Steelers Christmas Classics: Week 15 GDT vs Pats

43M

1 hour ago, grubs10 said:

Does a snowy game help or hurt the steelers?  Or does it turn into a coin-flip game with homefield on the line?

I think our offense is versatile enough to do well in the snow. Look at the Buffalo game last year. I think the Pats would probably be a little more built for it, though. The run the ball well. Our defense is so slow without Shazier, I'm not sure it'll matter much. 

It would seem to me that snow would slow down our best weapon....AB. The Pats are known for having a Defensive game plan that focuses on the star player and neutralizing him. On a clear day there are 2 star players in Bell and Brown. It would be hard for them stop both. On a snowy day, you just man up or play Zone on Brown and let the weather slow him down in regards to cuts and separation. Then focus on clogging the holes and surrounding Bell. 

This game is going to come down to how well our defense can play.  Miami showed that this team is beatable.  The corners have to play well, (Come on, Haden!) and we've got to get pressure up the middle and from the edges. Really hope we see James Harrison out there for some snaps Sunday.  T.J. Watt has to play a big game and VW needs to have a monster game across the middle.  

I have no doubt our offense can light them up.  

I think Tomlin BADLY wants to beat these guys after the debacle in January.   Let's hope they take a page from Miami's book.  

4 hours ago, August4th said:

Haden starts practicing this week

Now that is great news.  Ever since he got hurt the D has been terrible.  It went from #2 to #5 in a hurry, and now is at #7.  PPG went from 17.2 to 19.3 points, going off memory.  Losing both Shazier and Haden is a killer.  You might be able to get by without one of them, but without both is just brutal.  They're the 2 more irreplaceable players on the entire D, and we're without both.

this feels like the most hyped regular season steelers game since the 04 October game against NE

Randy Moss, Rex Ryan, Matt Hasselbeck and the crew of ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown will broadcast live Sunday from Jerome Bettis' Grille 36 on Pittsburgh's North Shore to add even more pregame buildup to the Steelers dramatic contest against nemesis New England Patriots.

The show will mark the second time Sunday NFL Countdown has traveled to a regular season game site in the program's 32-year history.

29 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

nobody is better in the snow than Brady, so for p[assing there is your answer. 

Brady is currently the best in rain, sleet, snow and when it's bright and sunny. This team is good enough to beat him in any weather condition. It just depends on which team shows up.  

I would be lying if I were confident we will win this weekend. Having said that a loss doesnt guarantee the Pats the #1 seed. I have a strong feeling they're going to lose to Buffalo.

We not only need to play 100% mistake free football, but we have to force Brady to make mistakes. 

This includes the stupid penalties.

Keep in mind, last season Ben and Bryant were not active for this matchup.

Shazier however is a huge loss tio the D. Im hopeful that Watt can get to Brady often.

Interesting that this will be the first time the Patriots have to prepare for Ben, Brown, Bell, and Bryant....though, Bryant has been a massive disappointment. Still, the deep threat ability is there so you do have to take note. 

TOP and running the football will be massively important. No huddle in spurts will be helpful, but we cannot just hand the keys to Ben all game long. Situational football does have some effect, but the two games were we went largely no huddle were Jacksonville and Baltimore and we had 121 passes to 36 rushes...Give Ben the keys he WILL pass. 

I don't mind the no huddle gun show Ben puts on at times, but against the Patriots, we need to rest the pass rush and keep from giving Tom extra changes on 3 and outs that only take 1:20 off the game clock. The more our defense is off the field the better and we can do that by handing the ball to an All Pro running back behind a very stout offensive line.

So, Miami played almost exclusively a Cover 1 / Robber, with man coverage. That, coupled with our OL injuries, no Gronk (he's so key on blocking) and their wild blitzes - meant our offense couldn't operate. We don't see it often, but that's a new one. 

Do Pittsburgh do any of this?

32 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So, Miami played almost exclusively a Cover 1 / Robber, with man coverage. That, coupled with our OL injuries, no Gronk (he's so key on blocking) and their wild blitzes - meant our offense couldn't operate. We don't see it often, but that's a new one. 

Do Pittsburgh do any of this?

It's really hard telling what we'll do. It really depends on the health of Joe Haden. I have a feeling if he's in we'll throw some man in there. If he's out, expect mostly zone. Especially if Coty Sensabaugh gets the start. 

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It's really hard telling what we'll do. It really depends on the health of Joe Haden. I have a feeling if he's in we'll throw some man in there. If he's out, expect mostly zone. Especially if Coty Sensabaugh gets the start. 

Sounds like he'll play?

24 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Sounds like he'll play?

I bet you'll see a heavy dose of man with some zone sprinkled in to try and confuse Brady. Some fans have been talking about not showing too much to BB prior to a playoff matchup but I think we bring the kitchen sink. 

Unfortunately it doesn't matter a whole lot. With Shazier gone our defense can't stop outside runs. I'd expect to see a big game for whichever flavor runningback you guys are on this time.

Archived