Mahomes and Reid possibly under discipline for Ref comments

BullsandBroncos

Yeah I'd be shocked if they weren't disciplined. That's been the league's stance---protect these horrendous officials at all costs.

NOTE: not saying Mahomes/Reid are right/wrong here...just saying that the league refuses to hold referees accountable for being consistently awful at their jobs. They'll fine the players and coaches millions of dollars over the course of a season for taking up issue with people that are overtly terrible at their jobs.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah I'd be shocked if they weren't disciplined. That's been the league's stance---protect these horrendous officials at all costs.

NOTE: not saying Mahomes/Reid are right/wrong here...just saying that the league refuses to hold referees accountable for being consistently awful at their jobs. They'll fine the players and coaches millions of dollars over the course of a season for taking up issue with people that are overtly terrible at their jobs.

Don't they get graded on every play and call? And the best ones get playoffs, the average ones get no playoffs, and the bad ones are demoted or let go? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Don't they get graded on every play and call? And the best ones get playoffs, the average ones get no playoffs, and the bad ones are demoted or let go? 

Yes, yes, yes, and no.

I don't think I can recall any referee getting fired because they were terrible. I've seen the same idiots ruining games for years.

And I'm aware a lot of this stems from the higher-ups. Roger Goddell is the one that is truly behind this horrendous era of refereeing. Phantom roughing the passers, putting a ban on even clean hard hits, etc...

I get more frustrated at the inconsistencies and inability to admit they made a mistake.

Edited by BetterCallSaul
  • Like 5

Independent of how Mahomes behaved yesterday - I hate this. Players and coaches should have every right to comment on officiating. If the refs don’t like it, let them take the podium and defend themselves. 

We all know they won’t, though.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

I don't agree with how they handled it.   

They handled it like babies, but they're not unique in that. It happens every week.

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

But the Chiefs get all the calls narrative is old and stupid.  

I agree. The Chiefs got a very lucky call in the Super Bowl--and a few others on a national stage--and it became open season on them. I think referees are just bad at their jobs. I had heard for years how the refs were out to screw the Browns. I don't think the refs care about that stuff--I just think they're inept.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don't think I can recall any referee getting fired because they were terrible. I've seen the same idiots ruining games for years.

The refs who work their way up to head referee are usually pretty good. I can see why there is little turnover there. But are you telling me you are keeping track of all the line judges and whether they are brought back year-to-year? 

8 minutes ago, Soko said:

Independent of how Mahomes behaved yesterday - I hate this. Players and coaches should have every right to comment on officiating. If the refs don’t like it, let them take the podium and defend themselves. 

We all know they won’t, though.

Not a good idea. Can criminal defendants say anything they want about a judge or jury? 

A player could easily say things about a ref that would get the fanbase fired up and result in threats or intimidation. Better to quash all that with a blanket ban. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The refs who work their way up to head referee are usually pretty good. I can see why there is little turnover there. But are you telling me you are keeping track of all the line judges and whether they are brought back year-to-year? 

I find myself hurling the same obscenities at the same idiots for years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

Not a good idea. Can criminal defendants say anything they want about a judge or jury? 

A player could easily say things about a ref that would get the fanbase fired up and result in threats or intimidation. Better to quash all that with a blanket ban. 

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve heard in my life. 

Which do you find NFL players more equivalent to: free citizens living their life in society, or criminals in the midst of a criminal trial? 

Perhaps the media also shouldn’t be allowed to say what they want? Or people on social media? They could insight violence or intimidation after all. I’m not even hopping on the “free speech” soap box, but what your reasoning requires that A) Patrick Mahomes committed a crime, was arrested, and is going through trial, and B) only NFL players (or all athletes?) can insight violence by…critiquing referees. Not slandering them. Not posting their addresses. Not actually telling people to cause them any harm. Just saying “they sucked last night”. 

Yeah, you’re right, let’s keep a lid on all this free speech stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soko said:

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve heard in my life. 

Which do you find NFL players more equivalent to: free citizens living their life in society, or criminals in the midst of a criminal trial? 

Perhaps the media also shouldn’t be allowed to say what they want? Or people on social media? They could insight violence or intimidation after all. I’m not even hopping on the “free speech” soap box, but what your reasoning requires that A) Patrick Mahomes committed a crime, was arrested, and is going through trial, and B) only NFL players (or all athletes?) can insight violence by…critiquing referees. Not slandering them. Not posting their addresses. Not actually telling people to cause them any harm. Just saying “they sucked last night”. 

Yeah, you’re right, let’s keep a lid on all this free speech stuff.

Can't let the inmates run the prison

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soko said:

Giving critique = /= running the asylum. 

Unnecessarily dramatic.

If you think Mahomes and Reid were giving a critique last night... I would use different words. 

I have seen violence against refs in many levels of sport. Also incidents of threats and intimidation. The NFL should be a model for lesser leagues. Respect the refs and abide by their calls. On the field, their authority must be absolute, or else there is no sport.  

• Like 1