Thoughts and Observations: Bengals

WindyCity

Some thoughts from yesterday's game.

Offense

-Mitch needed a game like that. He needed to play well and win to build the confidence and validate what he has been doing. What I saw yesterday, albeit against an undermanned defense, was elite QB play. I have not seen such a clean game from a Bears QB in a long time. He was throwing with more confidence, he was accurate and for the first time I think we really saw was Mitch in a rhythm. Yesterday was not only big for Mitch it was big for the coaching search, as he is our biggest selling feature, and it was big for the recruitment of free agents, specifically at WR.

-Jordan Howard is awesome, but we need to accept that fact that he cannot catch.

-Good to see Tarik Cohen get used properly 14 touches and being on the field a lot. He was used well as a decoy on a number of runs and he looked way better running the ball. I would like to see him get in the screen game a little more, but much better use.

-I do not care what Adam Shaheen does not know, he is clearly one of the better offensive weapons you have and is consistently getting open and catching the ball. He should have had 2 TDs, but Jackson made a nice play to break up the first one. Shaheen is not Gronk, I do not think he moves like that, but he does remind me of Jason Witten with his size, hands and ability to catch contested passes. Why was he not playing consistently earlier?

-Dion Sims had a strong game by his standards, but it still seemed like everytime he would make a catch he would come back and get blown up in the running game.

-Cody Whitehair has not had as good a year as his rookie year, but yesterday we were back to dominant Whitehair. He was on the 2nd level so much that I probably commented on it to my buddy 6 different times where he had swallowed up the LB. 

-Bobbie Massie and Charles Leno had a really good game, after being pretty mediocre over the losing streak. I would not spend a 1st round pick to replace either of them, but I think we need serious competition in camp next year. Serious competition also has another name and it is depth.

-I think the Bears should extend Kendall Wright, he clearly has a role in the slot and he clearly has a connection with Trubisky. He catches almost everything thrown to him and he runs really nice option routes. The impressive part is how on the same page he and Trubisky seem to be on these option routes.

-Inman was not involved, which is not surprising considering he drew William Jackson most of the game.

-I am not sure who was calling the plays yesterday. It was shocking to me to see that offense being run. It was aggressive and at times creative and was not operating scared. They used the pass to open up the run game for the first time in forever.

Defense

-Eddie Jackson had not played well and against Philly and was non descript against the 49ers, so it was really nice to see him get back on the upward path he was on before those games. Jackson is clearly a keeper and he might be really good. His strip and recovery on the sideline was an awesome play, thank god Fox challenged, and he had a very strong game in the backend.

-It is going to be for more money than we want to spend, but  the Bears should do whatever they can to extend Kyle Fuller. He is playing dominant football and continues to break up passes, physically beat up opposing WRs and tackle like a LB. This is exceptional CB play and the Bears cannot afford to let a talented 25 year old player leave and thrive with another team. I would tag him if necessary.

-Yesterday was a reason I would not be in a rush to bring Prince back. The dude cannot generate a turnover if it hits him directly in the chest. This has been the story of his career and I am not sure I would rush to re-sign him if we cannot expect a couple of impact plays a year.

-I wish Bryce Callahan could stay healthy because I think he can play.

-I thought that Roy Robertson-Harris looked healthy and had a nice game. Beyond the sack there were a couple of other plays where he was really driving the OG back into the backfield. I am intrigued to continue to watch more of him and see if he can lock down a starting role heading into next season. His length is unique and it makes him a mismatch inside.

-Jonathan Bullard flashed on a number of plays and was close to a couple of sacks, but the consistency is still an issue. Some plays he looks like more than the OG can handle and others he looks like a pylon. I would like to see increased reps lead to increased consistency and a little more production on the stat sheet.

-I even saw a little something from Rashad Coward late in the game. He has a couple nice bull rushes.

-John Jenkins is not very good and backup NT is an area where the Bears could do something to upgrade.

-Howard Jones has some pass rush juice and was close to a sack on a couple of rushes and then landed a sack later. For sure someone you keep around through the offseason and see if you can steal some value. He has the physical tools they have looked for with his length.

-Good for Lamarr Houston. I have been tough on Lamarr and he was not a good signing by Phil, but glad to see him producing and showing that he is healthy. With Young and McPhee probably getting cut, maybe a cheap Houston is a veteran you bring to camp?

-You know how you know the Bengals LT sucks? Sam Acho was generating pressure.

@WindyCity You could make essentially the same comment about Fuller re: turnovers at least with regard to this year as you have with Prince. He had the one great INT against SF last week but he’s dropped 5 sure INTs this year too. Maybe more. To me that’s the difference between a corner who makes $12-13M per year long term and one that makes $7M on a 1-year deal. The market will dictate where exactly Fuller falls in there but he’s exactly one takeaway ahead of Prince and you’re reasonably comfortable not bringing Prince back at all. I don’t think that’s a small thing. If you’re THAT guy then AJ Green shouldn’t be spending half the game or more being covered by someone else. Especially when that someone else is just as effective on him.

Don't get me wrong - given the choice of just one I’d keep Fuller over Prince for sure, but if the cost is going to be nearly 200% that of Prince I just don’t see enough of a difference in play for that. I do think that if Fuller hits the market that he’s gonna be gone though, so if Pace plans to keep him here he has to make that move before the first week of March. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

@WindyCity You could make essentially the same comment about Fuller re: turnovers at least with regard to this year as you have with Prince. He had the one great INT against SF last week but he’s dropped 5 sure INTs this year too. Maybe more. To me that’s the difference between a corner who makes $12-13M per year long term and one that makes $7M on a 1-year deal. The market will dictate where exactly Fuller falls in there but he’s exactly one takeaway ahead of Prince and you’re reasonably comfortable not bringing Prince back at all. I don’t think that’s a small thing. If you’re THAT guy then AJ Green shouldn’t be spending half the game or more being covered by someone else. Especially when that someone else is just as effective on him.

Don't get me wrong - given the choice of just one I’d keep Fuller over Prince for sure, but if the cost is going to be nearly 200% that of Prince I just don’t see enough of a difference in play for that. I do think that if Fuller hits the market that he’s gonna be gone though, so if Pace plans to keep him here he has to make that move before the first week of March. 

Prince isn't nearly as physical a tackler nor does he have the passes defensed that Fuller does.

I also do not think the Bears move their CBs. I think Fuller is always on the defensive left side.

Fuller is 25 and having a career year. Prince will be 29 and I think at this point is clearly JAG.

Hicks was talking up Fuller on the radio today... I was worried the dude was this aloof odd-ball but it sounds like he's a solid teammate. I'd try to lock him down for the next 4 years if he's willing to negotiate. Otherwise slap the tag on him... can't let a 25 year old former first round pick walk for nothing.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Prince isn't nearly as physical a tackler nor does he have the passes defensed that Fuller does.

I also do not think the Bears move their CBs. I think Fuller is always on the defensive left side.

Fuller is 25 and having a career year. Prince will be 29 and I think at this point is clearly JAG.

I think Fuller is the better player. I’m not saying he isn’t. What I AM saying that a corner in his “career year” with 1 takeaway isn’t worthy of top CB money IMO just because he’s a good tackler in run support. I don't think he’s that much better overall than Prince tbh. Take it with the requisite PFF grain of salt, but they have Prince as the #26 and Fuller #46 corners in the league, respectfully.

I read earlier today somewhere that Fuller is the most targeted CB in the NFL. His PD numbers SHOULD be high. They’re also elevated by the fact that he’s had half a dozen balls hit him in the hands that he should catch but hasn’t (counting as a PD but really a missed opportunity). I can get two Amukamaras for the price of one Fuller at the tag number and be just as well off if not better. That’s a bad investment to me. I’d rather have a CB who’s an average tackler but makes more big plays than one who’s a good tackler for the position but generates almost no turnovers. 

How many PDs does he have by comparison to Amukamara per time targeted? Not asking for effect - I can’t find the times targeted numbers on the season for both guys and I’d be curious to see them. 

Archived