MNF: Baltimore Ravens @ San Francisco 49ers

Manny/Patrick

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem is that if you're using "game manager" as a pejorative, which is often the case, then you're not watching Brock Purdy play to call him that. Game manager typically suggests that they take no risks, don't put the game on their arm, are only asked not to lose the game, etc. It's also almost always associated with slightly more physically limited and non athletic QBs as well which is weird. 

That's just not Purdy at all. Purdy is a chaos merchant system QB. He's a higher functioning Ryan Fitzpatrick right now. I never would have called Fitzy a game manager either (at least not in the contemptuous way). 

All QBs "manage the game" so if you're calling him that from that perspective, IE outside of the insulting connotation, you're not really saying anything at all. 

Game manager, gunslinger, “game changer/scrambler” these have always been terms that some define as one thing while another defines it as something else.

Cam defined what he felt a game manager is and thus if one has a problem with his take, have a problem with that based on his definition or the limitation of his terminology.

For example, I think I’d add a tier above game manager. I see game manager as a QB that is elite at managing the gameplan dictated to him by his coaching staff. They can trust that he is going to effectively and efficiently manage that gameplan and minimize mistakes. However I think guys like Manning and Brady went above the coaches system and gameplan. They were able to in a sense, be the system. They’re able to dictate the terms.

Thats a level above what you can expect from Purdy or even a younger Brady. Similarly certain guys can manage the game while also threading passes in a way that few could seek to duplicate. Yet a “gunslinger” has connotations of putting the ball into harms way as well and doesn’t truly encompass what a Patrick Mahomes is able to do.

Yet Mahomes can also use his feet to change the nature of the play, same with Allen and Lamar. How do we factor all that in with such limiting categories?

They all exist on a spectrum of game manager, gunslinger, and Scrambler with different attribute points. In his MVP season Lamar was just a very good game manager that was an elite scrambler.

This season Lamar has much higher attribute points in the gunslinger category, has very high attributes but below his MVP year in game manager category, and less attributes in the scrambling category.

And similarly Purdy isn’t a statue QB, he can move and he can gunsling, but his highest attribute has been “game manager” IMO and thus that’s what he’s going to be most appreciated for. It’s like in Madden where certain stats for a QB use to make the player be defined “pocket passer, balanced, or scrambler” IMO.

Beyond that I’d have something like a game developer (I know terrible name) or something to define the cerebral component to what Manning and Brady could do, but beyond that, most other guys exist on a spectrum, leaning closer to one category or another.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Cam defined what he felt a game manager is and thus if one has a problem with his take, have a problem with that based on his definition or the limitation of his terminology.

We are largely on the same track with this comment. 

For me, Game manager is a style of QB, not necessarily a level of competency. Typically, I find "game manager" to be a titled style with a negative connotation from people, though it's really not all that bad. 

For example, I think Baker and Alex Smith displayed similar level of competencies throughout their career (I'm just using them as examples to get my point across, nothing more).   Same QB tier if I were ranking QBs in tiers. One of them I would consider a "game manager", the other I wouldn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

The categories of "game manager" and "gunslinger" are okay but don't encompass all QBs. Use "gameslinger" for the shot-taking QB who makes risky, tight-window throws with anticipation from the pocket.

Gameslinger. I dig it lol 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Forge said:

The problem is that if you're using "game manager" as a pejorative, which is often the case, then you're not watching Brock Purdy play to call him that. Game manager typically suggests that they take no risks, don't put the game on their arm, are only asked not to lose the game, etc. It's also almost always associated with slightly more physically limited and non athletic QBs as well which is weird. 

That's just not Purdy at all. Purdy is a chaos merchant system QB. He's a higher functioning Ryan Fitzpatrick right now. I never would have called Fitzy a game manager either (at least not in the contemptuous way). 

All QBs "manage the game" so if you're calling him that from that perspective, IE outside of the insulting connotation, you're not really saying anything at all. 

PEOPLE, JUST WATCH THE DAMN VIDEO.

• Like 1

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I put the video there because the context of this whole thing is that Cam Newton is not using the term Game Manager as a pejorative.

It appears that maybe 2 of us have actually watched the video? lol everyone else is just assuming what Cam said based on assumptions.

I mean, I wasn't commenting on Cam specifically there. Just general discourse on the "game manager" that had been going on. My one comment with regards to Cam was in response to the tweet he made last night where someone said he was petty. I think it was the wrong move because I don't think you can post the monocle emoji after you went into control mode on your original statement lol.  You're basically trying to hedge yourself which just makes it kind of soft. 

I don't have any problems with what he said unless he's using it as an insult to his style of play because as discussed with @diamondbull424, I don't think this actually aligns withe the player.  If you're not using it to insult, then you're not really saying anything about the quality of the QB regardless since all QBs manage the game and its a pointless endeavor to discuss. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

I'm terrible at picking these Niner games.

Ravens are clearly the best team....I know Smith has been amazing and Hamilton is breaking out. What else is going right for this team? Looking at their roster, I don't feel like they should be here so I'm clearly missing something (and admittedly haven't watched many games)

It is a really well built team. In terms of top end talent, SF, Dallas, Philly probably have more blue chip players. But Baltimore has a good offensive line, depth on the defensive line, secondary is solid. WR corps doesn't have any stars, but it is a solid group and ST is solid as usual. Lamar is really good too and even harder to play against if you don't see him often because of his speed. 

It blows my mind that being called a game manager is bad. The greatest QB ever literally was a game manager. For years Stafford led drives, for years he was called a stat padder. 

Lamar Jackson is as. Dude hasn’t won ish, when did he become a mega star? This is the mvp that got pimped slapped by a trash as titans team that got hot. Who stopped them? mahomes. Not everyone is Mahomes. When did the narrative of being called a game manager get thrown into a cancer statement? 

There’s only one Mahomes and even he’s struggling rn…. This is crazy. Josh Allan hasn’t won crap. He gets dumpster when they lose! Josh Allan int cost the 

the game. But a game manager wouldn’t have lost you the game though. So now you want him to be a game manager lol? Ravens losing in the playoffs. I’ll bet anyone 200$ they’re not winning the Super Bowl. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_manager

In American football, a game manager is a quarterback who, despite pedestrian individual statistics such as passing yards and touchdowns, also maintains low numbers of mistakes, such as interceptions and fumbles.

Some of you guys just legitimately don't know what the term means. Including Cam. You cannot call the greatest QB ever a game manager. It's nonsense.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Some of you guys just legitimately don't know what the term means. Including Cam. You cannot call the greatest QB ever a game manager. It's nonsense.

This definition makes even less sense for Purdy, because not only is he second in both passing yards and TDs right now, but even before yesterday his turnover rate wasn't particularly low(in fact, it's now higher than average)

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

The claim is that their are different definitions of game manager not that the above applies to Purdy. The argument is silly in general. These labels are meaningless. Just tell people if you think they are good or not.

• Like 2