2024 Top FA Signing

HuskieBear

2024 Top FA Signing  

22 members have voted

1. 1. We only sign 1 "top" FA - which position/player would you want?

• DE - Hunter/Young/Burns/Allen
    • DT - Madubuike/Wilkins/Jones
    • WR - Higgins/Evans/Ridley/Pittman
    • C - Williams/Biadasz
    • RB - Henry/Barkley
    • FS - Stone/Winfield

If we don’t want to spend massively on a DE the Dolphins are about to cut Emmanuel Ogbah who is the perfect Flus DE…big, heavy & long…been productive throughout his career…him & Walker behind Sweat & another starter would be an excellent versatile group..

Not so much a “top” FA signing, but what do you guys think about DJ Wonnum? 8 sacks in 2 of the past 3 seasons opposite Hunter in MIN. Had a partially torn quad for which he had surgery in December which is usually about a ~4 month recovery from everything I’ve seen, putting him well in line for the full offseason program. He might be a guy looking for a 1-year deal to hit the market healthy next year but I like the player quite a bit and he seems to fit Flus’ edge player profile pretty well. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not so much a “top” FA signing, but what do you guys think about DJ Wonnum? 8 sacks in 2 of the past 3 seasons opposite Hunter in MIN. Had a partially torn quad for which he had surgery in December which is usually about a ~4 month recovery from everything I’ve seen, putting him well in line for the full offseason program. He might be a guy looking for a 1-year deal to hit the market healthy next year but I like the player quite a bit and he seems to fit Flus’ edge player profile pretty well. 

If he wasn’t coming off the injury so would be all for him…very underrated IMO…for me if we aren’t going expensive at DE then Ogbah/Epenesa/Armstrong JR just make too much sense to pass up.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

If he wasn’t coming off the injury so would be all for him…very underrated IMO…for me if we aren’t going expensive at DE then Ogbah/Epenesa/Armstrong JR just make too much sense to pass up.

To me there just seems like there's too much smoke around the "Poles loves Hunter" for there not to be a fire somewhere. If we signed Hunter to a 3 year deal as our "big" FA ticket, along with CW and hopefully Odunze/Nabers at #9 i would be v happy.

7 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

To me there just seems like there's too much smoke around the "Poles loves Hunter" for there not to be a fire somewhere. If we signed Hunter to a 3 year deal as our "big" FA ticket, along with CW and hopefully Odunze/Nabers at #9 i would be v happy.

I think Hunter no doubt makes sense as a that “Peppers” type of pick up…some reports say that could be the route…some say we will be very active but not huge spenders on any one guy…as usual no one has a clue for another 12 days 😂

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think Hunter no doubt makes sense as a that “Peppers” type of pick up…some reports say that could be the route…some say we will be very active but not huge spenders on any one guy…as usual no one has a clue for another 12 days 😂

Hunter would probably come in as their 2nd biggest contract. I think he’s gonna get a deal in that Sweat/Gary/Crosby range, especially with half the league needing edge rushers. I have serious doubts about Poles paying two guys at the same position that much. I know we’re gonna have our QB on a rookie deal for the next few years, but at some point some of your impact financial investments have to be on the offensive side of the ball.

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Hence the idea of a prove it deal. I like Armstrong quite a bit - were he not behind Parsons and Lawrence in DAL I think he would’ve been a starter and probably had gaudier stats heading toward FA. For being a guy going into his 7th season he’ll only be 27 this season too. I think he’d give you legit pass rushing production at half the cost of Hunter - only hang up is that he’s supposedly not a great run defender and we know how much of a focus that is for Flus. Wonnum is also a solid run defender from what I’ve seen. 

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

I've started to really love the idea of trying to sign Saquon. He would a perfect weapon in this offense and would take immense pressure off of both a rookie QB and likely rookie WR2

I like him a lot but the risk he presents relative to what I expect his price to be isn’t something overly appealing to me, and 1242 total yards in 14 games in 2023 isn’t super exciting either IMO (circumstances certainly a factor, but he was again limited by health).

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I like him a lot but the risk he presents relative to what I expect his price to be isn’t something overly appealing to me, and 1242 total yards in 14 games in 2023 isn’t super exciting either IMO (circumstances certainly a factor, but he was again limited by health).

i don't see a ton of risk. we have the cap space to sign him to a deal, maybe 3/36 with maybe 24 guaranteed in the first 2 years - we could be out in 2 years if we want, and he could provide good protection in the pass game, good receiver, loaded boxes against him open up passing lanes, etc..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i don't see a ton of risk. we have the cap space to sign him to a deal, maybe 3/36 with maybe 24 guaranteed in the first 2 years - we could be out in 2 years if we want, and he could provide good protection in the pass game, good receiver, loaded boxes against him open up passing lanes, etc..

I see this argument a lot. Just because we have the cap space doesn't mean we should be frivolous about spending it. I would rather spend the money on players that I know that I can rely on as opposed to someone that could either be great or miss a third of the season. Just my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I see this argument a lot. Just because we have the cap space doesn't mean we should be frivolous about spending it. I would rather spend the money on players that I know that I can rely on as opposed to someone that could either be great or miss a third of the season. Just my opinion. 

i didn't say anything about being frivolous or spending all our space. I even provided an "out" option in the contract for when we have less space. Yes, SB has missed some time, but that's why you have depth, and you hope that players like Herbert and Rojo can keep him healthier. Both of those players are good role players or change of pace guys, but neither of them are true #1s. 

FA RBs aren't always a good idea, but there are exceptions, and I think our specific case is one, at least for 2-3 years. I'm good if it happens, i'm good if it doesn't. But Poles also signed 2 LBs to big deals last season when most of us didn't expect that. a top 2-5 RB in the league would continue to give us a good running game and take pressure off of our rookie RB. Justin Fields led the team in rushing this season with 657, and he's not going to be on the team next year. D'onta Foreman was 3rd with 425 and he didn't even play half the season. Herbert had 611 and Rojo had 352 and herbert has also missed time the last few seasons. We aren't drafting one this season, at least not in the first 3 rounds, so why not weaponize some of our space and sign one?