MNF: Baltimore Ravens @ San Francisco 49ers

Manny/Patrick

6 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

that would be ideal but not always the way it works out. Playoffs can be strange, slow starts, TO's and then just good teams/defence.  It seems like the days of dominant teams controlling games from start to finish in clinical fashion are rare and near extinct especially with these new QB contracts  taking effect on most teams. 

maybe they don't make em the way they used to, cued up for a nice stat line :

I guess what I'm saying is that if I'm having to worry about coming down from a pretty decent deficient in the 4th quarter, then my team isn't that strong to begin with. It's just incredibly hard to manage, and if you have to do that twice in a playoff campaign you'll most likely going to be bounced. Very few teams have won it all doing so. Especially over the course of 4 games. 

This was a tweet from last year when the 49ers fanbase was calling for Kyle's job yet again.

Again the chances of winning are so low, griping about it is trivial. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

10 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Is it possible Kyle is slightly overrated? 

I think he’s top 10ish but people talk about him like Johnny Manziel could be MVP in his system and it just doesn’t make sense. 

the guy is good, but he’s a human like everyone else. 

The hyperbole can be a bit much. I do believe that shanny and Reid are on their own level when it comes to offensive minds in the league, but they aren't lapping the field or anything. I'd just have a gap between them and #3 

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

RIP Brock Purdy's MVP campaign. Lamar came to show him how it's really done. 'Nuff said. I don't wanna hear another word about Purdy being MVP.

Yeah. Glock will just have to set his sights for Super Bowl MVP. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

7 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I guess what I'm saying is that if I'm having to worry about coming down from a pretty decent deficient in the 4th quarter, then my team isn't that strong to begin with. It's just incredibly hard to manage, and if you have to do that twice in a playoff campaign you'll most likely going to be bounced. Very few teams have won it all doing so. Especially over the course of 4 games. 

This was a tweet from last year when the 49ers fanbase was calling for Kyle's job yet again.

Again the chances of winning are so low, griping about it is trivial. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

The hyperbole can be a bit much. I do believe that shanny and Reid are on their own level when it comes to offensive minds in the league, but they aren't lapping the field or anything. I'd just have a gap between them and #3 

I think that's reasonable and the most common take, but I wonder - a step above McDaniels?

What if Peyton had a QB + Weapons?

Is McVay really far behind? 

Idk, even as offensive minds I'm not sure I even see a monumental difference between great coaches that some others do. 

If there was, I gotta believe the Chiefs would have fixed our offensive woes by now. I'm obviously not suggesting Andy isn't great, but just that there are a lot of factors that come into production and everyone copies each others plays so I don't see "oh he's a great schemer" being the trump card people play it as.

5 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

"Glock" just got schooled heavily on home turf.  Not a good sign going into the post season.

It happens. He's also beat the hell out of good teams and already played in the playoffs. 

There is nothing to really take from this game long term right now except maybe redo the game plan if you play them again

12 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

"Glock" just got schooled heavily on home turf.  Not a good sign going into the post season.

Irrelevant, because it's not the postseason, and it's one game. 

Now spotlight the rest of his starts this season. :)

Ha, just had a memory of my guy Montana getting sacked on his home turf against the Rams 9 times in the midst of a 16-38 loss against the Rams in the final game of the season. Then the 49ers won the Super Bowl lol. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

38 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

14 of those 277 losses (51%) were games started by Hoyer, Beathard, and Mullens (denoted as "Scrubs" for this exercise).

2017: 6 losses (Scrubs: 6)

2018: 7 losses (Jimmy: 2 Scrubs: 5)

2019: 1 loss (Jimmy: 1)

2020: 5 losses (Jimmy: 2; Scrubs: 3)

2021: 3 losses (Jimmy: 3)

2022: 3 losses (Jimmy: 2; Purdy: 1)

2023: 2 loss (Purdy: 2)

Kyle Shanahan is definitely not without flaws...but I'm a little hesitant to completely eat his lunch on this stat, especially considering that half of those losses happened with practice-squad-level QBs.

Any team, even a good team trailing by even just 3 points heading into the 4th quarter, given a big sample size, the winning percentage is going to be absurdly low to the point of not squabbling about it. Down max 1 possession at -8 is basically impossible enough to impress. 

Damm you want a bigger sample size? Who cares. He was down. For as much as genios as he’s touted he can’t come back. Y’all won many of games with those QBs at the helm. It’s who he is. He can’t adapt and relies way too much on the run. Which isn’t a bad thing. It’s his system. Sometimes the system doesn’t work, much like poker. Sometimes numbers aren’t indicative of the right play and a silly bluff gets you killed for all your chips. 

I mean, I kind of agree with rammy. i think Kyle is kind of broken when it comes to trying to come back. Yeah, there's some random good / bad luck built in to that, but I don't think that will ever be anything he's particularly gifted at. He's got a plan, he follows through on that.

I also just don't know how big of a deal it is. His system and style works a lot. Sometimes it doesn't. There's more good than bad

10 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Damm you want a bigger sample size? Who cares. He was down. For as much as genios as he’s touted he can’t come back. Y’all won many of games with those QBs at the helm. It’s who he is. He can’t adapt and relies way too much on the run. Which isn’t a bad thing. It’s his system. Sometimes the system doesn’t work, much like poker. Sometimes numbers aren’t indicative of the right play and a silly bluff gets you killed for all your chips. 

Well, regardless the chances are low. He's come back from a 17 point deficit. I'm sure you remember that. It's just that it wasn't in the 4th, and it wasn't down 3 or 8 in that quarter. But down 17 at any point in the game is a harder task. But we won't credit Shanny for that I'm guessing, because it didn't have a 4th quarter bow on it. Whoops. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe