QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

Almost draft time. 

Maye’s ball placement… damn. Best ball placement I’ve seen since Burrow was coming out. Amazing. Great arm too, and has some good wheels. 

Obviously, we’re not getting him, which is highly disappointing. 

Hopefully we can land JJ, Daniels, or Penix. I’ll take any of the three. I think all three can be good with the right coaching and right development. 

Edited by Tank4Drake
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Almost draft time. 

Maye’s ball placement… damn. Best ball placement I’ve seen since Burrow was coming out. Amazing. Great arm too, and has some good wheels. 

Obviously, we’re not getting him, which is highly disappointing. 

Hopefully we can land JJ, Daniels, or Penix. I’ll take any of the three. I think all three can be good with the right coaching and right development. 

trade the house for pick 1 or 2. Get a game changing QB. grow a pair

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That's kinda all he's ever been and what he is now. Yeah, he shows flashes of being good at times and able to carry a team but he also looks dreadful at times. Plus, do we know how good he really is? Note the stats I posted earlier once Stalions was out of the picture. JJ was mediocre, at best after he didn't know what the defense was doing. Can we really gauge how good he is or isn't bc everything he's done in college was with assistance of knowing what the defense was doing minus those games I listed. Basically the college version of Spygate. Why risk a high round pick for that? 

Do you feel that's a reasonable thing to consider?

It sounded like you described Carr...Good at times and total hogwash other times. He never took the 'next step' but I'd take a chance on those tools until we get over the QB hump. We can never know how good someone is going to be until they are put in the situation. He's young so my guess is he'll get better over the next few years and #13 or #10 isn't a high pick IMO. Sitting and developing a young QB is the best way to go. It's the only position I would sit 1st rounders on. To me a 1st is a starter but I make exceptions for QB's because you can ruin them if they play too soon. Carr beat out the vet and if any of the rookies I mentioned beat out our current QB's then GREAT! I think a game manager would have taken us to the playoffs. I see an Alex Smith like career, where he gets better and better over the seasons. Brady did it. He wasn't ish, it was his lack of mistakes and an incredible defense that won the first few Super Bowls. Brady got better and won it without the Pats, but he wasn't that QB his first contract. Not even close and he 100% was in Spygate and Deflate Gate, Tuck Rule and the Raiders have a few things named because of us.  😃

7 hours ago, G said:

It sounded like you described Carr...Good at times and total hogwash other times. He never took the 'next step' but I'd take a chance on those tools until we get over the QB hump. We can never know how good someone is going to be until they are put in the situation. He's young so my guess is he'll get better over the next few years and #13 or #10 isn't a high pick IMO. Sitting and developing a young QB is the best way to go. It's the only position I would sit 1st rounders on. To me a 1st is a starter but I make exceptions for QB's because you can ruin them if they play too soon. Carr beat out the vet and if any of the rookies I mentioned beat out our current QB's then GREAT! I think a game manager would have taken us to the playoffs. I see an Alex Smith like career, where he gets better and better over the seasons. Brady did it. He wasn't ish, it was his lack of mistakes and an incredible defense that won the first few Super Bowls. Brady got better and won it without the Pats, but he wasn't that QB his first contract. Not even close and he 100% was in Spygate and Deflate Gate, Tuck Rule and the Raiders have a few things named because of us.  😃

And we know we don't want another Carr around here lol. Actually, that's not a bad comparison for JJ. I said a Heineki w/ a better arm but he's more a more athletic version of Carr...... I can easily see that comparison......

You're right that we don't know but we can use what happened in college to help determine how they'll perform once put in that situation. Problem is, 90% of JJ's starts are tarnished b/c he knew exactly what the defense was doing majority of the time. When he didn't, he wasn't very good more times than he was (see TCU). Drafting him w/ our first is way too risky IMO. I see him falling to the second or third though so if it happened then, it would make more sense. I still wouldn't like it but it is what it is. A lot of guys you're naming needed to be in the right situation to succeed and I don't want that w/ our QB but I do see it w/ JJ. I want a guy who will succeed regardless of the place he's in. I'd rather take a flier on a guy like Nix than JJ.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 6:37 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And we know we don't want another Carr around here lol. Actually, that's not a bad comparison for JJ. I said a Heineki w/ a better arm but he's more a more athletic version of Carr...... I can easily see that comparison......

You're right that we don't know but we can use what happened in college to help determine how they'll perform once put in that situation. Problem is, 90% of JJ's starts are tarnished b/c he knew exactly what the defense was doing majority of the time. When he didn't, he wasn't very good more times than he was (see TCU). Drafting him w/ our first is way too risky IMO. I see him falling to the second or third though so if it happened then, it would make more sense. I still wouldn't like it but it is what it is. A lot of guys you're naming needed to be in the right situation to succeed and I don't want that w/ our QB but I do see it w/ JJ. I want a guy who will succeed regardless of the place he's in. I'd rather take a flier on a guy like Nix than JJ.

Nix has a better body of work than jj imo

On 1/18/2024 at 6:37 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I am fine with a QB starting at a Carr type of level.  My problem with Carr was he had issues that he was unable to fix or overcome.  I like a more athletic Carr if he is willing to use his athletisism and mentally function when plays breakdown.  Every QB prospect has issues that they will need to overcome and whether they do it or not is what is going to be the difference between a good pick and a bust.  When you go back and watch Carr play his best ball, which was in the 5-10 range, he was willing to take off and keep the defense guessing.  His worst was when he tried to stay in the pocket and the pressure got to him.  Half of his issues were self inflected.  The other half was his inability to process information once the play started.  He was good presnap but when he was wrong it was like he did not have a plan B.  This was not any coaches fault because he was this way since 2017.

• Like 2