QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

Just now, PhillyRaider said:

Build around O'Connell. Use the draft and free agency to address other needs. Address both lines, LB. CB. O'Connell is good enough for now. Who knows he might develop into something special. 

We got too many other needs to use capital to trade up to draft a QB. Way too many. 

You can’t handicap AP like that, if he’s your guy you have to get him his guy at QB. Dude will be doomed from the rip if he has to try and build a team that can compete with Allen, Mahomes etc and he has to roll with AOC.

16 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I can see the reasoning and it makes sense. Though I do also think sometimes it might be beneficial to have a backup who plays a different way, for example if a D has prepared for Justin Fields all week in this instance and their game plan is based on that, we throw in AOC who plays completely differently and would completely nullify their game plan of stopping a running QB………

Yeah that’s a good point too, kind of the similar to the charger game mariotta came in, and did well as they weren’t prepared for a mobile qb. 

Aoc is definitely capable backup, come in and maybe surprise. 

but I’m definitely of belief that if your qb1 goes down your season is essentially over anyways, so I guess, your point is even more valid. 

if our qb goes down mid game, Aoc can come in with the change up. 
if our qb misses 4+ weeks or so, we probably aren’t going on a run anyway so not a big deal to worry about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You can’t handicap AP like that, if he’s your guy you have to get him his guy at QB. Dude will be doomed from the rip if he has to try and build a team that can compete with Allen, Mahomes etc and he has to roll with AOC.

I must have missed something, bro. I thought that O'Connell already beat Mahomes in KC and the Chargers and the Broncos. We might have our guy already in O'Connell. Why aren't you willing to give the kid a chance? 

The chances any of these QBs available in this draft are going to be as good as O'Connell will be next season is close to zero. Also, to your other point, if I were you I'd be ready to get disappointed if you want another QB other than O'Connell. 

Rumor is during the interview process, AP advocated for O'Connell being his starter. So that would mean that O'Connell is his guy.

Just now, PhillyRaider said:

I must have missed something, bro. I thought that O'Connell already beat Mahomes in KC and the Chargers and the Broncos. We might have our guy already in O'Connell. Why aren't you willing to give the kid a chance? 

The chances any of these QBs available in this draft are going to be as good as O'Connell will be next season is close to zero. Also, to your other point, if I were you I'd be ready to get disappointed if you want another QB other than O'Connell. 

Rumor is during the interview process, AP advocated for O'Connell being his starter. So that would mean that O'Connell is his guy.

I’m not going to take a flash in the pan brother, I want something sustainable. You’re way behind the curve if your offense is built around AOC.

Just now, NYRaider said:

I’m not going to take a flash in the pan brother, I want something sustainable. You’re way behind the curve if your offense is built around AOC.

You mean the QB who led the offense to the highest scoring game in Raiders history?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhillyRaider said:

Build around O'Connell. Use the draft and free agency to address other needs. Address both lines, LB. CB. O'Connell is good enough for now. Who knows he might develop into something special. 

We got too many other needs to use capital to trade up to draft a QB. Way too many. 

While I agree, losing resources on a trade up would be hard to swallow, building around a QB who can't move his feet in 2024 is misguided. He's a loss of down when pressured. He has no backup plan. You can't win with that. 

If you go into the season with AOC as the starter, you've signaled you're not serious about competing in the AFC with Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, Stroud, Herbert, etc.  

If the QB you trade up for is a franchise guy, then the picks to do it will quickly be forgotten. QB changes everything. But you miss and you're staring at a rebuild. 

• Like 1

Just now, big_palooka said:

While I agree, losing resources on a trade up would be hard to swallow, building around a QB who can't move his feet in 2024 is misguided. He's a loss of down when pressured. He has no backup plan. You can't win with that. 

If you go into the season with AOC as the starter, you've signaled you're not serious about competing in the AFC with Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, Stroud, Herbert, etc.  

If the QB you trade up for is a franchise guy, then the picks to do it will quickly be forgotten. QB changes everything. But you miss and you're staring at a rebuild. 

Tom Brady strongly disagrees with you.

Just now, NYRaider said:

It isn’t sustainable and our offense was pretty mid overall under AOC

Actually, I would argue that the other side of this statement is true. QBs who run are far more likely to suffer both catastrophic injuries and have far less lengthy careers. Stats prove this.

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I would tell you how dumb this statement this is, but you already know. 

You're the genius who tried to say you need a running QB to win. This goes against the facts. Running QBs almost never win. Look at the history of the league for an example. 

Accurate pocket passers will always win over a guy who relies onnhis legs instead of his arm and the facts of history say so.

6 minutes ago, PhillyRaider said:

You're the genius who tried to say you need a running QB to win. This goes against the facts. Running QBs almost never win. Look at the history of the league for an example. 

Accurate pocket passers will always win over a guy who relies onnhis legs instead of his arm and the facts of history say so.

The best accurate pocket passers today can still move. They aren't complete statues like AOC.

• Like 2