Giants GM/HC search

mattbags2313

Giants could reach deal with David Gettleman this week. 

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/12/10/16760384/dave-gettleman-could-become-giants-gm-this-week-source

I think he would be an awesome get. The NFL league was stunned when he was fired from Carolina. The last straw was not resigning Josh Norman, a moved that proved to be the right one. His firing was more due to a fallout with the front office from what I've gathered. 

If you scroll to the bottom of that article they mention possibly HCs. I wouldnt mind shurmur. He has worked wonders for that Vikings offense, they are literally the definition of efficient. I also take his stint with the browns with a grain of salt for obvious reasons. Steve Wilks interests me as a well. Both names definitely dont have the flash of McDaniels or Shaw

All this being said, I will absolutely lose my MIND if we hire Mike Smith. I cant stand him. His teams never play defense, and somehow he ended up as DC for Tampa. He has no control over his players, and I just think hes a bum. This is where I dont like the possible Gettlemen hiring, he will bring back everyone he has ties with which is all heavily connected to the TC coaching tree

Other GM/HC combos to look out for

Nick Caserio and Josh McDaniels (PLEASE)

Eliot Wolfe and John DeFilippo

George Paton and Pat Shurmur

I will update this thread throughout the hiring process

44 minutes ago, mattbags2313 said:

All this being said, I will absolutely lose my MIND if we hire Mike Smith. I cant stand him. His teams never play defense, and somehow he ended up as DC for Tampa. He has no control over his players, and I just think hes a bum. This is where I dont like the possible Gettlemen hiring, he will bring back everyone he has ties with which is all heavily connected to the TC coaching tree

Well- as available bums go- he's not too bad!

Image result for Bum  tramp

@matt_bags2313 Couple of things about Gettleman, if I may, matt- his being on the loose, rather than under contract to another NFL team, permits the Giants to talk to him without having to ask for permiso, right now. And of course getting a new GM on-board early enough to prepare for the draft is important. I wouldn't want the Giants to be one of those chaotic teams with a new-hire GM, and coaching staff, scant weeks before the draft. No doubt the Giants will do their due diligence- hiring a general manager is such a huge step- and interview other candidates, before coming to a decision. But being able to speak now to Gettleman, one of their purported preferences, is a fortunate break.

Of course, he (or whomever is chosen) will have a large say on the coaching staff, and perhaps Gettleman already has names in mind. I can conceive of the Giants performing a complete house-cleaning as far as coaches go. I have read too many success stories from other teams- e.g. Linval Joseph blossoming into a Pro-Bowl-level DT in Minnesota, and that being attributed to coaching; or the new O-line coach of the Rams supposedly working wonders with their heretofore underperforming linemen- to have a lot of faith in the Giants' existing coaching staff. Good gosh, I think we're all ready to see what better coaching might do. And the Giants just may get that in another month.

8 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

Gettleman with McDaniels and Spags staying on as DC would be fine with me.

interesting scenario. How do you think not giving spags the HC job then demoting him would go over? I dont know if that would create turmoil or hurt motivation 

1 hour ago, bzane said:

@matt_bags2313 Couple of things about Gettleman, if I may, matt- his being on the loose, rather than under contract to another NFL team, permits the Giants to talk to him without having to ask for permiso, right now. And of course getting a new GM on-board early enough to prepare for the draft is important. I wouldn't want the Giants to be one of those chaotic teams with a new-hire GM, and coaching staff, scant weeks before the draft. No doubt the Giants will do their due diligence- hiring a general manager is such a huge step- and interview other candidates, before coming to a decision. But being able to speak now to Gettleman, one of their purported preferences, is a fortunate break.

Of course, he (or whomever is chosen) will have a large say on the coaching staff, and perhaps Gettleman already has names in mind. I can conceive of the Giants performing a complete house-cleaning as far as coaches go. I have read too many success stories from other teams- e.g. Linval Joseph blossoming into a Pro-Bowl-level DT in Minnesota, and that being attributed to coaching; or the new O-line coach of the Rams supposedly working wonders with their heretofore underperforming linemen- to have a lot of faith in the Giants' existing coaching staff. Good gosh, I think we're all ready to see what better coaching might do. And the Giants just may get that in another month.

@bzane correct, yes Mara said they would be talking to both coaches and GMs that are currently unemployed. I completely agree with your point however I expect the player personnel team to be business as usual throughout this whole process when it comes to the draft and FA. Obviously the GM is needed for both, but given we should have the number 2 pick their shouldnt be much of an argument over who to take. I do agree though, GM now means new coach quicker after the season ends which means more prep. Good point.  

To your last point, surprisingly the GM doesnt have as big of a say for HC within the giants organization. Unorthodox I know, but it is  true. Their voice is definitely heard and valued but Mara has most of the say. Francesca was talking about this on the radio last week saying how the lack of a GM wont prevent the Giant from hiring a new HC. That would never happen and he was def being dramatic, but their is some truth to it. Ownership has a huge say on who is next in line. I think this is a good thing, doesnt allow gettleman (if hired) to call all his old buddies (mike smith). Im sure Mara honestly already has his new coach narrowed down to 5ish names

1 minute ago, mattbags2313 said:

@bzane correct, yes Mara said they would be talking to both coaches and GMs that are currently unemployed. I completely agree with your point however I expect the player personnel team to be business as usual throughout this whole process when it comes to the draft and FA. Obviously the GM is needed for both, but given we should have the number 2 pick their shouldnt be much of an argument over who to take. I do agree though, GM now means new coach quicker after the season ends which means more prep. Good point.  

To your last point, surprisingly the GM doesnt have as big of a say for HC within the giants organization. Unorthodox I know, but it is  true. Their voice is definitely heard and valued but Mara has most of the say. Francesca was talking about this on the radio last week saying how the lack of a GM wont prevent the Giant from hiring a new HC. That would never happen and he was def being dramatic, but their is some truth to it. Ownership has a huge say on who is next in line. I think this is a good thing, doesnt allow gettleman (if hired) to call all his old buddies (mike smith). Im sure Mara honestly already has his new coach narrowed down to 5ish names

I did not know that-!!:$

You speak wise words, que mas sabe- thanks for the info!

Im really torn on Gettleman. Acorsi is playing a huge role in hiring the next GM, and him and David are best friends. I dont want Gettleman gift wrapped the job when you have names like Eric DeCosta, John Dorsey,  Eliot Wolfe,Nick Caserio, and George Paton out there.

The Maras want a change of culture but are going to hire a guy who is exactly like the guy they just fired. Gettleman would be a horrible hire and we'd get more of the same, and we'd also be looking to hire another GM in 4 years. Mike Smith would be a terrible hire as well, as would keeping Spags on in any capacity. We need a total clean slate.

36 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Did we overhaul our scouting department? Otherwise who we had at GM don’t matter. Is Marc Ross still here? If so, what does that really change?

HC, it doesn’t matter who we choose it’s probably gonna be a coordinator who has had success just like 95% of HC hires.

@Kip Smithers- Hi, Kip- apparently the Giants have not yet done much to their scouting staff- as I suppose is reasonable at this time, as work on the draft is ongoing- but may well, according to this:

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/12/12/16763384/five-questions-for-the-new-giants-general-manager

The Giants have a mostly veteran scouting/personnel department. Some of their senior scouts have been with the organization since the George Young era. Some were hired by Ernie Accorsi. Many are good scouts who have been with the organization through good and bad. Remember — it’s their job to scout the players, not to pick them. 

The bigger decisions might regard current interim GM Kevin Abrams and Vice President of Player Evaluation Marc Ross. A new GM might want his own cap analyst, the role Abrams has filled, and personnel evaluator. John Mara said he doesn’t expect sweeping change in the scouting department, but change could come at the top of that group.

Archived