Mike Mularkey is Jeff Fisher 2.0

RuskieTitan

@ragevsuall17 we are literally in coaching purgatory. It's part of the reason I was so against his hire in the first place 

we had the golden ticket in Mariota. The hard part was over. And we decided that the HC to pair with the franchise Qb and take him to new heights is...mike Mularkey 

but again. This is what happens when you have a meddling owner. And one that doesn't know crap about football to boot

I've been doing a little bit of thinking over the past few days along with some research on potential candidates for OC, and I think I could live with keeping Mularkey if it meant we were able to get Tom Clements as our OC and let him run the offense that he wants to run. I've been skeptical of this actually happening, because whoever we hire is still going to be running "Mularkey's system." However, after doing a little bit of digging, I think hiring Tom Clements would be a special case. Here's my thinking...

Tom Clements left Green Bay last year on his own terms to "pursue other interests." So it would seem that if Clements is ever going to come back to coaching it would be on his terms, and he would have all the leverage in negotiations with joining another staff. I feel like the only way Clements would come here or anywhere for that matter is if the head coach let him run the offense that he wanted to run. He spent years handcuffed by McCarthy in GB, and I'd imagine that played a role in him walking away when he did. So, if Mularkey wants Clements there would have to be a lot of bend there on Mularkey's part. First of all, he'd probably have to make Clements the assistant HC which would probably be fine, because how much longer are we really expecting LeBeau to coach? Then he'd have to give Clements complete control of the offense including the hiring of offensive staff. So, Clements could get "his guys" on the offensive side of the ball. 

This way we don't have to completely blow up the entire operation, but we get sweeping changes to the offense and hopefully an offensive staff that can really develop Marcus the way that he needs to be developed (Clements is the man responsible for developing Aaron Rodgers after all.) and put Marcus and the entire offense in better situations to succeed. I also found it interesting that for all the praise Mularkey always gets for developing guys like Kordell Stewart, Clements was the QB coach the year that Stewart went to the Pro Bowl.

This of course is all dependent on Mularkey actually not being hard headed and doing what's best for the team as opposed to doing what's best for him and his ego.  So, I don't know how likely any of it is, but I feel like this could be the "best of both worlds" scenario where we can get a coach in here with a proven pedigree of developing QBs and successful offenses while also keeping Mularkey in the fold as the "figure head, CEO" type that players seem to love playing for.  Outside of moving on from Mularkey entirely, I'm really starting to think that this is the best possible move we could make this offseason to try to right this ship on offense.

I'd rather miss the playoffs than extend Mularkey. My god what an awful ******* scenario that would be. 

Whats the point in firing Robiskie? Finding someone else to call plays out of the exact same playbook? Mularkey has even mentioned he tells Robiskie plays to call in certain situations. Might as well keep Robiskie and drop the hammer on everyone after 2018.

I'd hire Mularkey back as a TE coach. Haha

the turn of events that caused this franchise to land in the hands of Amy Adams Strunk is devastating

We complain about so, so much on here. Let's add "meddling owner" to that list. It's CRIPPLING

i haaaaaave to know what JRob is thinking. And what his actual decision-making power is when it comes to the coaching staff

Archived