Week 16: Packers @ Panthers - GB wins 33-30! Joe Barry defense saved by the clock!

FAH1223

4 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

yes a superbowl is the only thing that saves barry at this point. if we lose in the playoffs either by blowout or last second let-down he is done.

i am really hoping we get in

I am against anything happening that could possibly give MLF the idea he could retain Barry. Including making the playoffs. This team never reaches its potential with Barry around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R T said:

That is just another butt hurt take. They are not keeping Barry regardless of how the season plays out, but you will remain mentally crippled until it is announced publicly.

And yes, everything is still in front of them, but you keep being you and keep hoping Carolina put 30 up on them.    

How do you know they are not keeping Barry?    Unless you are MLF you have no idea.   Are you MLF, or are you just being you?

It was obvious to most that he should have been let go after last season.  He was retained.

It was obvious to most that he should have been let go after the TB performance.  He was retained.

We will never win a SB with Barry running the defensive responsibilities.   Wishing things transpire to ensure that doesn't happen isn't crazy.

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I am against anything happening that could possibly give MLF the idea he could retain Barry. Including making the playoffs. This team never reaches its potential with Barry around. 

If Lafleur is dumb enough to bring Barry back, even if the packers go 3-0 and in the playoffs, than he needs to go aswell and the sooner we know if he’s the right coach or not the better, so might as well go 3-0 and find out. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If MLF retains Barry, that means the Packers have a MLF issue, not a Barry issue.  If the Packers have an MLF issue, it's better to find that out sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Leader said:

I honestly dont see either of those options happening. Certainly not the last one. The first one???

Barry's gone IMO. If MLF's not put off by the defensive strategies he offers and the "uncertain" play/results, the level of public outcry has reached his ears. Based on his own comments, that outcry's also reached Barry's ears and he sounds resigned to the fact he'll be departing.

I sure hope you are right but I for one do not trust MLF to can Barry this offseason if we somehow make the playoffs.  Hell, even if we don't Matt may stick with Barry anyway.  I truly believe having this clown as our DC is hampering the development of all of those kids we drafted high in the past few years.

13 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I sure hope you are right but I for one do not trust MLF to can Barry this offseason if we somehow make the playoffs.  Hell, even if we don't Matt may stick with Barry anyway.  I truly believe having this clown as our DC is hampering the development of all of those kids we drafted high in the past few years.

This has the same feel to it as the Capers Saga. He'd wound down performance-wise and fans were shivering in their boots he'd do anything to save his position in GB. I remember there was some late game against MN (I think....), the defense came thru and fans were like "Oh **** - now he's gotta stay around"

Didn't happen...and I dont see it happening with JB.

30 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If MLF retains Barry, that means the Packers have a MLF issue, not a Barry issue.  If the Packers have an MLF issue, it's better to find that out sooner rather than later.

31 minutes ago, Bcv said:

If Lafleur is dumb enough to bring Barry back, even if the packers go 3-0 and in the playoffs, than he needs to go aswell and the sooner we know if he’s the right coach or not the better, so might as well go 3-0 and find out. 

If either of you think MLF would be fired after making the playoffs this year, you need to get a grip. There would be ZERO chance of this happening.

Like I said, I'm against anything happening that would give MLF any excuse to bring Barry back. He should have whacked him last week, didn't have the stones to do it. 

45 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I sure hope you are right but I for one do not trust MLF to can Barry this offseason if we somehow make the playoffs.  Hell, even if we don't Matt may stick with Barry anyway.  I truly believe having this clown as our DC is hampering the development of all of those kids we drafted high in the past few years.

I suspect Gute and Murphy will convince MLF that Barry is hampering he development of the young talent, if he needs convincing. Also, as many have pointed out, Barry is likely in the last year of his contract. So MLF can't just "stick with Barry". He would have to offer Barry a contract extension. If MLF keeps Barry, he's putting his own future here in Barry's hands. After the debacle of the last 2 weeks, I can't see that happening. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

mlf complained about communication and then praised panthers dc communication.

he is over barry, just biding time. 

2 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I suspect Gute and Murphy will convince MLF that Barry is hampering he development of the young talent, if he needs convincing. Also, as many have pointed out, Barry is likely in the last year of his contract. So MLF can't just "stick with Barry". He would have to offer Barry a contract extension. If MLF keeps Barry, he's putting his own future here in Barry's hands. After the debacle of the last 2 weeks, I can't see that happening. 

Wish I knew if Barry was really in his last year of contract or not.  If he is and LaFleur re-ups the guy then we have a pretty big problem.  Barry has had his time to put something good together and here we are in week 16 or whatever and the defense can't communicate the simplest of things.  It should be a well oiled machine at this point and it's breaking down like an old junker.  I think Murphy and Gute will demand better from LaFleur.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Then he should have manned up and fired him. Leaving a lame duck in the building is never a good idea. 

i don't think it is a question on manlihood. he is doing what he thinks is best chance to win. that includes taking a larger role in coordinating the defense and helping them to figure out the communication problems. 

3 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

i don't think it is a question on manlihood. he is doing what he thinks is best chance to win. that includes taking a larger role in coordinating the defense and helping them to figure out the communication problems. 

When 11 guys are lined up on 1st and 10 set to give the other team an easy 7-8 yards, it's not a communication problem. It's a defensive coordinator problem. Speaking to the last drive in the Giants game and basically the whole Tampa game.

Don't give me this, 'communication problem!' The TD pass Stokes was pissed about is a perfect example of being set up to fail. Single high safety and Stokes is expecting help inside. The problem is the safety is caught in no man's land because he's got another WR on the other side he's supposed to give help to.

Tampa knew exactly what we were going to do all game long, so did the Giants. They were patient and took was there for the taking every down. 

Barry's comments about communication issues shows you how weak he is as a leader. 

23 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

mlf complained about communication and then praised panthers dc communication.

he is over barry, just biding time. 

A couple weeks ago he was praising Wink Martindale pretty heavily as well.  I think he's seeing how much better all of these other DC's are compared to Barry.  Ironically both Wink and Ejiro may soon be available.

• Like 1