QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

6 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

If we end up with a mobile QB like fields or Daniels, do we implement two different Os in case AOC has to play?

I think AOC did great as a 4th round raw rookie, but in no way should he stop us from taking our guy if he’s there. 

I prefer a backup qb who can run the same system as the starter, and we all know Aoc isn’t mobile lol 

it shouldn’t effect who we draft, but something that may affect us down the line if a rookie qb isn’t ready to start or gets hurt.

I can see the reasoning and it makes sense. Though I do also think sometimes it might be beneficial to have a backup who plays a different way, for example if a D has prepared for Justin Fields all week in this instance and their game plan is based on that, we throw in AOC who plays completely differently and would completely nullify their game plan of stopping a running QB………

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/01/21/raiders-lsu-jayden-daniels-draft-antonio-pierce
Raiders’ Antonio Pierce Endorses Idea of Drafting LSU QB Jayden Daniels

i'm telling you guys I don't know how it's going to happen, but somehow it's going to happen.

Just reading through that and I’m just sick, that 3 year $72.75 million contract for Jimmy Garoppolo might just be the worst contract in NFL history (maybe apart from the sexual predator in Cleveland) 😞😞😞

Edited to add I forgot about Russell Wilson too 😁 don’t feel too bad now!

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

The problem is when it comes to fields is that once you trade for him you have to decide either one month or a few months later whether or not you're going to pick up the fifth of your option or not. That makes drafting a quarterback, tricky because of that contract.

If you draft the quarterback and you don't pick up fields fifth year option and he balls out now you're going to have to pay Big franchise quarterback money & you wasted a draft pick on another quarterback. if you pick up his fifth or option any balls out, you have them for one more year on a cheaper deal than what he would've gotten if you didn't pick up the fifth option. But even that comes with risks. If you pick up his fifth option and he's horrible next year you're stuck with his contract for another year. So it's one of those things where if you trade for him you have to commit. It's not gonna be one of those things where you draft a quarterback in the 1st. It's going to be because you believe in his ability to lead this team now into the next level and or you saw someone in the first round that you really like and that person's not a quarterback

Agree 100%, and I wouldn’t give up anything more than a 3rd.. and I believe that 5th year option would have to be picked up by May 2024, which in that sense he wouldn’t have even played a down for us yet. I’m assuming if he did ball out, we’d either franchise him as a possible tag and trade (assuming we have a nfl ready QB on roster), or get comp pick if he leaves in FA w/out being tagged.. 

all that said, that’s why I’d be more inclined to go with a vet like Cousins.. he’s a FA, wouldn’t cost any picks, he’d have a solid WR group and an up and coming TE to work with. And statistically speaking, he’s put up great seasons over the last handful of years. Let a young guy sit behind him for a year or 2 to develop ala Mahomes, Love, etc. 

if we do go all-in on Jayden and trade for #3 with NE for example, then it tells me Mark will be patient with this staff if there are some growing pains and give AP 2-3 seasons to show we’re a contender. Personally, I wouldn’t see us as a worse team next season with Jayden than what we were this year with AOC

1. Caleb Williams (top pick)

2. Drake May (top 3)

3. Jayden Daniels (top 10)

4. Michael Penix (top 35)

If it’s not one of those QB’s I’d rather not spend top 2 round capital on a QB. It’s a bleak outlook next year for us it’s a QB room centered around AOC. 

Free agent class is underwhelming but I’d cut bait with Jimmy (no idea what that looks like financially) and go after one of the below ‘24 FA QBs. 

Baker Mayfield (unlikely)

Jacoby Brissett 

Sam Darnold

Gardner Minshew

Jake Browning 

Jameis Winston

A QB room of Jayden Daniels, AOC, and Jacoby Brissett would have me excited for ‘24. 

Edited by CaliforniaKid7

1 hour ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

2. Drake May (top 3)

If it’s not one of those QB’s I’d rather not spend top 2 round capital on a QB. It’s a bleak outlook next year for us it’s a QB room centered around AOC. 

Free agent class is underwhelming but I’d cut bait with Jimmy (no idea what that looks like financially) and go after one of the below ‘24 FA QBs. 

Jacoby Brissett 

Sam Darnold

Gardner Minshew

Jake Browning 

Jameis Winston

A QB room of Jayden Daniels, AOC, and Jacoby Brissett would have me excited for ‘24. 

If we can’t secure a rookie QB, I’d roll with Gardner Minshew from that list of vets. Browning would be interesting but you’d have to trade for him. I think he’s an ERFA so he’s not going anywhere through free agency.

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Just reading through that and I’m just sick, that 3 year $72.75 million contract for Jimmy Garoppolo might just be the worst contract in NFL history (maybe apart from the sexual predator in Cleveland) 😞😞😞

Edited to add I forgot about Russell Wilson too 😁 don’t feel too bad now!

I remember explaining to people that it doesn't matter how low his contract is upfront because he's going to eventually suck and we're going to want to cut him but we're not going to be able to without dead money. 

That's why I didn't care how much cheaper than car he was going to be this year

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

2. Drake May (top 3)

Jacoby Brissett 

Sam Darnold

Gardner Minshew

Jake Browning 

Jameis Winston

If we get Clint Shanahan to be the OC, I can see Sam Darnold having some kind of revival if we signed him. I can also see something similar if we got Shane Waldron to be the OC and signed Drew Lock

5 hours ago, JarrodR86 said:

Agree 100%, and I wouldn’t give up anything more than a 3rd.. and I believe that 5th year option would have to be picked up by May 2024, which in that sense he wouldn’t have even played a down for us yet. I’m assuming if he did ball out, we’d either franchise him as a possible tag and trade (assuming we have a nfl ready QB on roster), or get comp pick if he leaves in FA w/out being tagged.. 

all that said, that’s why I’d be more inclined to go with a vet like Cousins.. he’s a FA, wouldn’t cost any picks, he’d have a solid WR group and an up and coming TE to work with. And statistically speaking, he’s put up great seasons over the last handful of years. Let a young guy sit behind him for a year or 2 to develop ala Mahomes, Love, etc. 

if we do go all-in on Jayden and trade for #3 with NE for example, then it tells me Mark will be patient with this staff if there are some growing pains and give AP 2-3 seasons to show we’re a contender. Personally, I wouldn’t see us as a worse team next season with Jayden than what we were this year with AOC

The thing about Kirk cousins is you have to be ready to say the AOC is going to sit behind him, and potentially be the future, because their skill set is exactly the same

55 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

The thing about Kirk cousins is you have to be ready to say the AOC is going to sit behind him, and potentially be the future, because their skill set is exactly the same

Correct, however Kirk is the guy i’d go after if they are trying to build a legit contender next season, while bringing a QB along slowly, whether that’s AOC next season or a Nix/McCarthy... I think a more younger, more mobile QB can learn a Cousins style of offense and they are adding the ability to improvise and extend plays better.. this is the way I’m leaning with picking the BPA and if that happens to be a QB, WR, CB, DT, DE or RT, then so be it. Ideally with Cousins signed, I’d bypass a QB if the top 3 obviously are gone.

At RT, I think Munford has looked capable with only 4 sacks allowed and 1 penalty in about half a season worth of snaps. So unless a blue chipper is there, I’d probably bypass. WR isn’t the biggest priority but if one of the top WR are available, it would be something to consider. The pick I would most like to see would be either DT Newton or CB Wiggins. Either addition would help build this defense to a legitimate top 5-10 status. Pair a Newton selection with Leonard Williams (while cutting Tillery and saving around $4 mil) and i think we’d finally have a consistent interior pass rush with Crosby + Koonce and a hopefully improved year 2 Tyree wrecking havoc on the outside. Then at CB either Bennett makes a year 2 jump to start opposite Jack or we already have a FA CB in place already heading into the draft. Lastly, trade up from #44 if there’s a QB they are in love with in the back half of the 1st or early 2nd. If not, then Cousins is the starter with AOC continuing to develop and we punt a QBOTF selection until 2025 (Ewers, Sanders, Allar, Beck Weigman).

4 hours ago, JarrodR86 said:

Correct, however Kirk is the guy i’d go after if they are trying to build a legit contender next season, while bringing a QB along slowly, whether that’s AOC next season or a Nix/McCarthy... I think a more younger, more mobile QB can learn a Cousins style of offense and they are adding the ability to improvise and extend plays better.. this is the way I’m leaning with picking the BPA and if that happens to be a QB, WR, CB, DT, DE or RT, then so be it. Ideally with Cousins signed, I’d bypass a QB if the top 3 obviously are gone.

At RT, I think Munford has looked capable with only 4 sacks allowed and 1 penalty in about half a season worth of snaps. So unless a blue chipper is there, I’d probably bypass. WR isn’t the biggest priority but if one of the top WR are available, it would be something to consider. The pick I would most like to see would be either DT Newton or CB Wiggins. Either addition would help build this defense to a legitimate top 5-10 status. Pair a Newton selection with Leonard Williams (while cutting Tillery and saving around $4 mil) and i think we’d finally have a consistent interior pass rush with Crosby + Koonce and a hopefully improved year 2 Tyree wrecking havoc on the outside. Then at CB either Bennett makes a year 2 jump to start opposite Jack or we already have a FA CB in place already heading into the draft. Lastly, trade up from #44 if there’s a QB they are in love with in the back half of the 1st or early 2nd. If not, then Cousins is the starter with AOC continuing to develop and we punt a QBOTF selection until 2025 (Ewers, Sanders, Allar, Beck Weigman).

I agree with the 1st paragraph generally. I think if kirk is the qb, you have to protect him so I think we'd have to do better than Mumford(who played his best at rt). That would make Latham an option in rd one who is currently a RT rn. so if we dont go qb or trade up, I like either wiggins Newton or Latham. If we dont get Johnson or sneed in FA id bring Amik back and let him an bennett battle it out opposite of jones. I think leonard williams makes sense if we bring back Butler also.

28 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I am not a Daniels guy, and wouldn't hate it at 13. But trading up to the top 5 to get him will backfire in building the roster unless he's a true franchise altering talent.

Also, Daniels looks more like a point guard than NFL QB.

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Adams has endorsed Kirk Cousins and Jayden Daniels.

I mean, if you combine the two, you get prime Aaron Rodgers. 

Adams is aware that we can't actually combine the two, though, right? 

They're different QBs. Taking on both makes little sense as their needs foe success are way different. If we take Kirk, our offense wouldn't be tailored to Daniels' skillet, and vice-versa. 

Nothing against Kirk, but I wouldn't touch him at this point. Not a huge Daniels guy either, but between the two options he'd be the no-brainer. 

Build around O'Connell. Use the draft and free agency to address other needs. Address both lines, LB. CB. O'Connell is good enough for now. Who knows he might develop into something special. 

We got too many other needs to use capital to trade up to draft a QB. Way too many.