain in that regard. A good instance of this is Mularkey not even entertaining the fact that they might have called a bad play on the 4th and 10 to Adoree. Mularkey thinks a play like that puts the team in the optimum position to succeed if the players just execute the way that they're supposed to? I find that hard to believe. As a coach your job is to put your players in the best positions to succeed. Even though there are definitely times where the players are at fault for execution, the overall output of our offense this year would say that the coaching staff hasn't been putting our players in the best spots to succeed. I doubt we'll ever hear Mularkey admit to that though. It's becoming a worrisome trend that under this staff that it's a one way street where no matter how limited a playcall/formation is in a given situation, the players are always at fault for it failing.

Archived