QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

47 minutes ago, NickButera said:

He's not just "not refined", he's not a passer at all. He doesn't seem to process coverages well, doesn't time his throws well, doesn't go through progressions well, and turns the ball over, a lot. Adams would never see the ball. 

Even if you include his rushing TDs he can't get more than 20-25 tds a year. He barely throws 200 yards a game. I mean, I don't mean to be hating, I just literally don't see him do 1 thing decently that a QB should do. He doesn't even make plays, He makes 1 play, runs. That's about it.  I'm ok with a QB who makes plays, but the only play he's able to make is run. 

You are describing Terrelle Pryor not Justin Fields. Tell me you haven’t watched Justin Fields without directly telling me you haven’t watched Justin Fields.  He has great arm talent, kept the Bears in games with Darnell Mooney as his #2 WR, and has shown multiple flashes of incredible ball placement. 

Also, look up DJ Moore’s numbers and tell me that Davante won’t eat with Fields at QB. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, NickButera said:

He's not just "not refined", he's not a passer at all. He doesn't seem to process coverages well, doesn't time his throws well, doesn't go through progressions well, and turns the ball over, a lot. Adams would never see the ball. 

Even if you include his rushing TDs he can't get more than 20-25 tds a year. He barely throws 200 yards a game. I mean, I don't mean to be hating, I just literally don't see him do 1 thing decently that a QB should do. He doesn't even make plays, He makes 1 play, runs. That's about it.  I'm ok with a QB who makes plays, but the only play he's able to make is run. 

The QB position has evolved and Fields is better than what you’re given credit for. DJ Moore still had a productive season and I can see Adams still produce at a high level with Fields.

9 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I agree, however I think the Raiders aren’t in the position to do that unless they trade for a guy like Cousins who can win now. The reason why Love and even Mahomes could sit is because they had a guy ahead of them they could sit back and learn from. If they start Jimmy or AOC and the Raiders go through a rough patch there will be calls for the rookie to start. 

It’s better to have Baker for 30 million a year, then ruin a young QB.

If Love starting his rookie and or his second year he will be out of the NFL right now ( just think of the Jets two top QBs and they’re both bust.

Love sat behind Rogers for 3 years and Rogers sat behind Brett for for a few years and Brett didn’t start for a year and a half.

I know this sound old fashion but that’s the way it used to be and teams had good QBs for years.

1 hour ago, Justwinning said:

The QB position has evolved and Fields is better than what you’re given credit for. DJ Moore still had a productive season and I can see Adams still produce at a high level with Fields.

He’s a turnover machine I think he has 1.2 turnovers per game but I could be wrong.

17 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I’m not sure how well he’d be as he’s lost his athleticism which is a big part of his game. Plus aren’t the raiders on the hook for jimmy’s contract this season? If they are I can’t see scenario where him or AOC aren’t the starters with rookie in the wings. 

Yeah, we’ll still be paying Jimmy, either with him on the roster or via dead cap if we cut him, because it’s clear that nobody will trade for him.

BUT, we could pick up Russ for virtually nothing because of the way his contract is structured with Denver. He’s owed I think something like $37m next year, and the Broncos are on the hook for that whole amount, minus what he makes next year for another team. So we could theoretically pick him up on the vet minimum and have the Broncos pay the rest of his full salary.

Not saying I particularly want Wilson, btw, but in terms of a cost-effective solution at QB next year I can see the appeal.

7 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

It’s better to have Baker for 30 million a year, then ruin a young QB.

If Love starting his rookie and or his second year he will be out of the NFL right now ( just think of the Jets two top QBs and they’re both bust.

Love sat behind Rogers for 3 years and Rogers sat behind Brett for for a few years and Brett didn’t start for a year and a half.

I know this sound old fashion but that’s the way it used to be and teams had good QBs for years.

Like I said I agree. However I don’t think the Raiders would be able to do that. Let’s just say it’s week 7 and the Raiders are 2-5 or something. The good will to AP is gone. Fans chant the rookie’s name instead of raiders. Opposing team fans begin filling the stands again. There would be immense pressure to start the rookie. We just saw it happen this past season with AOC.

Like I said it only works if the team is winning. The packers went to the playoffs almost every one of Loves seasons he sat. KC when they drafted Mahomes had Alex Smith playing well and they made playoffs. 

If we end up with a mobile QB like fields or Daniels, do we implement two different Os in case AOC has to play?

I think AOC did great as a 4th round raw rookie, but in no way should he stop us from taking our guy if he’s there. 

I prefer a backup qb who can run the same system as the starter, and we all know Aoc isn’t mobile lol 

it shouldn’t effect who we draft, but something that may affect us down the line if a rookie qb isn’t ready to start or gets hurt.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

You are describing Terrelle Pryor not Justin Fields. Tell me you haven’t watched Justin Fields without directly telling me you haven’t watched Justin Fields.  He has great arm talent, kept the Bears in games with Darnell Mooney as his #2 WR, and has shown multiple flashes of incredible ball placement. 

Also, look up DJ Moore’s numbers and tell me that Davante won’t eat with Fields at QB. 

I think the issue with Fields is that he looked awful to start this year. He wasn't seeing the field, etc. Once he settled in, you saw incredible flashes from him on a very dysfunctional team with a horrific offensive setup. I do think he can be coached to play better in structure, but the stuff he does out of structure is incredibly special and those magic plays are what win games down the stretch, in the playoffs, etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NickButera said:

I strongly disagree. This might have been more so true a year ago, but he's playing on an atrocious, dysfunctional bears team. DJ Moore was top 5 in receiving yards. He had tons of dropped TD's on incredible plays this year. And he's shown significant progression as a passer that doesn't show up on his box scores. 

His game against the packers is a great example. The OL is getting KILLED all game and he's delivering accurate passes from the pocket and on the dead run.

His deep ball is also a huge strength and would be a great fit in this offense.

• Like 2

Fine, fine, I’ll warm up to Fields. If you guys warm up to JJ. Fields year one. Year Two starter depends if Fields did well, could be Fields or JJ. Year Three starter JJ (unless Fields is now a Top 5 QB, and if he is… great… recoup a 2nd from JJ). 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I strongly disagree. This might have been more so true a year ago, but he's playing on an atrocious, dysfunctional bears team. DJ Moore was top 5 in receiving yards. He had tons of dropped TD's on incredible plays this year. And he's shown significant progression as a passer that doesn't show up on his box scores. 

His game against the packers is a great example. The OL is getting KILLED all game and he's delivering accurate passes from the pocket and on the dead run.

His deep ball is also a huge strength and would be a great fit in this offense.

Very interesting tape. He looks better from the pocket than I thought & their line looks worse than I thought.

• Like 1

I’d give Fields a one year trial run with a QB behind him sitting for a year (Jayden, JJ, Nix) and if he does well, we either give 5th year option and have a trade piece or we move forward in AP’s 2nd full season with our QBOTF (Jayden, JJ, etc) depending on their development.

personally, I’d rather bring in Kirk Cousins if we are going in win now mode and based on comments from Tae in the recent interview, I feel like he’d be pounding the table for Kirk as he mentioned him a couple times. We’d still have cap space for an impact player or 2 on Defense after releases of Gimpy G and Renfrow as post June 1 candidates and use the draft to get help on the interior OLine as well as a FA starting caliber OG/C. Use #13 pick on a top CB, DT or RT selection to compete with Munford and trade up from our 2nd rounder to back end of 1st or early 2nd if Nix or JJ are there and then we have a rebuilt QB room of Cousins, Nix/JJ and AOC. Cousins is a stud, as long as his recovery is 100% which is said to be ahead of schedule and we need a veteran gunslinger who can push the ball downfield and take command of our new offensive scheme.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JarrodR86 said:

I’d give Fields a one year trial run with a QB behind him sitting for a year (Jayden, JJ, Nix) and if he does well, we either give 5th year option and have a trade piece or we move forward in AP’s 2nd full season with our QBOTF (Jayden, JJ, etc) depending on their development.

personally, I’d rather bring in Kirk Cousins if we are going in win now mode and based on comments from Tae in the recent interview, I feel like he’d be pounding the table for Kirk as he mentioned him a couple times. We’d still have cap space for an impact player or 2 on Defense after releases of Gimpy G and Renfrow as post June 1 candidates and use the draft to get help on the interior OLine as well as a FA starting caliber OG/C. Use #13 pick on a top CB, DT or RT selection to compete with Munford and trade up from our 2nd rounder to back end of 1st or early 2nd if Nix or JJ are there and then we have a rebuilt QB room of Cousins, Nix/JJ and AOC. Cousins is a stud, as long as his recovery is 100% which is said to be ahead of schedule and we need a veteran gunslinger who can push the ball downfield and take command of our new offensive scheme.

The problem is when it comes to fields is that once you trade for him you have to decide either one month or a few months later whether or not you're going to pick up the fifth of your option or not. That makes drafting a quarterback, tricky because of that contract.

If you draft the quarterback and you don't pick up fields fifth year option and he balls out now you're going to have to pay Big franchise quarterback money & you wasted a draft pick on another quarterback. if you pick up his fifth or option any balls out, you have them for one more year on a cheaper deal than what he would've gotten if you didn't pick up the fifth option. But even that comes with risks. If you pick up his fifth option and he's horrible next year you're stuck with his contract for another year. So it's one of those things where if you trade for him you have to commit. It's not gonna be one of those things where you draft a quarterback in the 1st. It's going to be because you believe in his ability to lead this team now into the next level and or you saw someone in the first round that you really like and that person's not a quarterback

• Like 2