QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'd be all over Browning. 

I wanted to try and pry Davis Mills from Houston as I thought he did an admirable job with what he had. 

Browning is 3x better than Mills, imo. 

He's a guy I think you can get 8 seasons from, but still have options to upgrade. He doesn't play scared, he doesn't shrink in the moment, he brushes off a bad play like it's nothing, he's mobile enough but not reliant on it. 

I was worried he'd follow Callahan, but I can't see him going to Tennessee and competing with Levis. Too much of a gamble for him to jump into a competition AND rebuild given his age now. 

But for us? A good chance to start, especially if we draft and develop JJ, and not a total rebuild. 

If he winds up our QB2, that means we're in a good place. 

I thought about that but the problem is Aiden was better than him with worse play calling and a worse line. My critiria for a QB this year is it cant be someone that Aiden will beat out next year. 

20 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I thought about that but the problem is Aiden was better than him with worse play calling and a worse line. My critiria for a QB this year is it cant be someone that Aiden will beat out next year. 

Tier 1 options: Caleb, Maye, Daniels 

Tier 2 options: Fields, Baker, Russ

Tier 3: Jamies, JJ, Darnold, Cousins, Nix , Pennix 

Tier 4: Browning, Gardner, Brissett, Mariota, Lock, Huntley

Edited by Humble_Beast

49 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

We could dive in and really break it all down, but I don't care that much. 

Fwiw, I don't think O'Connell could beat Browning in a straight up QB competition though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Huh? Aoc was def not better than Browning, not even close. Aoc had one great game against a tanking Chargers.

Plus Browning is extremely mobile. AOC’s mobility is like a 1.5/10. Browning is like a 7/10. He was able to escape pressure all the time and extend plays. He also had 3 rushing TDs in 6 games. 

Edited by Tank4Drake

22 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Huh? Aoc was def not better than Browning, not even close. Aoc had one great game against a tanking Chargers.

Plus Browning is extremely mobile. AOC’s mobility is like a 1.5/10. Browning is like a 7/10. He was able to escape pressure all the time and extend plays. He also had 3 rushing TDs in 6 games. 

Aiden Oconnell 12TD 7INT 2218 10 starts 5-5

Jake Browning 12TD 7INT 1936 9 Starts 4-5

Jake is more mobile

Bengals Oline>Raiders Oline

Bengals OC> Raiders Oline

Bengals Wrs>Raiders Wrs 

Edited by Jeremy408

6 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Aiden Oconnell 12TD 7INT 2218 10 starts 5-5

Jake Browning 12TD 7INT 1936 9 Starts 4-5

Jake is more mobile

Bengals Oline>Raiders Oline

Bengals OC> Raiders Oline

Bengals Wrs>Raiders Wrs 

Where are Jake’s rushing TDs and rushing yards? He was a weapon in the redzone. 

Also the WR/TE cores are not that much different. Adams > Chase (close). Higgins >> Meyers (Higgins is overrated though). And our TE’s totally smoke theirs. 

AOC’s big game came against the Chargers, at home, a team who gave up on their coach. 

Browning’s big game came against a Top 12 D in the Jags, on the road, against a team competing for a playoff spot. 

Also, just watch the two of them play… Browning can actually float dimes, and is extremely smart when to use power in his throws or not. 

AOC is like Carr, just throw is as hard as you can no matter what…

51 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Also the WR/TE cores are not that much different. Adams > Chase (close). Higgins >> Meyers (Higgins is overrated though). And our TE’s totally smoke theirs. 

AOC’s big game came against the Chargers, at home, a team who gave up on their coach. 

Browning’s big game came against a Top 12 D in the Jags, on the road, against a team competing for a playoff spot. 

Also, just watch the two of them play… Browning can actually float dimes, and is extremely smart when to use power in his throws or not. 

How do you compare their olines?lol

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Tier 1 options: Caleb, Maye, Daniels 

Tier 2 options: Fields, Baker, Russ

Tier 3: Jamies, JJ, Darnold, Cousins, Nix , Pennix 

Tier 4: Gardner, Brissett, Mariota, Lock, Huntley, 

Man, my brain can’t quantify mixing matching in tiers both rookies, FAs and dudes we’d have to trade for. 

Not going to nitpick your list. However, one minor question, would you really be okay with bringing Mariota back? After his prev stint here, I know I’d be super unhappy. 

1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

I ended up watching a lot of Browning over the last few weeks as he ended up as my FF QB (and took me to the promised land lol). I agree with you and RonJon (and whoever else chimed in). If he’s available,  I’d be pretty happy with him as a mid-level placeholder 

37 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Man, my brain can’t quantify mixing matching in tiers both rookies, FAs and dudes we’d have to trade for. 

Not going to nitpick your list. However, one minor question, would you really be okay with bringing Mariota back? After his prev stint here, I know I’d be super unhappy. 

More like a Vet challenger to AOC at that point 

20 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Nice summary. You can probably add Russell Wilson into the #2 category because he's almost certainly going to be released by Denver and would be available for a very low salary. I don't want him, but I think he's a realistic option.

We're in a tough spot with where we are in the draft. It would be nice to be in a position to grab one of the top prospects, but we're going to have to give up a huge ransom to do it. One thing is clear, though - we absolutely must upgrade the QB position this off-season. Keeping the majority of the roster in tact and going with a stopgap vet feels like the most likely idea, imo.

I can't really see that Russell Wilson stuff...really doesn't seem like an "AP type Dog"

15 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Our OLine wasn’t as bad as you think it was. AOC was the biggest statue in the league and completely inflated sack numbers. 

OK let's play a game or would you rather

Would you rather have Orlando Brown or Kolton Miller

Would you rather have Dylan Parham or Cordell Volson

Would you rather have Ted Karras or Andre Miller 

Would you rather have Van Roton or Alex Kappa

Would you rather have Jonah Williams or Jermain Elumanor

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

OK let's play a game or would you rather

Would you rather have Orlando Brown or Kolton Miller

Would you rather have Dylan Parham or Cordell Volson

Would you rather have Ted Karras or Andre Miller 

Would you rather have Van Roton or Alex Kappa

Would you rather have Jonah Williams or Jermain Elumanor

We also need to remember that although AOC held onto the bal to long 7 of his 24 sacks came in his first game when we could not block Mack and refused to help out on him.  We definitely need to upgrade the o-line but I think AOC speeding up the clock in his head will help a lot also.  I want a new right side of the line.

43 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We also need to remember that although AOC held onto the bal to long 7 of his 24 sacks came in his first game when we could not block Mack and refused to help out on him.  We definitely need to upgrade the o-line but I think AOC speeding up the clock in his head will help a lot also.  I want a new right side of the line.

yeah, but the Bengals aren't thinking that they need a new right side their line. Which was the point I was making.