Mike Mularkey is Jeff Fisher 2.0

RuskieTitan

For anyone to think that Mularkey would go out and get a new coordinator to run an up to date 2018 system is just crazy. This is the same guy who will not leave Henry in if he is the hot hand, literally uses our slowest receiver on the team for all of our deep routes, and runs more super tight formations...clogging up any possible scramble lane and passing lane than any other team in the league. His mentallity is not changing....and as many have said we will stick it out until any possibility of developing Marcus is gone...he is not made to stand in the pocket and take shots while trying to deliver the ball 30 yards down field.

17 minutes ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

For anyone to think that Mularkey would go out and get a new coordinator to run an up to date 2018 system is just crazy. This is the same guy who will not leave Henry in if he is the hot hand, literally uses our slowest receiver on the team for all of our deep routes, and runs more super tight formations...clogging up any possible scramble lane and passing lane than any other team in the league. His mentallity is not changing....and as many have said we will stick it out until any possibility of developing Marcus is gone...he is not made to stand in the pocket and take shots while trying to deliver the ball 30 yards down field.

Then if Mularkey doesn't make some sort of attempt to conform or at least modify his offense, then he's basically writing his own resignation.  Like I said before, Robinson didn't get these new weapons for Mariota only to have them go to waste being underutilized in this outdated lackluster scheme.  Physical ground 'n' pound football is fine, but you can't be totally one dimensional in the process.  Marcus, Derrick, Corey, Taywan, and Jonnu are the future core of this team and it's time for Mularkey to create ways to start implementing their talents as we go.

I have loved the TItans watched the Titans and have experience just about every emotion when it comes to this team. Except one I have never found the Titans boring maybe during a game or two across the years but not for a substantial amount of time.

This year Titans are boring even when they lost against the Patriots 59-0 or whatever it was it was exciting to watch because of players like Chris Johnson. You just never knew when he would take one of those runs to the house. 

I feel like a traitor even thinking they are boring but I don't know how else to describe it. I'm not watching full games and i'm not participating in football talk with friends or family. I love that the Titans have been wining close games but I like to be entertained I want to watch the excitement and there aren't any there. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I remember during the Vince days it all about his record. 

"he is a winner!" 

And I'll be honest. I don't care if Marcus goes down as the worst QB ever to live and never progresses past what he is now. If find ways to stack up wins with him and Murlarkey. If the world goes crazy and he actually leads us to playoffs consistently and a super bowl, I'm ok.

I understand your point but if we continue to win ( we are winning currently) and say we consistently go 10-6 or 11-5 with playoff runs and super bowl shots  then I'm good.

But being it's only year 2, I'm not ready to pull the plug on the hc and QB. Changes and adjustments are needed. But not a total overhaul of the team and staff  quite yet. 

If the year ends and we don't make playoffs, then I'll be more on board. 

Exactly that’s why I want him gone he’s a Jeff Fisher, we didn’t win jack wit fisher & was sub 500. I think our division can be our for the taken if we get a coach that can elevate Marcus to the next level. Tony Dungy wasn’t that great of a coach he had Peyton that made his job easier, yet they dominated the afc South. I’ve seen this before mularkey is a poor mans fisher 

None of us "negative" posters are celebrating our losses. We are not upset when we win. We're upset because when you see the bigger picture that the best we can ever hope for as a team with Mularkey at head coach is a first round playoff loss. You can never hope for us to win the games we should win based on talent due to a horrible coach and offensive scheme. I have more aspirations for my team. I want to have an offense catered to my superstar QB. I want to have a shot to compete with the better teams in the league.

Forgive me for being negative when I'm reminded every Sunday that we will never play up to our potential with this assclown as head coach. Mularkey did an amazing job last year, but he hit his ceiling in one year. 

Barely scraping by against poor teams isn't enough for me to forget all of that. I realize we beat the Seahawks when they were playing their worst football in 5 years, Blake Bortles, and the Ravens, but none of that makes up for the 10 other games we've played this year, even ig we won half od them looking like dog****.

On 12/11/2017 at 12:41 PM, KingTitan said:

I don't think this is accurate.
You have one side trying to prove a point and you have another.  I think it's been pretty clear from those who are happy about the winning record that we aren't thrilled with the way the team has played. I don't think people have been celebrating INTs, bad calls and just overall bad play. What I specifically have celebrated is a winning record, having significant games in December, and a chance at the playoffs.  If I was in a coma and the first thing I asked is what are the Titans doing? And you tell me..
They are 8-5, a game back from the division lead, top 10 defense (overall), and hold the top Wild Card spot with 3 games to go.  I'd be like YESSSS!  Now when you showed me the games, told me Mariota has more INTs that TDs, and the offense as a whole has been bad.... then I'd be like "dang, but we still can make the playoffs right?"

You specifically have legit concerns and gripes with the team. I would think there are some things you like about the team and part of you has to be somewhat happy about the chance of the playoffs, otherwise you wouldn't be here. So where is the big difference?  You being more vocal about the things you hate vs what you like. I think that is where it lays.  I like to look at what went right and try to build off it. You on the other hand might look at what went wrong to eliminate it.

"You just ok with being an average/mediocre team, with a losing mentality."  What I often hear.  At some point you have to stick with someone and ride through tough times.  There is only one team that pretty much has found the secret to winning in the NFL. The other 31 teams go through ups and downs. That is the norm. It's not normal to have 15 straight seasons of winning 11 games or more. lol  It's just not.

This year the team hasn't played well.  But Murlakey is 17-11 as a full time head coach of the Titans over 2 years.
Other coaches in their first two years with a team:
Mike Tomlin 22-10
Mike Zimmer- 18-14
Bill Belichick- 16-16 (Patriots)
Jeff Fisher 15- 17
Mike McCarthy 21-12
Andy Reid- 20-12 (Chiefs)
Sean Payton- 17-15
Pete Carroll 14-18 (Seahawks)
Mike Murlakey 17-12 (3 games left)

Mike Murlakey has a better start  than
Super Bowl winning, Pete Carroll, Sean Payton and Bill Belichick
My lord! :) I bet those teams sure are glad to have stuck through those horrible times.

Is he Jeff Fisher 2.0?  Maybe. I would need more than 2 season to make that declaration. 

Well, lucky for you, you already have more than 2 seasons to draw from.

Mike Mularkey was 14-18 in his first two seasons as a HC. 

Also, in his first 32 games with the Titans he was 15-17. 

Oh, and he's 35-51 overall. Sorry bud, there's just not enough lipstick for this pig. 

Mularkey isn't Jeff Fisher 2.0. He's Mike Mularkey 1.0. :) 

24 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

Well, lucky for you, you already have more than 2 seasons to draw from.

Mike Mularkey was 14-18 in his first two seasons as a HC. 

Also, in his first 32 games with the Titans he was 15-17. 

Oh, and he's 35-51 overall. Sorry bud, there's just not enough lipstick for this pig. 

Mularkey isn't Jeff Fisher 2.0. He's Mike Mularkey 1.0. :) 

Lucky for you there is a big Cannon Size tube of Lipstick to slap on it. :)

I specifically said first season with the team because that's pretty much all that matters to me.  I don't care what he did before and won't care what he does after (when that time comes..lol) Numerous coached have coached 3 seasons and had mediocre success or failed and done better again.

Funny people want to scream for Josh McDainels. McDainels! McDainels! McDainels!  But are willing to ignore what happened in Denver.
"Oh he has learned." "He matured."  "Nobody could have succeeded there."
But for Murlakey nobody wants to truly examine what he ran into at Jacksonville for one year or the two years in Buffalo. One which he had a winning record 1st season. Which by the way he didn't get fired from he resigned, because the team was trying to force JP Lossman down his throat the 2nd year and they lost.  But hey yeah. He sucked. Took a team that was 30th in offense and made them 7th overall with an aging QB Drew Bledsoe.  Team drafted Lossman, made him play and went from 7th to 24th
Murlakey wanted to start Kelly Holcomb who was 4-4 as a starter. But team wanted Lossman who went 1-7.

I don't feel like going over it again, but in the old forum, I detailed coaches that were on their 3rd stop or had losing records at a previous job before winning at the new job. There are reasons for the losing record, valid reasons that won't ever be good enough for a person that is dead set on hating him as a coach. So no need to go with there I guess.

Anything short of winning 4 super bowls won't get people to like him and I understand. It is easier if people just say I don't like and won't ever like him, nothing he ever does will ever make me like him.
I get it. The hiring process sucks. But he has proved to be one of the top choices of that hiring cycle.  The other coaches are losing and or fired/bout to be fired. 
I get it also that it's not like he turned a team into the greatest show on turf.  I get it. we aren't lighting it up right now either.
My point is that he isn't the dumpster fire people want to make him to be. He is an average NFL coach that needs things right to be successful. Like about 28-30 other coaches in the league currently.

I think if people really look into the league and the coaches and franchises, you will see NFL Coaches aren't these magical wizards. 98% of them are a product of their roster, specifically their QB.
You get rid of Mularkey.....I'm pretty sure it will be another coach that will majority of the forum will find something wrong about him and or hate him.

41 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Lucky for you there is a big Cannon Size tube of Lipstick to slap on it. :)

I specifically said first season with the team because that's pretty much all that matters to me.  I don't care what he did before and won't care what he does after (when that time comes..lol) Numerous coached have coached 3 seasons and had mediocre success or failed and done better again.

Funny people want to scream for Josh McDainels. McDainels! McDainels! McDainels!  But are willing to ignore what happened in Denver.
"Oh he has learned." "He matured."  "Nobody could have succeeded there."
But for Murlakey nobody wants to truly examine what he ran into at Jacksonville for one year or the two years in Buffalo. One which he had a winning record 1st season. Which by the way he didn't get fired from he resigned, because the team was trying to force JP Lossman down his throat the 2nd year and they lost.  But hey yeah. He sucked. Took a team that was 30th in offense and made them 7th overall with an aging QB Drew Bledsoe.  Team drafted Lossman, made him play and went from 7th to 24th
Murlakey wanted to start Kelly Holcomb who was 4-4 as a starter. But team wanted Lossman who went 1-7.

I don't feel like going over it again, but in the old forum, I detailed coaches that were on their 3rd stop or had losing records at a previous job before winning at the new job. There are reasons for the losing record, valid reasons that won't ever be good enough for a person that is dead set on hating him as a coach. So no need to go with there I guess.

Anything short of winning 4 super bowls won't get people to like him and I understand. It is easier if people just say I don't like and won't ever like him, nothing he ever does will ever make me like him.
I get it. The hiring process sucks. But he has proved to be one of the top choices of that hiring cycle.  The other coaches are losing and or fired/bout to be fired. 
I get it also that it's not like he turned a team into the greatest show on turf.  I get it. we aren't lighting it up right now either.
My point is that he isn't the dumpster fire people want to make him to be. He is an average NFL coach that needs things right to be successful. Like about 28-30 other coaches in the league currently.

I think if people really look into the league and the coaches and franchises, you will see NFL Coaches aren't these magical wizards. 98% of them are a product of their roster, specifically their QB.
You get rid of Mularkey.....I'm pretty sure it will be another coach that will majority of the forum will find something wrong about him and or hate him.

Let go of mularkey you just been suffering from losing so many years as a titans fan that you’ll accept fools gold if it gets by.

only credit I’ll give mularkey is this he’s installed discipline & gave our team an identity. But this the same thing I was telling you last year when we were going back & forth arguing bout the offense. Last yr we were putting up points & we were movin the ball, but remember I would always tell you after you through the stats in my face, we’re still 1 dimensional & if you can stop the run you got us beat. Mularkey can’t adjust he’s proving that. He’s just like fisher he only knows 1 way to win & that’s grind it out run it down your throat football. I told you last yr once defensive coordinators get a year worth of film on you & it’s gets harder the next yr, for ex the year after VY rookie season.

Josh McDaniels had 2 years as a HC, & he was 11-17 oh okay. Wow the fact is he was in over his head with power & made bad roster decisions. But we have Robinson running the show. The fact about josh is this he knows how to game plan against a defense. He doesn’t sit-up looking dumbfounded trying to fit a square in a triangle. He attacks a defense & make them adjust vs what we get out of mularkey, which is let a defense dictate us. Our offense is basically a prevent middle school offense. I bet opponents don’t even watch film on us. DC stay in your gaps control the line of scrimmage ends hold outside containment their guards weak as sh*+ force Marcus to step in the pocket, their wr gone run 2 routes & they’re gone max protect.. 

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Let go of mularkey you just been suffering from losing so many years as a titans fan that you’ll accept fools gold if it gets by.

only credit I’ll give mularkey is this he’s installed discipline & gave our team an identity. But this the same thing I was telling you last year when we were going back & forth arguing bout the offense. Last yr we were putting up points & we were movin the ball, but remember I would always tell you after you through the stats in my face, we’re still 1 dimensional & if you can stop the run you got us beat. Mularkey can’t adjust he’s proving that. He’s just like fisher he only knows 1 way to win & that’s grind it out run it down your throat football. I told you last yr once defensive coordinators get a year worth of film on you & it’s gets harder the next yr, for ex the year after VY rookie season.

Yes I have suffered from losing. Now that we have two back to back non-losing record seasons, people are ready to throw the guy that helped bring that out the door. After 2 seasons none the less. :) lol

I could better understand or relate if we have been 9-7 or 8-8 for 4 straight years.  We are set to improve on the record we had last year and make the playoffs for the first time since 2008.
I'm just not on board yet. And maybe guys will find a lot of joy in saying "I told you so." And maybe that is why they rooting for him to fail.

You have your thoughts, I have mine. If they fire him, you won't see me crying any tears. I just don't see it happening.

2 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Josh McDaniels had 2 years as a HC, & he was 11-17 oh okay. Wow the fact is he was in over his head with power & made bad roster decisions. But we have Robinson running the show. The fact about josh is this he knows how to game plan against a defense. He doesn’t sit-up looking dumbfounded trying to fit a square in a triangle. He attacks a defense & make them adjust vs what we get out of mularkey, which is let a defense dictate us. Our offense is basically a prevent middle school offense. I bet opponents don’t even watch film on us. DC stay in your gaps control the line of scrimmage ends hold outside containment their guards weak as sh*+ force Marcus to step in the pocket, their wr gone run 2 routes & they’re gone max protect.. 

Once again though, you are willing to overlook on person's faults and assume for the better. People just knew Hue Jackson was going to kill it with the Browns.  Chip Kelly is about to set the league on fire!
Bill O'Brien is about to have Houston become the offensive juggernaut they always should have been.
RG3 will be a cornerstone of the team for the next 10 years.
Raiders are Super Bowl Contenders
AFC south  is Houston's and Indy's to lose.
Vince Young is going to become an All-Pro after leaving Fisher. (Yea I went back..lol)

Assumption after assumption. You are stating things you know not to be true as fact and absolute. That's just not true. Teams don't prepare for us? They don't watch film?

You won't find me defending the offense we are running. I'm not. I don't like it. However, like stated before. We have a winning record. We are set up to make the playoffs this year. We are going to have back to back non-losing record seasons. Set up to have back to back winning record seasons.  It is his second year at the helm. We haven't made the playoffs since 2008. But at the first sniff of us accomplishing these things, people want to get rid of the whole thing because we not winning the way they want us too. I just struggle to understand that. Again if this was year 4. I would even give you year 3. If this was the same thing next year....we are struggling and we are 8-8 or end up 9-7 and no playoffs. Then yes....he can't get us over the hump.

People are assuming he can't do it before we even get to the hump..lol  People are assuming based off past experiences, where people are willing to ignore the past of others with just as flawed backgrounds. lol

That is my struggle. They don't want to bring in Bill Cowher or John Harbaugh. They want another flawed guy, simply because he MIGHT win prettier than we are now.

This is going to be a long post. I'm just rambling a bit lol....

Here's the dilemma regarding Mularkey. He's going into next year as a lame duck coach(final year of his contract).

So, say he gets rid of Robiskie after this season. What (top) OC is going to want to join a coach who's may not even be here after the season? So that leaves us promoting within and making Jason Michael as OC. I'm, personally, not as high on Michael as our OC as some may be. If we were to promote Michael, I don't think our offense will change that much from what it is now(will just be a reflection of Mularkey's offense). That would be setting up another disaster of a season offensively, next year.

So, we could solve some of these concerns by giving Mularkey an extension. Honestly though, (even with the respectable record he's provided the past two seasons) who here would be comfortable doing that?

At the end of the day, I want the coach who will get the most out of Mariota (because not only do I feel he's our franchise QB, I think we'll only go as far as he'll take us). What Mularkey has provided has had its benefits (better protection for Marcus, better run game, ect.) but I honestly feel we're not going to let Marcus reach his fullest potential under this offensive system. Mularkey has always had a bit of an old school mentality when it comes to his offense, while we have the ideal model of the new school QB. Just doesn't mesh well imo. To use an NBA analogy, it'd be like telling Joel Embiid to be strictly a back to the basket center in the mold of those in the 80s/90s. Sure he can do it, but you're putting an extreme cap on him reaching his full potential. Even if we get rid of Robiskie, I'm not certain that Mularkey would get a guy to take full control of the offense and run it how they see fit. I think it'll still be a reflection of Mularkey's offense

I do want to say that I'm truly grateful that Mularkey has put this team in places and positions we haven't been in in close to a decade. But, I'd rather get rid of him early(and maybe prematurely), to savage Mariota and our offensive players, than to hang on to him too late and ruin the closest thing we've had to a franchise QB in years.

54 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

McDaniels is trash. He’s failed anywhere outside of NE.

How is McDaniel trash, when he’s only failed at Denver, oh but he still tailored their offense to fit Tebow. Okay the Rams I believe he was OC for Steve spagnulo & Sam Bradford got hurt that yr. but fact is he is 1 of the best OC in football yea you can say he benefits from Brady but he calls the plays for Brady & Brady said he’s the best OC he’s ever had, because he knows how to attack defense weakness. Oh let’s not forget how he help Matt Cassel once look like a franchise QB when Brady tore his ACL ?.. . You guys stuck on the broncos job & I get that but if it helps the greatest football coach was fired by the browns & was very subpar. The reason I’m fed up wit mularkey is because he can’t adjust & his offense makes no sense.. give me Mc Daniels & DC like Chuck Pagano once he’s fired or Rex Ryan & let JRob handle the front office ??

Archived