MNF: Baltimore Ravens @ San Francisco 49ers

Manny/Patrick

29 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

It's possible I misheard but supposedly this is the latest in the regular season that both #1 seeds have met since 1981 - 49ers and Bengals. Which ended up being the Super Bowl...

Think the Broncos were tied with the Chiefs in 1997 but the Chiefs were technically the #1 seed. In week 16 of that season, the 12-2 49ers faced off against the 11-3 Broncos. That's probably the closest comparison to the game we will see on Monday night. 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Think the Broncos were tied with the Chiefs in 1997 but the Chiefs were technically the #1 seed. In week 16 of that season, the 12-2 49ers faced off against the 11-3 Broncos. That's probably the closest comparison to the game we will see on Monday night. 

Were the Rams and Chiefs not both #1 seeds on that infamous MNF game?

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And the Packers beat the Niners that season in the NFC title game, didn't they? Before going on to face the Broncos - so it could've been Broncos/49ers.

7 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

And the Packers beat the Niners that season in the NFC title game, didn't they? Before going on to face the Broncos - so it could've been Broncos/49ers.

Yep, the Packers beat the Niners in the NFFCG....Fairly convincingly. Such a disappointing end to the season as that was one of the best Niners teams of the decade. 

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Were the Rams and Chiefs not both #1 seeds on that infamous MNF game?

Yes, both teams were 9-1 but that game took place in week 11. There are other examples of the #1 seed facing the #1 seed from weeks 10-12, but nothing this late in the season. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 5:27 PM, AngusMcFife said:

Yes the Ravens two worst defensive games came against Stefanski and McVay. Doesn't bode well for Ravens D going against offenses based out of the Kubiak/Shanahan tradition. 

I might be wrong on this and Im sure somebody will tell me Im an idiot, but I think that's because the Ravens defense plays slower laterally and that is exactly what McVay/Stefanski dial up in that style of offense. Stretch plays in the run game, misdirection and play action crossers. The Ravens Defense is very good 1 on 1 and when they play downhill, but I think the key to cracking their defense is to get them moving side to side and not play them head up.

They are the largest DB group in the league which usually comes a price of lateral agility and turning hips

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I might be wrong on this and Im sure somebody will tell me Im an idiot, but I think that's because the Ravens defense plays slower laterally and that is exactly what McVay/Stefanski dial up in that style of offense. Stretch plays in the run game, misdirection and play action crossers. The Ravens Defense is very good 1 on 1 and when they play downhill, but I think the key to cracking their defense is to get them moving side to side and not play them head up.

They are the largest DB group in the league which usually comes a price of lateral agility and turning hips

Rams' running game was gashing us north and south, not laterally. The passing game is all timing-based which is what our defense can struggle against, so if Stafford is throwing to a spot and the timing is good, there's nothing we can do about it.

I don't think the Niners play the same style of passing like that to the extent that the Rams do, but we do need to absolutely press the Niners' receivers and throw off the timing routes.

On 12/20/2023 at 12:24 PM, Forge said:

If the browns offense can put up 27 and the Rams can put up 29 I'm not sure the niners putting up 38 at home would be that crazy, though I don't expect it

Hi forge excellent analysis but they have also had some excellent defensive outings

the ravens are my fantasy team defensively 

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

It’s not intriguing. We already know that the Cowboys will lose because they’re a bad road team.

But Miami can't beat teams with winning records. Unstoppable force, immoveable object 

• Like 1